Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 PM

12 posts, read 31,877 times

Advertisements

Im still doing my research on Fort Collins, and I keep coming across alarming news! Well, it sounds alarming, but to most Colorado folks I guess it's not. What's the deal with radon? We are planning to move there due to my childs fire ant allergies (we live in Dallas) and my chemical sensitivity, which due to the pollution in Dallas, is exacerbated. I know there are ants in southern Co, but no one thinks there are any in FoCo yet. But I wonder if the amount of radon is something to worry about? I am an ex smoker too-but only of I a few months. It seems healthy people do not worry, and get mitigation systems, I wonder if anybody has a worry who is mildly immunocompromised.

Also, what's the deal with Rocky Flats? They are saying the dirt is still full of radiation, is that close enough to Fort Collins to be a worry? I need to stay away from any polluted areas. I have posted here before and am looking at areas to live near the Fossil Creek resevoir. The school area Im looking to live in is Zach, Preston, and Fossil Ridge. We may be looking at Timnath as well, for Bethke school and the same middle and high school. Any advice about pollution in that area?
I am also reading about the cases of hantavirus, and also the issues of west nile-is that resevoir area a bad idea? I just dont want to trade problem for problem. Everyplace has it's issues, I'm aware, but I'd really like to live in Colorado, so I hope it's not as major as the internet makes it sound!

I hate to bug people, but I find this is the best place for honest information! Thank you, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,310 times
Great post and questions. I'm curious as well. Hopefully someone will add feedback and information soon.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:21 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,720 times
I am not familiar enough with your condition to give you really good answers, but I can provide some information.

My buyers will usually have a home tested for Radon prior to the purchase (usually runs an additional $100 on top of the inspection fee.) Most will request the seller mitigate the Radon if levels are above the EPA mitigation threshold. Mitigation systems usually run in the $1000-1500 range, with some of the price difference being an "active" system vs. a "passive" system.

Radon can be spotty. I lived in a patio home on a small lot a few years back and the radon reading for the neighbors on either side of my home were around 3 pc/l, but mine was over 12 pc/l before the active mitigation system was installed.

The city puts out this brochure (which is supposed to be given to every potential buyer by any home seller in the city limits):
http://www.fcgov.com/airquality/pdf/radon-brochure.pdf
and has this page as a resource:
Radon: City of Fort Collins

Rocky Flats is about 35 miles south, south-west from the southern edge of Fort Collins, as the crow flies. Prevailing winds are from the west and north-west. I do not know how these factors affect any radiation effect on Fort Collins.

Mosquitos like water, so if you live near water, your chances of being bitten by mosquito increase. They may or may not carry West Nile. This summer will likely be pretty dry, so that may reduce the number of mosquitos and the associated chance of being bitten. I have personally been bitten numerous times in the past few years when the virus has been more prolific and less so, but without infection. I do try to take precautions in avoiding swampy areas and using insect repellent.

I hear of hantavirus and understand it can be a problem, but I believe it is carried by rodents and I typically avoid them. I do hike and mountain bike in areas with lots of prairie dogs, but they usually avoid me as much as I avoid them. I don't attempt to feed or pet them.

One consideration as you are looking at our area is the High Park forest fire currently burning north-west of town. While our pollution is not usually a problem except a few temperature inversion days in the winter, we have had a lot of smoke in town the past week or so from the forest fire. They say that even though they may have the perimeter contained in a few days, the fire may not be completely out until the first snow. This means that we could still have some smoke in town.

Hope this provides a bit of useful information.
Mike Weber

Old 06-21-2012, 06:06 PM

12 posts, read 31,877 times
thank you for the informative answer Mike-very much appreciated!

Old 06-22-2012, 02:49 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
We have a MAJOR thread on Radon in COLO, find it with the ADVANCED search tool by searching TITLES ONLY with keyword: Radon

From the MOD staff,
Here to help
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:56 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,932 times
One other issue with an active Radon system is the cost to run it. I had to put one in to sell a house I had and the electric bill shot up. Just a small fan but it runs 24/7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area