Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 PM

13 posts, read 35,198 times

Advertisements

Hello,
This is sort of a 2 parter.
1) I was thinking of going to Front Range Community College for a Graphic Design Technician certificate--what do you think of Front Range? What is it's reputation? I'm in my 30's and would quit my job to do this.

2) What are my options in the Fort Collins area for learning graphic design. Is there anything besides enrolling at CSU and the <few> classes offered at Front Range?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandinkalya View Post
... Graphic Design Technician certificate--what do you think of Front Range? What is it's reputation? I'm in my 30's and would quit my job to do this.

2) What are my options in the Fort Collins area for learning graphic design. Is there anything besides enrolling at CSU and the <few> classes offered at Front Range?

Thanks so much!
Where you coming from?,
How much do you expect to have saved?
Will you work while going to school?
Do you have friends or family nearby to ease expenses?

Why Ft Collins?

I'm sure the entry level stuff is fine at Frt range, but I would be researching particulars from grads and future employers.

I will GUESS Boulder to have more jobs in your field. (which I woud definately be working in the field while schooling.)

Are you sure you want to pursue a certificate program? Income may be limited. I don't know enough about the field to give you the stats, but any state employment office can do a regional and local search to inform you of potential career growth, and companies that hire in your field, and regional employement / unemployment stats in a particular job classification.

Ft Collins should have some jobs, but generally it's tough to get a decent position in Ft Collins.

In general, there are a LOT of underemployed and over educated people in Ft Collins. (Desirable location that has had significant layoffs in High tech + retained CSU / CU / UNC / UW students who want to stay in the general region).

For similar climate / recreation and more jobs, less competition look to SD, WY, and MT

Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
I would do lots of research on the training options (not just in FC, but in other towns in N. CO). Also do lots of research on future job possibilities (likewise in towns in the area). Like StealthRabbit mentions, it's hard to get a decent position in FC. You'd probably be competing with folks with Bachelors degrees, and/or certificates from better schools than FRCC. I've been involved with the job search effort myself, and haven't come across many graphic design positions in the area, though that's not what I'm looking for.

I'd boost the training - a better degree and/or better school - and be open to working in other areas (especially the much bigger job market closer to Denver). Good luck!

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 05-01-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 PM

13 posts, read 35,198 times
Thank you Stealthrabbit and Sunderpig for your responses!
I have lived in Fort Collins for 6 years. I have an very unfufilling job in a totally different field, currently. My husband would support me while I'm in school and I do have some money saved. I thought the certificate program would be a good way to "get my feet wet" regarding graphic design. It takes 1 year, full-time. I already have a bachelor's degree in another field. So...I already live here and I'm interested in graphic design. I thought Front Range would be a good way to get started and exploring the field, but I have no idea if it's a good school or not. There are more opportunities elsewhere, like Denver, but I don't want to move.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
OK, thx for the info... completely different animal.. (I thought your were single, living thousands of miles away, quitting job, coming to program at FCC)

There are many options for you to get into this field and STAY in Ft Collins. I would suggest taking some PT employment in that field BEFORE JUMPING. Start digging from employment options, since you are already there, that is a BIG plus. Get some informational interviews with places you are interested in working (I would do that TODAY!! before summer).

Eventually most of your work may be online / from home. But at least you can stay in FC.

I know there are LOTS of ex HP employees doing graphic arts / marketing graphics, Testing new printers...from home in Ft Collins, maybe they need an apprentice!

Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 PM

42 posts, read 247,371 times
I wouldn't recommend FRCC

Old 07-24-2013, 04:35 PM

7 posts, read 10,305 times
I just received my Graphic Design Technician certificate from FRCC! I am currently am in an internship in Boulder, but there are many opportunities in Fort Collins and beyond.

I really liked the education I got at FRCC. I previously earned a B.A. in Studio Arts at CU, which was focused on the high art rather than skill. I learned more at FRCC than at CU. FRCC teaches you the software and encourages concept and critical thinking. Most teachers are former or current designers. I personally liked Lori G and Deb C at FRCC-Longmont, but Dale R in FRCC-Fort Collins was a great teacher as well, especially for someone just getting into it. Tamera M was a great teacher too, a hard-a** who made sure you really believed in what you were doing.

You have to keep on top of the stuff and be engaged with learning and seeing design outside of the classroom (just like any education). There are a lot of slackers, but there are many more motivated students.

I would NOT recommend taking the online classes, they just go through the "teach yourself" books and have very little feedback/interaction.

Front Range is a quality education, I definitely would recommend attending.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:39 PM

7 posts, read 10,305 times
ALSO: I took 2 yrs to complete the 30 credit course, working PT.

A certificate is fine to have, graphic design is a field where your talent matters more than your education. If you're self taught and have the talent, they will still hire you.

craiglist/med and denver egotist for job listings.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:48 PM

108 posts, read 340,350 times
Suggest learning at Lynda.com, which is online courses by professionals. Adobe.com has free training videos on there, too. I live and work in FC, and its been very difficult to find graphics jobs. Many more seen in Boulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area