Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,537 times

Advertisements

6609 has it pretty straight, I don't live in FC but not far away. Most of the folks I know that live there love it. But too busy for me. Don't fool yourself about the weather though, even though the current temps are not average, triple digits are not that unusual and neither are below Zero.

Personally after living in CO my whole life (60 Years)I am leaving for slightly warmer and cooler average weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 PM

75 posts, read 111,605 times
Thanks Wirnot.
Slightly cooler and warmer meaning warmer winters, cooler summers?
It's funny trying to get this info online. You have to spend time there but usually to really get more accurate "actual" climate info, hearing from locals is best! Thanks!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:05 PM

192 posts, read 470,956 times
Mommalot, The weather is very variable in Fort Collins. Because of the altitude, sun and dryness it will be very different from where you're from.
With a lot of exceptions, here is my view of the climate in FC:
Mid may - late september : Typically cool mornings and then the daily temp can rise by 30+ degrees in the mid day, then drops again after sunset. Quick storms in the afternoons that might bring wind-lightning, but some good down pours.
Oct-Mid May : Cold mornings and evenings but can widely range in mid-day depending on the temps to the North. You might have a week in December that is in the 50's during the mid day OR it may not reach 15 at all. The sun shines a lot and the wind can be aggravating at times.
The Fall and Spring seasons are very short lived. ( naysayers check this years temps from March to April )
The Summer is fairly green and pretty vibrant. The Winters are sunny, yet the vegatation is brown. Bleak. The blue skys help a lot.

One concern I have in reading your post is that you think FC is " centrally located". There is really nothing to the East or West, nothing ( Cheyenne ) to the North, and Denver is an hour to the South. Be carefull with that one because I spent a LOT of weekends looking for something to do/go to after the mountains became routine and struggled with that.

Hope some of this, while just my opinion, helps.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:11 PM

Default Thank you krh6609

I appreciate your input, I think it is totally helpful. I know everyone will have tHere own take but in the midst a pattern will emerge.

We say centrally located (guess Loveland would be more central now that I think of it) because of the dentist population between FC, Loveland, and Longmont. While we have some clients in WY, but farther north and we have spent time during spring/summer months there and the ppl there we think are super welcoming, it is too cold and windy for me and my better half!

Our town has around 15k, the town five minutes south is a college town so that varies, and the main town half an hour south has 25k, though if you count the surrounding non incorp areas that goes up. So, the population in FC down to Longmont is a bit more than we have here. coming from SoCal we are not interested in moving back to a large city again so Denver is just right in distance away.

As far as temp, we haven't found a place yet that held a steady perfect temp all year. It is the norm we are interested in, not so much the spikes up or down. For myself, I will miss the lush green, but not all the rain and fog that makes it that way.

I appreciate your two bits, it is what I am looking for to help when we look at the whole package.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:20 PM

Good points to consider, thanks krh6609.

So I keep checking on you all over there with that fire. My heart goes out to those who are being affected. How is going for the general population and from the viewpoint in FC how is the fire changing your scenery?

Old 06-28-2012, 07:01 PM

718 posts, read 1,986,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommalot View Post
Good points to consider, thanks krh6609.

So I keep checking on you all over there with that fire. My heart goes out to those who are being affected. How is going for the general population and from the viewpoint in FC how is the fire changing your scenery?
The views from town have changed very little, but the scenery in our playground has been affected. Many here in town spend quite a bit of time playing in the mountains to the west, with the Poudre Canyon being one of the primary areas to escape town. This was one of the hardest hit areas, and the photos I have seen so far show quite a bit of change.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 AM

192 posts, read 470,956 times
Again, this is why I stress for you to make sure there is enough in town to keep you satisfied. Outside of Fort Collins for quick get-a-ways are Poudre canyon and Estes Park. Estes is a good first timers escape, but not really aplace that the average local would go to regularly. It's a lot of gift shops, but that's about it. Rocky Mountain Park is a great drive, but again, maybe a once a year thing. Unfortunately, now the Poudre canyon has burned and that is ( was ) the best option for a quick get a way from the town. It was where a lot of people would got to camp or see some water. Further beyond the fire area has been very affected by the beetle-kill trees and is a bit dangerous to hike/bike because these trees are standing dead and the wind topples them easilly. This fire was just the icing on a very delicate cake. While not much is seen from town, the recreation spots, which most people come to FC for, are disappearing at an alarming rate. All said, the next time you're out here, really spend a day in town and decide if it's a good place to set roots into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area