Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,742 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm sure this forum is filled with others just like myself and I'm hoping to gain a little insight. I am a recent graduate with my BA in psychology and I have applied to a Master's program at CSU. I've had a desire to live in CO since I visited in 2010 and have avidly been trying to make that happen in the last few months. Although I will not hear back from school untill March or April I am trying to get myself to CO as soon as possible. I have applied to multiple jobs and have had no success since I do not live there. I don't have any relatives or friends that live in the area, so I cannot use anyone's address. I'm just looking for advice from locals. I have experience in fine dining and other customer service outlets. Is it an awful idea to try and get out to Denver and find a job as a server/some other means to make it work? And does anyone have any reccommendations for places to apply or look?

Any advice would be appreciated greatly.
Thanks!
Em
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 PM

136 posts, read 460,865 times
Two questions...

The first is: do you have any savings to live off of for a few months until you find a job and get established? If not, I would suggest you start saving now (probably at least 3 months of living expenses) where you are at, before you head out. Service industry jobs like you've suggested aren't necessarily hard to find (if you have experience especially on the food-service side of the house) but the competition is relatively stiff especially in higher end and better paying establishments. You've also got that psych degree, so you may be able to broaden your job search horizons a bit.

Second question: You've applied to the masters at CSU, does that mean you will be going to school up in Fort Collins? Or are you doing the online Masters program and living in Denver? These are two very different areas (college town vs. big city). So your chance of finding a room to rent with other grad students until you find a good job is higher (and likely cheaper) up in Ft Collins. Not to say there aren't plenty of opportunities to do the same thing in Denver, but once again cash-flow becomes an issue. You don't want to end up having to use your grad school loans to pay rent.

Obviously leaving home and establishing yourself in any new place without a job is a risk. I'm not saying it can't pay off for you....but have a backup plan or savings to make sure you don't end up moving back to where you're from broke and disappointed.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 4,742 times
I do have a savings I could live off of for a bit. That raises a question for myself, how much is enough? I've heard some people say at least $3000. I know that depends on my own expenses, but is there any recommendation?

As far as the second question, yes. I plan on going to school in Ft Collins but I was unsure about the viability of the city there. I know Ft Collins is about an hour away so I have played with the idea of a commute, but that is all IF I get accepted into the program. So I guess I was thinking I should at least get my foot in the door in the state so I might be eligible for some jobs with my degree (such as state jobs only available to residents).

I'll have to do more research for the Ft Collins area. Thanks for the advice though, gives me a bit more confidence.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiller07 View Post
I do have a savings I could live off of for a bit. That raises a question for myself, how much is enough? I've heard some people say at least $3000. I know that depends on my own expenses, but is there any recommendation?

As far as the second question, yes. I plan on going to school in Ft Collins but I was unsure about the viability of the city there. I know Ft Collins is about an hour away so I have played with the idea of a commute, but that is all IF I get accepted into the program. So I guess I was thinking I should at least get my foot in the door in the state so I might be eligible for some jobs with my degree (such as state jobs only available to residents).

I'll have to do more research for the Ft Collins area. Thanks for the advice though, gives me a bit more confidence.
If you are going to school at CSU, live in Fort Collins, not Denver. Then move to Denver after you graduate when you start your career full time. It's not "about an hour away"-- from downtown to downtown it's a solid 1 hour, 15 minute drive, bare minimum, assuming no adverse weather conditions and zero traffic (which almost never is the case). Fort Collins is a nice college town and considered by most to be a very desirable place to live. If you don't want to live there for two years (or however long the master's program runs), then don't go to CSU.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 AM

255 posts, read 710,818 times
Wait until you hear back from the University, and then you can decide where to settle. Save more money over the next few months, and then move. Moving once is much cheaper, and you could settle close to the University if you know you will attend there in the fall.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
$3000 will cover moving expenes and first and last month rent. I would feel more comfortable with $10k set aside.

Are you doing a FT masters? in Psych? If it is held in FtC, you DEFINATELY don't want to be in Den. Ft C has EVERYTHING and transportation costs and time are very taxing on a student's budget and resources.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:45 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Yeah, $3000 could get burned up quick. Much more would reasonably be needed. Fully understand *all* of your current expenses before making any new moves. Better to be over-prepared than to have an "oh no" moment.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:47 PM

21 posts, read 38,685 times
I graduated from CSU in '10 and lived in Fort Collins for four years. I agree with the above posters that you don't want to live in Denver. For a period of time, I had a job that required me to commute to Denver for occasional meetings. The drive to Denver can actually last up to to 2 1/2 hours when the traffic is at it's worst. I was constantly late for meetings despite my best efforts to give myself adequate time for the trip. I couldn't imagine making a regular commute between Fort Collins and Denver.

I managed to maintain employment all four years at CSU. Wages in Fort Collins are low though and competition for restaurant jobs will be tough; you're up against every other student who's looking for a job. I had success with the campus job postings that are made available to students. But you have to be accepted into the school and given a user name to access these job boards. I was able to use the job board to find work fundraising for the university (which was actually a pretty good job) and a second job at the front desks in the dorm. I'm sure there's probably better opportunities open to graduate students. You should definitely bring money to fall back on while you're securing your first job.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:33 AM

15 posts, read 58,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiller07 View Post
Hello,

I'm sure this forum is filled with others just like myself and I'm hoping to gain a little insight. I am a recent graduate with my BA in psychology and I have applied to a Master's program at CSU. I've had a desire to live in CO since I visited in 2010 and have avidly been trying to make that happen in the last few months. Although I will not hear back from school untill March or April I am trying to get myself to CO as soon as possible. I have applied to multiple jobs and have had no success since I do not live there. I don't have any relatives or friends that live in the area, so I cannot use anyone's address. I'm just looking for advice from locals. I have experience in fine dining and other customer service outlets. Is it an awful idea to try and get out to Denver and find a job as a server/some other means to make it work? And does anyone have any reccommendations for places to apply or look?

Any advice would be appreciated greatly.
Thanks!
Em
You'd be much better off living in Fort Collins and working as a server in one of the many restaurants in town. You'll be able to find a less expensive place to live in FoCo relative to Denver as well. Why commute if you don't have to?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:38 AM

20 posts, read 63,531 times
I'd much rather live in Cheyenne Wyoming and commute to Fort Follins.
Denver - no way. Greeley, Loveland, yeah.
Plenty of work in FC, Chey., Loveland, and Greeley, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area