U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:39 PM

10,065 posts, read 13,955,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I don't see the connection. Can you please enlighten me?
Related to my post. Sign of desperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 04:44 PM

851 posts, read 848,988 times
I don't know how common "sandwich boards" (a person wears 2 large signs front and back and walks around) were pre/post 1920s Great Depression, but until the sign spinning "fad" started around when the 2008 Great Depression hit, I would only see an occasional person in a furry costume, a person dressed up as the Statue of Liberty for a local tax service and high schoolers waving for a car wash fund raiser.

So OldTrader, I strongly disagree. :-)

Old 10-19-2013, 05:02 PM

36,962 posts, read 45,404,903 times
I live in the Savannah area, and this phenomenon is new to me. I must say that it does draw attention to a business that would otherwise not be noticed.
I wonder where they find the kids to dance and wave signs for hours on end in the heat. It is something I would like to know more about. Like, is there an agency that hires people to do this? How much are they paid?

Old 10-20-2013, 09:58 PM

8,944 posts, read 8,047,583 times
Jayway

It is nothing new. Has been going on for more than the past 40 years in many cities. It just keeps growing, as one merchant tells another about it in another city. They try it, and find that it draws customers at a lower cost than any other form of advertising. It is especially prevalent where a business is a little hard to spot location, and brings a cheap harder to find location into a business level of one in a much higher priced location. Cost of the spinner is far less than getting a better location.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:37 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,620,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
I don't know how common "sandwich boards" (a person wears 2 large signs front and back and walks around) were pre/post 1920s Great Depression, but until the sign spinning "fad" started around when the 2008 Great Depression hit, I would only see an occasional person in a furry costume, a person dressed up as the Statue of Liberty for a local tax service and high schoolers waving for a car wash fund raiser.

Real estate developments were using them throughout Colorado between 2004-2006, the difference was that those actually doing it were much younger then some of the ones you see out there now.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 AM

11,671 posts, read 8,261,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post

The first time I saw a sign spinner was in the mid 90's in SoCal. The economy was doing quite well at that time.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 PM

603 posts, read 733,291 times
Pretty much just a more modern version of barkers; people paid to stand before the entrance to a show, or a carnival, or even a business to solicit customers with a loud sales spiel or sometimes a street act. That has been going on forever.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:29 PM

76 posts, read 129,532 times
I know that sometimes it provides a job to someone with limited skills. I would much rather see a sign spinner that is receiving a paycheck than some one on a corner with a sign asking for money.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 PM

10,065 posts, read 13,955,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanormun View Post
I know that sometimes it provides a job to someone with limited skills. I would much rather see a sign spinner that is receiving a paycheck than some one on a corner with a sign asking for money.
Agreed , but the bum with the sign makes more, $300 day sometimes, spinner don't think so.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:37 PM

370 posts, read 394,654 times
I'm with jayway. Sign spinning was something I almost never saw until about 2008. It really didn't come in vogue (at least in the Denver Metro area) until the financial collapse hit. If you saw it before then, you laughed at it. It meant the business was desperate and going to be out of business in 3 months, and the person doing it was a loser. Now, it's just another thing that people do simply to keep their heads above water because there are no real jobs.

They used to have one outside of an apartment complex I used to live in. The guy twirled a sign. In a cow suit. During rush hour. Touting our MOOOOOOVE in specials. It made me feel slightly ashamed to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or