U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 22,953 times

Advertisements

My husband and I relocated to Fort Collins, Co. from Phoenix, Az. November 2006. we made the move due to my husbands career.

We feel we are having a bit of a struggle adjusting to Fort Collins. We like it here, but we feel like we don't quite fit in. I don't know if it is because of coming from a large metropolitan city, to a town of approx 130,000.

Decent paying jobs are hard to find also. Is the mentality different here? We are very outgoing people but it seems as though people here are territorial.

We don't think we will be here long term but we are trying to make the best of it.

Any feedback on living in Fort Collins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 01:04 PM

615 posts, read 2,154,893 times
Never lived in Fort Collins, so I can't comment on that. I do think that in any town with a big college there will be more competition for jobs. Many kids hang around after graduating, flooding the market with cheaper labor.

I don't know if your husband has the possibility of transferring to Denver, but I would think that wages would be better there. Though, CO's job market is pretty competitive, even with such a low unemployment rate. Maybe people are settling for lower paying jobs just to stay employed.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:37 PM

432 posts, read 1,373,084 times
What kind of jobs are you looking for? What kind of activities have you tried around here. I don't think I would call people territorial at all. What kind of activities are you missing from AZ that you have not found here? No doubt starting over is very hard to do. You need to find some group activites to join and get to meet more people. Let us all know what your interests are and maybe we can give you some suggestions.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:45 PM

69,698 posts, read 59,955,448 times
I have never lived in Ft. Collins, but I have lived in other college towns and found them a tad unfriendly. I know "friendliness" is in the eye of the beholder and has to do with me as well, but I think the transience of college towns makes people more likely to stick to themselves.

I would agree with joining some group activities. If you go to church, you might find one with a young adults group. If you like politics, you might volunteer for a campaign. Those are just a few activities. Watch your local paper. Sometimes these things seem a bit lame, but you will meet people that way. I joined a newcomers group, the activities were kinda "Stepford Wifish", but the people were nice. You could also try some recreation center sports.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:24 PM

19 posts, read 52,297 times
No offense to anyone but I beg to differ on some of the suggestions. I've lived in F.C. for over a year, and I still find the people here a bit unfriendly...even down right rude. I've tried some of those suggestions, and it didn't do much good. I, too, cannot seem to fit in no matter the activity I try. People here are rather cliquish. So who needs friends like that? I don't. But that is MY opinion.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:36 PM

5 posts, read 22,953 times
I appreciate your input. It is interesting to get a different point of view. I find it interesting that people here are very " group oriented" as far as activities etc. here. My assumption is that if you have not become familiar or involved with your neighbors or community, that you are not putting forth the effort. Therefore, if your not you do not involve yourself in groups ,activities etc. then you are doing something wrong? I apologize, but where I come from groups are a great source if you are looking for a specific topic , conversation, support, hobbie, etc. but it was never so difficult in my experience, amongst neighbors, co-workers, etc. I'm sorry but is that not territorial like a DOG trying to mark it's territory?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethingmissing View Post
No offense to anyone but I beg to differ on some of the suggestions. I've lived in F.C. for over a year, and I still find the people here a bit unfriendly...even down right rude. I've tried some of those suggestions, and it didn't do much good. I, too, cannot seem to fit in no matter the activity I try. People here are rather cliquish. So who needs friends like that? I don't. But that is MY opinion.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:00 PM

The group activities help you meet a lot of people, some of whom may become friends. I have lived in friendly neighborhoods and unfriendly ones, it's a matter of chance.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:13 PM

432 posts, read 1,373,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amolog View Post
I appreciate your input. It is interesting to get a different point of view. I find it interesting that people here are very " group oriented" as far as activities etc. here. My assumption is that if you have not become familiar or involved with your neighbors or community, that you are not putting forth the effort. Therefore, if your not you do not involve yourself in groups ,activities etc. then you are doing something wrong? I apologize, but where I come from groups are a great source if you are looking for a specific topic , conversation, support, hobbie, etc. but it was never so difficult in my experience, amongst neighbors, co-workers, etc. I'm sorry but is that not territorial like a DOG trying to mark it's territory?

I think we are all simply saying that unfortunately you ended up in a bad neighborhood and at a bad job. People in the midwest are usually known for their hospitality, not for being territorial, and you have not found that here. It is not that you are doing anything wrong, we are just trying to tell you that there are many nice people here and that you might want to go search those people out. In order to do that you have to venture out from your little circle of unfriendly people you seem to be trapped in.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:48 PM

19 posts, read 52,297 times
I'm not trying to start an arguement here..but I'd like to know why people assume that we, from different places, don't put forth the effort? Believe me, most of us do. And another thing, just out of curiosity, why is one of the first questions asked is about meeting people at church? Just because they go to church doesn't mean that they are friendly folks. Again, I'm not trying to start anything. I'm just curious about the assumptions people make.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethingmissing View Post
I'm not trying to start an arguement here..but I'd like to know why people assume that we, from different places, don't put forth the effort? Believe me, most of us do. And another thing, just out of curiosity, why is one of the first questions asked is about meeting people at church? Just because they go to church doesn't mean that they are friendly folks. Again, I'm not trying to start anything. I'm just curious about the assumptions people make.
A. I hear what you're saying. This very issue developed into a huge fight on the Pittsburgh forum. It is my opinion that yes, the old timers should welcome the new neighbors, catch them when they see them outside, go knock on their door and give a plate of cookies, etc. That is the neighborly thing to do. However, if the neighbors don't do that, then it's time for the newbie to do something else, whatever that something else would be. Someone over there suggested the newbie bring gifts to the old neighbors, someone else suggeted an open house. And there were the usual suggetions of group activities.

B. I think we were trying to be helpful. RE: church, it's just one suggestion. Yes, some are unfriendly. Then you try another one.

C. What I do not agree with, and what was said over there by some, is that the newbie is somehow turning off their neighbors, sending some sort of "leave me alone" message. I do not believe in blaming the victim, which may be a bit strong a word for this situation, but I can't think of another one.

Last edited by Katiana; 09-30-2007 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Add C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area