Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 PM

4 posts, read 5,792 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that when I go into the MLS large pieces of land (between 3-5 acres) restrict the use to " 1 unit allowed" is there a procedure to submit some sort of request to modify that? We are 3 families, we'd like about an acre each so that each one can build a home. I've also noticed different zoning designations like "AG" or "F1" etc..whats the difference? I went on the city website and really wasnt able to tell the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM

99 posts, read 226,063 times
Here's a link to the city's zone abbreviations. I don't see AG or F1 in there. http://www.fcgov.com/zoning/pdf/land...ing-matrix.pdf

According to this page http://www.larimer.org/codecomplianc...ling_units.pdf you would just need to get the right land use approval/permit and you'd be fine. You could probably also subdivide the lot into three separate acres and each build a house on your own parcel. The county folks could probably tell you the advantages or disadvantages of keeping the property together or separate.

I don't see AG or F1 listed on the county site, either. But I haven't looked at everything they have. I'd recommend calling the county and running it all past them. I'm sure there's no problem with doing it, you just need to get the right permits to move forward.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,792 times
thanks for the info

Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
You will likely find it much cheaper to buy 3 adjacent rural homes. You definitely DON"T want to by 3-5 acres and go to the cost, pain, planning , timing delay... of splitting up a parcel. There are LOTS of Gotchas.

I search the area, find some regions I like and start mailing the owners to see if they are interested in selling. This works great for me. (and has for 30+ yrs and MANY properties).

BEWARE of ALL the costs of building (I have done plenty of that too, and had my kids build and design their own rural homes as homeschool projects.)

Nothing, ez, or cheap about that, and certainly not quick! Be sure to check for "impact fees". Some areas charge for converting bare land into residential (cuz U now use the SERVICES of the community). Properties are still VERY cheap (compared to costs of building).

Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Another thing to look at when trying to build a house is water rights or tap fees, depending on if you are in an area with city water or not. Water rights do not always transfer with the land

Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,985 times
AG and F1 are not zoning districts within either Fort Collins or Larimer County.

Here is a list of zoning districts and their allowed uses for Fort Collins:
http://www.fcgov.com/zoning/pdf/land...ing-matrix.pdf

Larimer County's zoning district map shows the various zoning districts on the right side:
http://www.larimer.org/planning/plan...map_county.pdf

In order to see what is allowed in each district, you can check the Larimer County land use code.

In order to do something like you are suggesting, you would need to go through special review. Often times this is not allowed as it increases the density of an area that is supposed to have low density. Increased density can bring impact fees and require improvements to infrastructure such as roads and utilities.

Mike Weber
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area