Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 12:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,613 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'll be graduating this coming spring with my B.S. (will be 22 years old) and have already secured a job in the Greeley area (Evans). I'll likely be starting work at the beginning of Aug. 14' after my last "hurrah" of a summer vacation. I'm trying to get an idea of what area would be a good fit for me to move to. I grew up in the St. Louis, MO area and went to college in a small MO town. I did, however, spend my last summer in downtown Denver (2 blocks from Coors Field) and absolutely loved the culture and general vibe of the area. As much as I'd love to move back to central Denver, the commute would be too far.

I will be renting wherever I go, and it is also important to note that my office will be moving from Evans to Platteville, CO within the next 0.5-1.5 years. I hate the idea of having a commute that is much longer than 30 minutes one-way, but can live with it for a little while.

Just from the map I've considered Loveland and Windsor to the West, Longmont to the Southwest, and Brighton directly South. I also suppose Greeley is a perfectly viable option as well. I'm definitely a suburbs or city guy, but love to be a weekend warrior and get away from the crowded areas and out to the hills (or now mountains as it stands!). Thus as of now, Longmont seems like the best option as it gives me proximity to the mountains, a decent commute after the office moves to Platteville, and puts me smack dab between Loveland and Denver, both of which I'll probably be visiting relatively frequently.

My real question to you all, is what are each of these (or surrounding) areas like? I'd like to be in an area that's very sociable, preferably leaning towards 20 something/single rather than married/family. I have only a few acquaintances who live in downtown Denver, and otherwise will be looking to make all new friends. Ideally I'd like rent a house with 3-5 rooms split between as many people to jump start a social circle.

Lastly, as far as budget goes, I would prefer to remain on the cheap side (~$400-600/mo). I'm not one to care much about having stainless steel appliances, 9 ft ceilings, or hardwood floors; functionality (a garage space for outdoor gear and a motorcycle) is the king. However, I can afford anything on up to $1,000/mo or so if my budget plans are just unrealistic.

Thank you for any and all input!

*Also, I'd like to take up cycling, so a pro-bike area is a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 07:45 AM

18 posts, read 27,868 times
Hi JustRidin! Congratulations on graduation and employment! I predict you'll love it here

Our family just moved to Loveland from Minnesota this past summer. We were looking at living anywhere along the Front Range, and my first choice was Longmont, but my husband got a job in Loveland. Loveland has exceeded my expectations, but I have two school-aged kids and I would definitely say Loveland is more of a "family town," which is great for our stage of life. (It's also bike-friendly, with bike lanes and trails all around town.)

From what you've said about your situation, I think Longmont sounds like a great fit. It would still probably be less singles-friendly than Denver or Fort Collins or Boulder, but more so than Loveland or Windsor. I don't know much about Greeley except that being a college town, again you'd probably have a more singles-friendly community (and I think it would be cheaper living than Loveland or Longmont). But anything east of I-25 is just not as aesthetically pleasing (in my opinion) or as close to the mountains/foothills.

My bro-in-law lived in Brighton for a while, but I never learned too much about that town. It would certainly put you closer to Denver, but also I'd think your access to the mountains would be more limited than if you were in Longmont.

Longmont is definitely bike-friendly, and gives you pretty easy access to Boulder (which abounds with singles life, biking and mountain access) without having to pay the high cost of living in Boulder. Without splitting rent with roommates, I don't know that you'd find anything in the $400-600 range, but you could definitely spend under $1000. Cheaper rents in Longmont tend to be on the north side, as I recall from my own research of that town.

Also, one of my favorite bloggers, Mr. Money Mustache, lives in Longmont - Mr. Money Mustache

Best wishes as you finish the school year and make your moving plans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area