Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 6,207 times

Advertisements

Hello all, we are a family of 4, 2 kids. Husband and I are in our mid thirties. We are relocating from Missouri to Colorado. We are just taking a leap of faith and looking for a new adventure. I lived in Colorado as a child and always wanted to come back. We are looking at the Fort Collins area because it seems to be a better area for raising kids and I have heard the school system is better. Is this true? Is there a lot of crime and or gang activity? Hubby has a good job history, so should it be easy for him to find work? I am a Photographer and will need to build up a new clientele there. I'm sure there are a tons of us there lol, like here, everyone does photography. My 13 year old son is very very into sports like Football, Wrestling, Weight Lifting etc. Any school that would be better for that? Thanks for all your advice and answers. We are also looking to meet families with children who like to hang out, watch movies, go on outings etc. We are very family friendly! We will know NOONE so, it would be nice to have someone to talk to! Thank, Misty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:04 PM

718 posts, read 1,977,938 times
Welcome to our area! Jobs are not super easy to come by, so it might be a good idea to check into that a bit more before making the leap. Schools in town are good and there is not a ton of crime here. I moved back to Fort Collins 15 years ago to raise my kids here, after an absence of a few years.

I hear from newcomers that it is not always easy to meet people here, but if you participate is activities, especially with kids, it becomes easier. The city has a great recreation program through which we met several people over the years. You can find many of the activities in the local Parks and Rec department publication called the Recreator.
: City of Fort Collins

Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 PM

4 posts, read 6,207 times
Thank you so much for your advice!

Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 AM

45 posts, read 183,615 times
I would also look into Windsor.. I mighe be a little biast (living here my entire thirty some years). It is located in between Ft Collins, Greeley, Loveland, etc. Then no matter where you or your husband lands a job at, your only looking at a ~15-20 minute commute. Smaller (16K) bedroom community, very little crime, one of the best school districts with excellent sporting programs, etc. Also very close to everything like Centerra, Budweiser center, etc.

good luck..

Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 9,062 times
Misty,
My husband, two kids, and I just moved here ourselves on a similar adventure from TX only 7 weeks ago. It's not as bad as folks make it out to be- they told us it would be extremely difficult for my husband to get a job as a teacher, and he had a job with Poudre within the first month we were here. Just have to be smart and persistent. When are you planning to take the leap?

-Melissa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area