Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:22 PM

95 posts, read 290,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I was personally ashamed of my local towns' (Pueblo West and Pueblo) decision to proceed with fireworks displays but MrsGowdog and I decided to go investigate and make sure all was safe just in case.

Yeah i personally was happy about not having fireworks this year, Nearly 600 houses burned down with the waldo fire and the high park fire in the last month alone. Not to mention the state spent $50 million dollars just fighting those two fires.

Not having fireworks this summer was the smart thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 12:09 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
Have you ever been to FC? Central Park is miles and miles from the nearest fire danger. And as was pointed out there were fireworks displays in nearby cities.

Love how whenever someone complains about intrusive government the first thing you libs say is to move.
I'm sorry, I am against intrusive government as well, but do you not see the contradiction in this instance? the local government is the one who puts one the show, pay for the fireworks, pay the firefights and crews to set off the fireworks and ensure the crowd safety, and also the ones who decided to cancel the show this year, how is that interfering in your personal freedom?

Old 07-07-2012, 12:18 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,523 times
The same way the Coloradoan is a "liberal rag". I get a kick out of that everytime someone on here says it.

I think if Cob came to my town he might spontaneously explode from all the real "progressives".

FoCo definitely made the right call. It's called having respect for those who lost and work hard on the fire.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I was personally ashamed of my local towns' (Pueblo West and Pueblo) decision to proceed with fireworks displays but MrsGowdog and I decided to go investigate and make sure all was safe just in case.
Louisville and Lafayette cancelled their fireworks, but Broomfield's went on as planned. DH and I went there for the same reason.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:47 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,443 times
You went to the fireworks show to investigate and make sure all was safe?

Am I reading this correctly? So you thought that a spark from the fireworks show would start a fire and that then firemen could not handle the situation so you would keep things safe? I can just see you guys standing there wearing your Junior Fire Patrol hats ready to come to the rescue of our fire department.

Oh well, make as much sense as some of the other comments posted here.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:26 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,957,278 times
Quote:
And while nothing was said you could feel a spirit in the air that goes directly against the overpowering government that the libs are relentlessly campaigning for. Perhaps some changes in November.
What lack of freedom means to citizens of the many dictatorships in the world: A life lived in fear of being snatched off the street by authorities and imprisoned, tortured, or "disappeared" with no recourse.

Lack of freedom to a right-winger in the US: A city-funded fireworks is cancelled because of fear that the hot and dry conditions will lead to a fire that will have to be fought by tax-payer funded firefighters. Private citizens are not allowed to celebrate their country by blowing up a tinder dry piece of it.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:02 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,443 times
Won't argue about this being relatively small potatos. The big potato comes in November when the great destroyer of freedom, the tyrant in the white house gets the boot.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:58 PM

166 posts, read 432,752 times
Did you really just say 'the great destroyer of freedom'? .......

Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:

Am I reading this correctly? So you thought that a spark from the fireworks show would start a fire and that then firemen could not handle the situation so you would keep things safe? I can just see you guys standing there wearing your Junior Fire Patrol hats ready to come to the rescue of our fire department.

Oh well, make as much sense as some of the other comments posted here.
Speaking for myself, I was joking. I interpreted McGowdog's post as humor as well. For crying out loud!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 PM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
Quote:
I was trying to be a smartass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area