Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 04:15 PM

32 posts, read 122,170 times

Advertisements

I've been really attracted to UNCO and I have a decent chance to get in, and I won't beat a dead horse about the cow-smell and crime rates as I've read many threads about that, but is there anything to do in Greeley?

I've been to the meat district in China and I'm sure the cow smell cannot beat it so that's not a problem for me. But is Greeley a "boring" town as others say it is? I know it's not going to be a Denver, but I'd like to know about the surrounding area should I be accepted to UNCO. A mere college visit won't speak for the whole town and I'm willing to give it a chance granted that it's not in the middle of no where (i.e an hour proximity to Denver and not as far from Fort Collins)

Also, what is the median apartment rent and how is the public transit?

Any additional information would be loved! And as you can tell, I'm very anxious (in the good way) to know more about Colorado and cannot wait to hear back from colleges.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 11:48 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,941,331 times
Fai0607 wrote: Anything to do in Greeley?

Nah, nobody never does nuthin in Greeley!

Old 09-30-2012, 03:42 PM

Haha well I'm sure there's something in Greeley! :P

Old 09-30-2012, 11:46 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,239,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fai0607 View Post
I've been really attracted to UNCO and I have a decent chance to get in, and I won't beat a dead horse about the cow-smell and crime rates as I've read many threads about that, but is there anything to do in Greeley?

I've been to the meat district in China and I'm sure the cow smell cannot beat it so that's not a problem for me. But is Greeley a "boring" town as others say it is? I know it's not going to be a Denver, but I'd like to know about the surrounding area should I be accepted to UNCO. A mere college visit won't speak for the whole town and I'm willing to give it a chance granted that it's not in the middle of no where (i.e an hour proximity to Denver and not as far from Fort Collins)

Also, what is the median apartment rent and how is the public transit?

Any additional information would be loved! And as you can tell, I'm very anxious (in the good way) to know more about Colorado and cannot wait to hear back from colleges.

Thanks in advance!
Why would someone from out of state want to go to UNC, as opposed to CU Boulder or CSU Ft Collins, which are better schools in MUCH more exciting college towns? I can't think of any reason why someone should attend UNC and pay out of state tuition rates if they're not getting a scholarship or a WUE program or something. Greeley is a very boring place. At night their downtown resembles a ghost town. The cow smell is on and off, depending on where in town you're at and what day it is, what direction the winds are blowing. The last few times I've been there I didn't notice any smell at all. Greeley is a way's east of the mountains and most of it does not have any mountain views. Really, it resembles Nebraska more than what is commonly thought of when people think of "Colorado." Greeley is well over an hour drive to downtown Denver and a little bit under an hour to downtown Ft Collins. Both drives will get old fast if it's something you plan on doing on a regular basis.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Why would someone from out of state want to go to UNC, as opposed to CU Boulder or CSU Ft Collins, which are better schools in MUCH more exciting college towns? I can't think of any reason why someone should attend UNC and pay out of state tuition rates if they're not getting a scholarship or a WUE program or something. Greeley is a very boring place. At night their downtown resembles a ghost town. The cow smell is on and off, depending on where in town you're at and what day it is, what direction the winds are blowing. The last few times I've been there I didn't notice any smell at all. Greeley is a way's east of the mountains and most of it does not have any mountain views. Really, it resembles Nebraska more than what is commonly thought of when people think of "Colorado." Greeley is well over an hour drive to downtown Denver and a little bit under an hour to downtown Ft Collins. Both drives will get old fast if it's something you plan on doing on a regular basis.
I cannot afford CU Boulder by any means |D and I'm not much into the party scene but at least it has life there. I don't have the grades to get into CSU Fort Collins as much as I'd really like to though... but again I can't afford around 24k in tuition per year as opposed to 14-16k. I've been looking at Fort Lewis and UCCS as well. I know I can get into Western state but according to my friend, Gunnison IS pretty but there's nothing to do there.

Ugh. I took 3 hour bus rides at least four times a week in China and that got old after the third time. I can't fathom -driving- on a regular basis to some entertainment.

Sometime at the end of this year or early next year I'll be going to CO to check out the campuses and local area. Pretty bummed that Greeley is boring, I want more to a college life than just education and in-school activities. How far would a local hospital (for volunteering) be? Or any stores for food goods too for that matter?

Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,724,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Last I checked UNC's business program was considered better then either CSU or CU, and most business people who I have talked to feel the same way. Not to mention the nursing and teaching programs are also very highly regarded.

Greeley is also actually closer to downtown Denver, and it usually takes me much less time to get to downtown Denver from Greeley then it does from Fort Collins.

I have found there are actually better mountain views from Greeley then there are in many places around Fort Collins, I much prefer the panoramic view of the larger mountains, then the view of the brown and green mix of the smaller hills leading into the mountains that you usually see.

As for things to do in Greeley, it is a much smaller town then either Fort Collins or Boulder, so there are not a ton of things to do for the younger crowd, however there is not really all that much to do in Fort Collins outside of drinking or going hiking. Neither one are close to the ski resorts, there are music shows at the thunder mountain amphitheater and the Budweiser event center has some minor league hockey, arena football, but both are off of I-25 outside of Windsor, and both are about a 20 minute drive from either town. There is a ABA basketball (kind of like a double A baseball) team in Eaton if you enjoy basketball. There are a few college age bars around Greeley, they are just a little more spread out then old town in Fort collins. Also there are usually plenty of parties around the college in Greeley, which is cheaper then going to the bars all over Fort collins. Also there used to be rec leagues for pretty much any kind of sport you would like to play in either town, both have some good golf courses.

All that being said if public transportation is a requirement, I think you will find both towns lacking although Fort Collins is a little better. Neither one of them have very good bus systems, and both seem to shut them down somewhat early. Neither one has what I would call a dependable taxi company either, although I have met people in both towns that do not own a car and are happy with their ability to get what they need done.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,724,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fai0607 View Post
I cannot afford CU Boulder by any means |D and I'm not much into the party scene but at least it has life there. I don't have the grades to get into CSU Fort Collins as much as I'd really like to though... but again I can't afford around 24k in tuition per year as opposed to 14-16k. I've been looking at Fort Lewis and UCCS as well. I know I can get into Western state but according to my friend, Gunnison IS pretty but there's nothing to do there.

Ugh. I took 3 hour bus rides at least four times a week in China and that got old after the third time. I can't fathom -driving- on a regular basis to some entertainment.

Sometime at the end of this year or early next year I'll be going to CO to check out the campuses and local area. Pretty bummed that Greeley is boring, I want more to a college life than just education and in-school activities. How far would a local hospital (for volunteering) be? Or any stores for food goods too for that matter?
I have a cousin and a couple of friends that went to school at Fort Lewis they loved it there, although they enjoyed hiking and skiing, and spent much of their free time doing that kind of stuff.

Another school to look at is Colorado Mesa University in Grand Junction it seems to be a decent school.

One thing you are going to have to realize is that from the sounds of things, you will not be happy at any of the schools you are talking about though, they are all smaller cities, with limited things to do for someone not into the bar scenes or hiking/ camping lifestyles.

One other suggestion I would make is to look into going to Metro State in Denver for a couple of years, and then transferring after 2 or 3 years to CU Denver or DU, the cost of metro state is cheaper then other colleges in the state, and it shares it's campus with some other schools. Then when you transfer you will still get your degree from the school with a higher standing in education, but will save some money, and live in an area I think you will be happier with.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:51 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,267,853 times
Why not go to a SUNY save a lot of money on tuition, and move here when you're done with school, if that's your goal?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,239,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Last I checked UNC's business program was considered better then either CSU or CU, and most business people who I have talked to feel the same way. Not to mention the nursing and teaching programs are also very highly regarded.
I have heard about the teaching program. A lot of my teachers growing up were UNC alumni. But business? You're the first one I've ever heard who thinks UNC has a better program than CU or CSU.

US News & World Report ranks CU Boulder's Leeds School of Business at #84 in the nation, which admittedly isn't very high up the list, but it's the only business school in Colorado in the top 100. Best Business School Rankings | MBA Program Rankings | US News

At the company I work for we hire about a half dozen new college grads (both with undergraduate and masters level business degrees) every year and recruit from all of the major universities in the Front Range. It has been at least several years since we've hired anyone from UNC. We went to their campus career fair recently this year and got a few dozen resumes. We didn't select a single one to interview. The selection there seemed very weak compared to the other schools in the area. So many of them had misspellings on their resume it was appalling. Another school we receive a ton of resumes from but rarely hire from is Metro State. Like in past years, we interview and hire a lot of people from CU, CSU, UCD, and Regis, in that order. And it may be anecdotal, but from other people I know in my industry it's a very similar story.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:27 AM

78 posts, read 128,538 times
Greeley has a bad rap, you're well aware of that, but I have chosen to make it my hometown. I am 30 and have lived here for 4 years.
Here's why:
Low traffic
Taking Hwy 85 I can get to downtown Denver in just over an hour. Love that!
There is a big push to revitalize the downtown area of Greeley. This past summer there was live music almost every Friday and Saturday night downtown! Check out their website. Greeley Downtown
Great local eateries. (Santeramo's, Rumi's, Mad Cow, Palomino, etc.)
Thriving art scene. There are multiple galleries, the Northern Colorado Clay Center, great art festivals throughout the summer.
Beautiful parks (make sure to visit Glenmere).
Kress Cinema. This is a movie theater that has been restored downtown. They show new releases, free screenings of classics most Sunday nights, host sing-along movies, live music, sporting events on the big screen, etc. They sell all your favorite popcorn and candy, but also make out of this world sandwiches and salads. Even serve cocktails!
Our town also hosts: two historical museums, a miniature train museum (surprisingly fun), an ice skating rink, two rec centers (one of which has a small indoor water park), two bowling alleys, two movie theaters (plus the Kress), a multitude of bars, restaurants, pubs, etc., some great coffee houses (Zoe's, Your Place and The Blue Mug @ Margie's stand out), a great library system that also offers special events, easy access to Fort Collins, Estes Park, Boulder and most other places along the Front Range.

It's not a hopping, vibrant city that pulses with life 24/7, but it's a decent place to live with a better than decent college. And really, liking where you live has a lot to do with what you make of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area