Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,934 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are considering buying a home in Harvest Park. The Ruff feedlot on the east side of Harvest Park concerns us. Does anyone know if this is an active feedlot and is it something we should be concerned about? Any information about this feedlot would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 11:09 AM

718 posts, read 1,977,193 times
Thank you for doing your research before purchasing rather than buying and then complaining about the feedlot after the fact. This happens with farms, feedlots, airports, railroads, businesses, roads, etc. quite often. If I am not mistaken, that farmer / businessman had to stop his feedlot operation after many years due to complaints and pressure from neighbors who purchased new homes nearby without doing their research prior to their purchase. (To be fair, they may have also been misled into believing that the feedlot was closing by someone attempting to sell them the property.)

The Ruff Feedlot property has been annexed into the city and is currently zoned LMN, or "Low Density Mixed-Use Neighborhood District". If you wish to find what uses are allowed, you may look at the city land use code here.

The property is about 5 acres and was listed for sale as development land a couple of years back. I do not know the current status of the property, or if the feedlot could resume operation, but perhaps a call to the city planning and zoning department might help with your due diligence.

Thank you again for doing your research prior to making your purchase.

Good luck!
Mike Weber

Old 08-31-2012, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,934 times
Thanks for your reply Mike. My wife did in fact contact planning and zoning and the response we got (below) is similar to what you are saying. I was hoping to hear the perspective of someone who actually lives near the feedlot and whether they have issues with it (eyesore, smells, noise, resale implications, etc...).

From planning and zoning:
Quote:
Harvest Park was developed on what was previously the Ruff farm. The Ruff’s kept a portion of their property for their feedlot. I don’t know if it’s still in operation there or not, but if the feedlot use has been abandoned for at least 12 consecutive months, it can’t be reestablished. The property is zoned LMN, which does allow muli-family development as well as limited types of commercial uses (offices, small retail, hair salons, etc).

Old 10-08-2013, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,571 times
Default Moving to Fort Collins looking at Harvest Park help!

Did you move to Harvest Park? How do you like it? We will be moving in about 3-4 weeks and could use any advice. Is the neighborhood nice? What do you recommend? Is the feedlot active? Any issues with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area