U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 AM

98 posts, read 192,906 times

Advertisements

We've lived in this area for almost 2 years. Moved from Central California, and I also lived in Tucson, AZ for several years during college. I think A/C is necessary here to be comfortable. We use ours extensively all spring/summer/fall. We live in a new attached dwelling with all the bells/whistles as far as insulation and energy efficient and still use it a lott. But I don't like being hot inside, so that's part of it. I also don't like opening the windows all the time, as it makes it so much more dusty inside the house, which then results in a lot more cleaning (with 2 kids under 2 years old I don't need to add to my troubles!).

As far as area, we LOVE south/east Fort Collins. I also really like the Centerra area of Loveland, and the Thompson River Ranch subdivision. It's technically in Johnstown, but is adjacent to Centerra. Johnstown annexed the land, but it's nowhere near the actual town. My parents own a rental house in that neighborhood. There's a really nice pool, park, and frisbee golf course in the neighborhood as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 09:15 PM

24 posts, read 59,306 times
Very interesting post. Tltravels; have you found a place in Loveland yet? I am in a similar situation as I currently am renting in Prescott Valley, AZ. I have been in this area for 1.5 years and am now contemplating a move to Loveland as well. I spent a couple days there a few weeks back and looked at real estate in all areas of town. From my limited time there I concur with previous posters regarding the west side seeming the nicest.

I have researched the tax situation in CO and overall it is not much different than AZ. The sales tax in Loveland is actually 2% less than Prescott Valley. With the defeat of Prop 66 income taxes are also a bit less. Property taxes are a bit more though. I know I will have to pay more in rent in Loveland than Prescott Valley. Loveland rent seems to be similar to Prescott though.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:48 AM

8 posts, read 42,011 times
Kimjady - I have been living in Loveland since June and like it much better than Prescott. I got lucky and rented a house a couple of blocks from Lake Loveland in an older but good neighborhood (Cherry Hills). There is much more diversity in age (not so much race) in the Loveland/ Fort Collins than in Prescott. There is also much better opportunity for a variety of shopping choices and needs in this area. When I lived in Prescott I found myself making the 2 hour drive to Phoenix once or twice a month for shopping excursions. I have never had the need to drive to Denver (1 hour drive) yet to get anything I wanted that I could not get in this area. The flipside to that is the traffic is horrible especially in Fort Collins. It makes the drive on HWY 69 Between Prescott and PV pale in comparison. I find myself driving to Fort Collins a lot so If I could do it over I may have chosen FC. The downside is the traffic and also rentals are more expensive and harder to find then in Loveland.

What I miss most about living in Prescott was the relatively close proximity to Sedona and the Grand Canyon. I traded that for the ability to be at 10,000 feet elevation in Rocky Mountain National Park in 90 minutes and Estes Park in less than an hour. Unfortunately since the Great Flood in September I have not been able to visit these two areas. The repair work to roads and bridges that has been accomplished by Colorado Dept. of Transportation and the National Guard has been amazing and I hope to be able to return to RMNP in the beginning of December.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:01 AM

24 posts, read 59,306 times
tltravels- I was going to private message you but not sure that is possible on this site. You are right on with your observations regarding the differences from Prescott to Loveland/Fort Collins. Age and traffic are the two things I also noticed right away. I don't mind the age of Prescott as I am 55+. The traffic in the Denver and outlying areas is definitely a negative however. I think Phoenix has done a much better job with highways. Denver is way behind when you consider their metro area is approximately half of PHX.

On the plus side; Loveland to Denver is half the distance of Prescott to PHX. I haven't decided for sure but will make the final decision by March. Thanks for your insights.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:42 AM

99 posts, read 190,796 times
Here's my take on the A/C question. We live in Old Town, Fort Collins in a 91 year old house. With the lathe and plaster walls, the house holds in the cold very well. At night we open up all the windows, turn on the attic fan, and suck as much of the cold night air in as we can. In the morning, we turn off the fan, shut all the windows, and our house stays quite comfortable until about 5 or so. (It all depends on how often we went into and out of the house and if the kids left the doors open.) At that point it's usually starting to cool down outside and we can open windows up again. We've never felt the need for air conditioning in our 12 years here.

On the other hand, a friend of ours lives near Prospect between Taft and Shields in a 1960s or 70s house. No matter what they've done (add awnings, use fans at night, etc.) the house gets really hot in the summer. They've had to add A/C.

So I think it all depends on the quality of the building you're living in. If you're in anything made before WWII, then you probably won't need A/C. If you're living in something that was built well since that time, ditto. But if you live in a cheaply made house/apartment, you'll need A/C or strong insulation.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,407 posts, read 39,749,277 times
Keep your eye on places in Cherry Hills (Like your find on Abeyta Ct). Many homes in that area have basements (Cool in summer and extra space for your projects). (tho I still prefer Waterdale or Masonville road due to rural / quiet and closer to Mtns).

Even from Cherry Hills...
Many 'backroads' for quick access N-S-W and even to DIA.

Denver... seldom a need to go there. Amazon can cover the commerce needs except the Airport. Colorado Springs I enjoy and make it a point to commute to there LATE at night. (Also worth looking into as a place to move)

From Loveland, I do all commuting OFF hours, avoiding HWY 34 and 287.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area