U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 05:21 PM

18 posts, read 22,836 times

Advertisements

Alright, a very specific question here, on the off chance someone might know something. Our family of four (husband and me, two elementary-aged kids) is considering buying a condo that's for sale in the Northwest 9 Condos on 28th St, just off of Taft, on Cattail Creek Golf Course in Loveland.

We toured the condo and fell in love with it. The setting is peaceful and well-kept, location a little further from downtown than I would prefer but still bike-able.

Our biggest concern is that we might be the only family with children living there. That's not necessarily a show-stopper, but we've driven through there a few times in the past week and have hardly seen anyone around, and no signs of other children - except for the unit that we are looking at! (I know, it's January, so that doesn't necessarily mean much).

I'm just wondering if it's mostly retirees and young childless professionals. Again, this could be fine - but we love a good neighborhood where we can enjoy spending time with our neighbors. Also, though my kids are older and pretty well-behaved, they're still kids, and I'd hate to feel like we'd always need to be quieting them down so they don't disturb neighbors who aren't used to having kids around.

So, my question - does anyone happen to know anything about this particular condo community - who lives there, the general vibe, etc.? Anything anyone knows, I'd love to hear it! (Also, we've never owned a condo before, only single-family houses, so any advice regarding the difference is welcome).
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,803 posts, read 41,457,887 times
I haven't been in that condo, but I really like the area and have tried to buy some of the adjacent duplexes for many yrs.

You have pretty good access to parks and walking areas nearby. I'm sure the kids will be fine. We homeschooled, so as a family worked with elderly neighbors one day / week. It really was special for my kids, and they were well received in many adult social venues (as in tutoring / classes / community leadership) cuz they knew how to converse and listen to elderly folks, and were not 'generationally-deprived'. . I doubt there are 100% older adults in that condo. BE careful about the HOA / rules... but you just need to learn to live within them and not fight the usual OCD person that is president of HOA and a 'misplaced' micro manager. The sky is not falling. This too will pass. just be mellow. (now legal in CO (and WA) )

Old 01-23-2014, 12:57 PM

18 posts, read 22,836 times
Thanks StealthRabbit! Coincidentally, my kids and I are talking about homeschooling next year - and I was already thinking about not just elderly condo residents, but the nearby assisted-living facility where we could visit occasionally, maybe play some music for the residents, etc. But considering homeschooling, it would be nice to be walking-distance from the library, have a yard where we can make a mess occasionally, learn through gardening, keeping chickens possibly (which we've done before), etc. . .

Wherever we end up, I know we can make it work and have way more than we need to live well. First-world problems!

Old 01-23-2014, 01:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,803 posts, read 41,457,887 times
There are a few larger lots / gardening options south and walking distance to the Main library and Chilson center (south of 1st street). Can be a sketchy neighborhood in some areas, but there are pockets of older 'small' homes w/ large lots. That would really be nice to find a small 'in-town' farm. There may be some 'creative' options for that. Doing an 'equity share' with an older couple who can no longer manage the whole place, and would like some help, in exchange for residence / onsite guest / eldercare home. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area