Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 AM

114 posts, read 92,267 times

Advertisements

I am surpised to hear that eletrical engineers can't find jobs. I'm currently looking to relocate to fort collins and i am a mechanical engineer. It seems like all the openings I find are in electrical engineering. My current employer even has a few openings in electrical engineering in ft collins. I am trying to stay out of the oil and gas industry (even though that's what my background is) so that is limiting my search a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:34 AM

100 posts, read 227,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyalder View Post
......,working towards harmony with nature through sustainable practices, permaculture and technology, love the outdoors and hiking, working hard outside all day on farms and building things out of wood and cob and a general DIY lifestyle.
Hobby Farm. Ft Collins is traditionally farm and ranching country in the 90s people started moving there with similar dreams, so you have a good amount of hobby farms 80acres, barn, lamas, garden. A 6-figure lifestyle that produces a few garden tid-bits in the fall and some candles that are usually given away at x-mas.

Ft Collins seems to have pretty strict codes so you do not see any of the grass roots "off grid" type homesteads, just custom homes with story book barns and the white fence.

Quote:
From what I've read so far about it, Ft Collins seems like a great up and coming city with a decently strong job market compared to the rest of the US.
I am not sure where the stories "decently strong job market" comes from(must be skwed and twisted numbers). Ft Collins does not have that many jobs. A huge percentage of the jobs are low pay and taken up by college students.

Quote:
What is the artist/musician culture like? Is there a decent local music scene, art galleries, art shows, music festivals, etc? Do good national tours stop there?
Mishawaka attaracts some popular bands. that the only music venue I have been to around there. Downtown has a couple of street festivals a year.

Quote:
What are the outdoor activities like? Are there trails/parks/caves/old forests, etc nearby?
The outdoors/public land is controlled by Laminar county it is mostly a system of lakes you pay an entry fee and they have renta cop rangers patrolling the areas. It is ok on a hot day.

To get to the mountains and national forest is a 45min drive or more, even further if you want to somewhat level ground to roam around on.

Quote:
What is the climate like? Is there four full seasons? How much does it snow in the winter? How long is the growing season? Does the weather allow for fruit trees to produce every season?
Not sure about fruit trees but I have not seen many around that area. Snow varies but rather mild, wind can be an issue in some of the area. Sth Wst of Ft Collins seems to be the mildest and most fertile pocket I have seen.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,359 times
I lived in Fort Collins from January to March of this year. I didn't dig it at all, I got out and moved to the mountains of Northern California. Too far away from the mountains for me and it was extremely suburban. it was my own fault though, didn't research enough, moved on a whim. I had fun my 3 months there, found a job in a restaurant, made a few friends. Enjoyed the mountains and the little bit of snow with my dogs. I'll probably stop back through for a few days at some point but definitely nowhere I want to stay for long.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:23 PM

76 posts, read 154,124 times
I have several fruit trees and have lived here all my life. Apples do fairly well and my pear trees as well. Some varieties of plums and cherries produce. Peaches do good IF we don't get a late frost. That is the biggest factor with all the fruit trees, the frost will hit right when they are in bloom- then no fruit As far as 5-6 month growing season, that is a stretch. It is not safe for tender plants until mothers day or later, and the first hard frost is often in Sept. You can do things like wall o waters to start a bit early or cover things but then there are the hail storms that can wipe out your garden in less than 10 minutes. I still plant mine every year though.
The weather here is fickle at best one person mentioned all 4 seasons in one day which is entirely true.
I agree with other posters the job market is a challenge. My son has two BS degrees and works two jobs to make ends meet.
I am guessing anyone moving here to grow weed are having second thoughts there is a lot of regulation and communities aren't welcoming pot shops with open arms.
There are a lot of outdoor activities and no you don't have to drive all that far. Depends on what you like to do. The poudre canyon is nearby along with Horsetooth resevoir. Mountain biking, hiking, snow boarding, skiing, snow shoeing, rock climbing, you will have to get used to mountain driving though.
I think the music scene is good. there are small places or local music, festivals and Denver is down the road with bigger venues as well as Red rocks.
Hope you enjoy your visit

Old 08-22-2014, 12:30 PM

6 posts, read 9,110 times
I don't know what a stoner mentality is, but I personally know some and they tend to be healthier and fitter than some more politically acceptable groups, just saying. When they have to quit weed for whatever reason, usually employment, they go to alcohol to take the edge off life, the next thing you know they are shopping for bigger pants.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:04 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Um...... okay The discussion has gone off on a rather silly tangeant. Moving to FC leads to transitioning between vices and gaining weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area