U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:00 PM

10,066 posts, read 13,955,197 times

Advertisements

I just saw your housing $$$ no way. Try 300k plus for those requirments. You could get a place in the ghetto for that money like north aurora or Montbello, just kidding don't even think about living there. Broomfield would probably be around 250k maybe Westminister would you agree folks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 PM

13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonfam View Post
My husband and I have been talking about moving. We are originally from California and are currently living in Arkansas. We're not very happy here.

We both like the sound of Colorado but neither of us knows much about it.!
Curious- what is "the sound of Colorado" that appeals to you?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,531,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Curious- what is "the sound of Colorado" that appeals to you?
The hills are alive with the sound of music.

I find it strange that many want to move to a place because they heard a sound or saw a picture and really, people should visit first. With as cheap as airfare is and the fact Colorado is central in the USA, it's not hard to reach it from anywhere by car, no excuse not to visit. Colorado is not an ordinary place. It's not like moving from Alabama to Mississippi.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 PM

8 posts, read 10,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The hills are alive with the sound of music.

I find it strange that many want to move to a place because they heard a sound or saw a picture and really, people should visit first. With as cheap as airfare is and the fact Colorado is central in the USA, it's not hard to reach it from anywhere by car, no excuse not to visit. Colorado is not an ordinary place. It's not like moving from Alabama to Mississippi.
I guess if money, getting time off and having someone ready to take care of your pets for free are all not an issue then yes there is no excuse not to visit

I have wanted to visit CO for a few years now and whenever we had the money saved up (if you're flying it's atleast $150 per person, we have three in our family, then there's the hotel cost, food, rental car, need close to $750-$1000 to just visit for a week) something always happened to where we couldn't. Kid gets sick, you get called to work OT/cant' get time off work and a million other reasons. Furthermore we are blessed with family and friends that would help take care of our cat for free while we were away, if not that's one more burden to add to the list. Just trying to say, as someone that has tried repeatedly to visit, even when we had the money saved up which was the hardest part for us, we were unable to. I would think for anyone $1000 is a lot of money, more so for young families such as the original posters in this thread. We live in Texas by the way which is just one state away. For us it was a cheaper option to drive (still needed $400+ for gas alone, but saved a little that way because we wouldn't have to rent a car if we drove).

I do agree that Colorado is not an ordinary place though. Therein lies the attraction

Old 03-30-2013, 02:37 PM

13,294 posts, read 25,470,882 times
I still wonder how Colorado sounds to the OP who mentioned that. Not being sarcastic, but wondering what strikes a chord. My first experience with CO was when I'd carelessly moved to Santa Fe at age 25 and had real culture shock (in addition to finding-work difficulty). For various reasons, I had cause to drive up to CO a few times, always taking back roads. It looked like heaven (and felt like a return to America) and I think that's what I pictured Santa Fe being like (having moved there with no more info than their weekly Sunday newspaper, put out by the Chamber of Commerce or close to it).
That annoying "Rocky Mountain High" song kept coming up. Of course, route 9 through the mountains in the summer isn't exactly a turn-off. I had no idea about the rest of the state until making trips there, being on this forum, and generally trying to take a good look.
Then again, I always knew that work in a rural area would be tough, if not impossible, and that likely I wasn't going to move to, say, a farming area. I did get my RN with the vague plan of being able to live anywhere (thinking by then of coastal Maine) and somehow didn't get very far, although it was nice to know I could have.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 64,861 times
We've lived in Colorado now for only 2 years and have seen many changes, mostly not good ones. The new guns laws really suck and the Colorado officials will regret seeing the budget crash. Hundreds of families are canceling their vacations and companies moving to other states because of these new laws. They were passed in a " knee jerk reaction" to the Sandy Hook event. How can 3-4 people decide how I can defend my family?? I'm from Arizona and I'm starting to think it was a big mistake moving here. For the most part, the country is beautiful and the people are awesome but I feel there will be a mass exodus from here.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:24 PM

833 posts, read 1,434,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyjohn View Post
We've lived in Colorado now for only 2 years and have seen many changes, mostly not good ones. The new guns laws really suck and the Colorado officials will regret seeing the budget crash. Hundreds of families are canceling their vacations and companies moving to other states because of these new laws. They were passed in a " knee jerk reaction" to the Sandy Hook event. How can 3-4 people decide how I can defend my family?? I'm from Arizona and I'm starting to think it was a big mistake moving here. For the most part, the country is beautiful and the people are awesome but I feel there will be a mass exodus from here.
We can trade places!

I will gladly take Colorado and it knee-jerk gun laws (that are actually overdue IMHO); you can have Arizona where guns are not just OK damn near everywhere, they are encouraged (free shotguns in the high-crime neighborhoods of Tucson!)

Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 PM

222 posts, read 368,925 times
Be careful what area or community you choose in CO. CO can be redneck, it can be liberal, it can be hippie, depending on where you live. Colorado Springs: military town = conservative. Boulder: college town, New Age/spiritual (home to a well-known Buddhist center). Denver: you can't afford it. Some of the smaller towns, like Carbondale, outside of Aspen, are nice, with a progressive bent. Do your homework so you don't end up making a big mistake.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,633,186 times
Suburbia does not equal diversity.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 PM

2,139 posts, read 5,633,186 times
Colorado Springs is affordable for many people. Not really diverse, but the is a variety of neighborhoods - it is not necessarily a giant suburb, but close. There are certainly liberals here, in pockets: downtown, west side, manitou springs.

Personally, I'd love to move to Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area