Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:26 PM

34 posts, read 73,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRScott View Post
Agreed. I've driven through Lincoln several times on my way to the new race track in Hastings, NE and, I dont mean to offend anyone that's from the area but Lincoln looked kinda run down and dumpy. Now granted I never strayed to far from my route on SR2 and I-80 but what I saw from the freeway looked like crap. Have been to Omaha several times during trips to Mid America Motorplex and it always looked like a nice, decent, albeit sleepy city but Lincoln...not so much.

Just my $0.02.

It's a matter of being smart, financially. FoCo costs more. A lot more. If I mess up, I can't return back anywhere. I have no family, and after this house sells I'm on a one way trip.

Anyone have any experience with ABQ, NM? That seemed like another viable option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 02:57 PM

57 posts, read 125,050 times
Default Foco vs. Lincoln

Hey, I'm your man.... I was born/raised in Lincoln, lived there for 24 years, and recently just moved out of Fort Collins after living there for 3 years. I'll try to break it down short and sweet for you.

1. Both cities are good choices, and I would recommend both.
2. Fort Collins is NOT that much more expensive than Lincoln. It might be slightly more than Lincoln, but VERY VERY slight. Maybe $100/more month for housing. Fort Collins isn't Denver. You're making it sound like it is a lot more expensive. Don't. Its not.
3. If you like outdoors, Fort Collins beats Lincoln, hands down. Period.
4. Weather in FOCO is much better than Lincoln.
5. Nightlife is good for both.
6. I would say schools in FOCO are better than Lincoln, but both decent. For community colleges, you'll go to SCC (southeast community college) in Lincoln, and FRCC (front range community college) in FOCO. I would say FRCC is better than SCC, but UNL is better than CSU.
7. If you like sports (college football), lincoln is awesome.

Overall I really liked living in both locations, and you can't go wrong with either. Feel free to message me and specific questions and i'd be glad to answer for you.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesla30 View Post
Hey, I'm your man.... I was born/raised in Lincoln, lived there for 24 years, and recently just moved out of Fort Collins after living there for 3 years. I'll try to break it down short and sweet for you.

2. Fort Collins is NOT that much more expensive than Lincoln. It might be slightly more than Lincoln, but VERY VERY slight. Maybe $100/more month for housing. Fort Collins isn't Denver. You're making it sound like it is a lot more expensive. Don't. Its not.
6. I would say schools in FOCO are better than Lincoln, but both decent. For community colleges, you'll go to SCC (southeast community college) in Lincoln, and FRCC (front range community college) in FOCO. I would say FRCC is better than SCC, but UNL is better than CSU.

Overall I really liked living in both locations, and you can't go wrong with either. Feel free to message me and specific questions and i'd be glad to answer for you.
I popped up two quick pet friendly examples for the prices in housing that I really liked.

Ruskin Place Rentals - Lincoln Apartment Rentals

The Greens at Van de Water Rentals - Loveland Apartment Rentals

I even emailed the Loveland one, explaining that I'd be able to pay them in cash for the entirety of the lease. They still told me that I'd need a cosigner, which is going to be "extremely" difficult to do.

I'm really not sure what my total monthly expenses would be. At the current moment, my annuity stipend pays for all of my bills, and the money I make working goes towards food/entertainment/gas.

My guess is if I drop myself to a rental under 900ish per month, the 1300 a month I make will pay for my rent, my internet, my phone, and my utilities. I don't want a cell phone, that's the lifestyle I'm trying to get away from. Nor do I need cable.

Which would essentially put me right back to where I am now, which is that I would work a part time job in order to pay for my food/gas/entertainment, or it would come out of my money from selling the home.

I would prefer FoCo over any other place, but I'm trying to be very cautious with the financials. Again, I have no backup options. I need to get my undergrad in, and hopefully save a bit for grad.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:24 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRFalconpunched View Post
I even emailed the Loveland one, explaining that I'd be able to pay them in cash for the entirety of the lease. They still told me that I'd need a cosigner, which is going to be "extremely" difficult to do.
That makes no sense whatsoever; if you're paying cash in advance, they have all of their money, in hand. All of their risk is covered, in advance.

So those folks are ones you would not want to deal with, ever.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
That makes no sense whatsoever; if you're paying cash in advance, they have all of their money, in hand. All of their risk is covered, in advance.

So those folks are ones you would not want to deal with, ever.
It is a "really" lovely looking place though, and is super close to the community college. I wouldn't even need to drive, which would lower my overall costs.

I'm thinking it could just be that the woman who answered my emails was a receptionist or something of the sorts. Perhaps I could email and ask to speak to someone higher up.

My thought process is that I'll pay for the entirety of the lease upfront each year, as the stipend money will refill my coffers.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:07 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
Quote:
It is a "really" lovely looking place though, and is super close to the community college. I wouldn't even need to drive, which would lower my overall costs.

I'm thinking it could just be that the woman who answered my emails was a receptionist or something of the sorts. Perhaps I could email and ask to speak to someone higher up.

My thought process is that I'll pay for the entirety of the lease upfront each year, as the stipend money will refill my coffers.
You might consider trying to find a rental through a private party, rather than an agency. In my experience (and I worked at a rental agency while in college at CSU) they have policies in place for renting to students that often cannot be changed. Most of these policies are there because many students are not the best tenants. You will be much better off trying to find a rental on your own. You probably aren't finding many rentals at this point because school just started and they are all taken. Give it a few months and check back.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
You might consider trying to find a rental through a private party, rather than an agency. In my experience (and I worked at a rental agency while in college at CSU) they have policies in place for renting to students that often cannot be changed. Most of these policies are there because many students are not the best tenants. You will be much better off trying to find a rental on your own. You probably aren't finding many rentals at this point because school just started and they are all taken. Give it a few months and check back.
The problem is that the agencies usually have a place readily available.

I am in the situation that I cannot move until my house has sold for lack of funds, but once my home has sold, I have no-where to go. I will need a property immediately, but I've not a clue as to when I need it. It could be in a month, a year, two years, etc, etc.

Can anyone do a breakdown of FoCo utilities? I'm used to spending at least a few hundred a month on electric/heat. I hear you guys are a bit cheaper.

I have 1300 to spend, I'm assuming I'll spend 900 on rent. Let us then say that I'll pull out 500 out of my savings per month for living expenses (Or get a part time job that will net me at least 500 a month, so that I can then use 200ish and put myself at 2k per month). That's 6K per year out of my savings if I don't work, which will last me until I get my money at 25.

Also, how easy is it to get a weekend type job? I could always just become a stripper

Old 09-17-2012, 06:47 PM

57 posts, read 125,050 times
Quote:
I popped up two quick pet friendly examples for the prices in housing that I really liked.

Ruskin Place Rentals - Lincoln Apartment Rentals

The Greens at Van de Water Rentals - Loveland Apartment Rentals

I'm really not sure what my total monthly expenses would be. At the current moment, my annuity stipend pays for all of my bills, and the money I make working goes towards food/entertainment/gas.

My guess is if I drop myself to a rental under 900ish per month, the 1300 a month I make will pay for my rent, my internet, my phone, and my utilities. I don't want a cell phone, that's the lifestyle I'm trying to get away from. Nor do I need cable.

Which would essentially put me right back to where I am now, which is that I would work a part time job in order to pay for my food/gas/entertainment, or it would come out of my money from selling the home.

I would prefer FoCo over any other place, but I'm trying to be very cautious with the financials. Again, I have no backup options. I need to get my undergrad in, and hopefully save a bit for grad.
Loveland is not Fort Collins....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:

cost of living in Denver is actually lower then it is in Fort Collins.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Loveland is not Fort Collins....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
I know that, but that location is pretty close to downtown FoCo. It seems like it would actually be closer than living on the far north or west side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area