U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,810 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I've been reading the forums to get info about rentals/relocation to FC but find my situation a little unique. I am a mid-30s professional with a potential job lined up and if I take it, things will move fast. As (bad) luck would have it, I'd be looking to relocate by around August 1, which of course coincides with the student influx. What are the best options for a gal like me? In reality, I'm a landlord's dream in that I'm an older well-paid professional, super clean, non-smoker, no animals and I have excellent credit/references, and money in the bank. I'm looking for a 1 bdrm although I'd settle for a studio for now. I'd really prefer not to spend more than about $1000/month. I absolutely do not want to end up in a complex that caters to students and also prefer a unit with no one living above me if at all possible. I've perused craigslist but have only come across student housing or crappy-looking 80's-style housing. Any ideas for someone in my situation (complexes or locations that do not cater to students, etc.)? Which neighborhoods might be best for an older professional? As an aside, I love the outdoors and am quite active and would love to be in a walkable neighborhood.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 03:47 PM

356 posts, read 513,556 times
My wife and I are in our mid-30's and really enjoy the Old Town still- I would look into housing north or NW (N. College/Maple) of Old Town near the Discovery Museum.

Here are some new flats around the museum that looked really nice: Mason Street Flats | Floor Plans @ 210 | Luxury Apartments in Old Town, Fort Collins Colorado

Old 05-20-2014, 11:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyE37 View Post
Hello Everyone!

.. I am a mid-30s professional with a potential job lined up and if I take it, things will move fast. ,,, What are the best options for a gal like me? In reality, I'm a landlord's dream in that I'm an older well-paid professional, super clean, non-smoker, no animals and I have excellent credit/references, and money in the bank. I'm looking for a 1 bdrm although I'd settle for a studio for now. I'd really prefer not to spend more than about $1000/month. I absolutely do not want to end up in a complex that caters to students and also prefer a unit with no one living above me if at all possible. I've perused craigslist but have only come across student housing or crappy-looking 80's-style housing. Any ideas for someone in my situation (complexes or locations that do not cater to students, etc.)? Which neighborhoods might be best for an older professional? As an aside.., I love the outdoors and am quite active and would love to be in a walkable neighborhood.

Thanks so much for your help!
your wishes are entirely possible, but very unlikely through Craigslist. As a landlord, I prefer to get referrals for tenants and I WON"T advertise and nice places on CL. So you have to network and research. Padmapper seems to be pretty good for finding places.

For single gal, I always recommend getting an apartment in the home of elderly, or a guest house / apartment above garage. You have to dig to find those. I use Senior services, meals-on-wheels, garden and nature clubs, churches, auxiliary clubs and any other sources to find this type of housing. Often you can get a gig with retirees who like to travel and need someone to watch after their place / animals. You end up having a nice place, nearly all to yourself. My SIL did this for 30+ yrs in Hawaii. I always stay with locals when surveying the territory. (Guest home exchange) $10/ night worldwide. Been enjoying that mode of travel / research for 30 yrs. You will get the straight scoop, _ connections in the community by staying with others.

I like the area around Woodward Governor manufacturing plant.

Basically SE Ft Collins. (1000 E Drake Rd, Fort Collins, CO 80525)

Old 05-21-2014, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,810 times
Thank you so much for the input! Based on what I had been reading about low vacancy rates, I was afraid I'd be sleeping in my car starting out Thanks again!

Old 05-24-2014, 06:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,389 posts, read 39,704,721 times
If your job is in South FoCo, consider Loveland or Windsor.

They both are walkable communities.
Loveland has a nice walk around the lake, and a lot of trails on west and south side near Wilson (and Taft) and Big T river/ ~ 15 - 20 minutes to FoCo. 20 minutes to Big T Canyon, 10 minutes to Devils Backbone, 25 min to Masonville (my childhood home / ranch).
I rode my bike back and forth to Ft Collins when living in Loveland and working in Ft Collins.

Another area in FoCo to consider is between Lincoln Center and City Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or