U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:15 PM

126 posts, read 297,160 times

Advertisements

I heard Greeley smells like farm? Is it really bad? What is Greeley like? Is it a small town? We are looking to move to this area. We are looking at any of these towns Greeley, Fort Collins, loveland, longmont, or even others that are in that basic area. We like a smaller town type feel. Maybe an older neighborhood with homes that have character and charm. What towns would you suggest that might be like this. My husband and I are early 30s and we have a 15 month old and two small dogs, if that helps. Thanks for any info you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 06:52 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,619,029 times
The whole greeley reputation is mostly based on a feedlot that used to sit just north of town, you still get the smell occasionally from the beef processing plant but it is not nearly as bad as many like to act since the feedlot moved further out. Fact is certain parts of Fort Collins, Loveland, Johnstown, and Windsor all have the same issues, as with the population growth all of them have feedlots within a few miles of town.

What is your definition of a small town? There are plenty of small towns in the area, but I would not call any of the towns you listed small, the smallest city you listed is Loveland and it has 70,000 people. To me a small town is something with less than 2,500 people, but then I am from a town with 500 people.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:07 PM

Thank you for the reply! That is kind of what I thought about Greeley. From the pictures I have seen and what I have read, it seems like a nice area. We don't need to be in a really small town. I just like the smaller town feel. I'm not a city person, but a suburban area would be ok too.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:49 PM

98 posts, read 192,769 times
Windsor and Johnstown are both cute, smaller towns in this area.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,402 posts, read 39,722,706 times
Berthoud is a good choice.

Loveland is 100x improved over Greeley. Have lived in both cities.
Windsor 30X

Many other choices nearby.

Parts of Greeley are nice, you could be happy there (or miserable)

I would only do it for a very good reason (I don't have that good of a reason to return)

Old 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM

Loveland is one of our top choices. I will have to check out the others. Thank you for the suggestions! We are going to take a trip to check out the area soon, so we'll have to look at them all.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:09 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,619,029 times
Personally I am not a fan of Loveland, we moved to Loveland 2 months ago from Fort Collins and I would rather move back to Fort Collins (and I was really not a fan of Fort Collins) or over to the western side of Greeley.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,402 posts, read 39,722,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Personally I am not a fan of Loveland, we moved to Loveland 2 months ago from Fort Collins and I would rather move back to Fort Collins (and I was really not a fan of Fort Collins) or over to the western side of Greeley.
are you in one of these neighborhoods?
and not stuck in suburbia / endless sprawl?

smaller town type feel. Maybe an older neighborhood with homes that have character and charm.

All the cities mentioned have this type of area, and all have +/-.

I can't deal with stoplights, so Ft Collins is out for me (except for 1AM till 5 AM when the Ft Collins lights flash... Thank goodness). Vintage homes are nice, but will need to endure city / college scene / noise / traffic.

I don't like racial strife - Greeley is out. Trees are nice, neighborhoods with vintage homes are nice. (I like the streets with Sears and Roebuck Homes. Played / attended a lot of chamber music concerts in these homes and area.

Loveland you can have VERY quiet and safe vintage home neighborhood with Mtn view and 5 minutes to parks / trails. People are nice / established in the older neighborhoods. I can still swim daily CHEAP!!!! at High School.

Berthoud would be my top choice if I wanted a SMALL town with some character. (and I didn't mind driving for some services).

East of I-25, tornado and hail country.
Longmont and south can get a 'Denver attitude' (busy / prideful / aloof)

Old 09-25-2014, 01:45 PM

20 posts, read 38,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel9798 View Post
I heard Greeley smells like farm? Is it really bad? What is Greeley like? Is it a small town? We are looking to move to this area. We are looking at any of these towns Greeley, Fort Collins, loveland, longmont, or even others that are in that basic area. We like a smaller town type feel. Maybe an older neighborhood with homes that have character and charm. What towns would you suggest that might be like this. My husband and I are early 30s and we have a 15 month old and two small dogs, if that helps. Thanks for any info you can give!

It smells worse than a pig farm on a hot summer day!! We live in Iowa and drove through Greeley to visit our friends in Loveland, and the stench that came from that town made us all physically sick! We went through on a night that they were destroying the carcasses and it was the worst thing I've EVER encountered!!!

If you're looking to move there, look at Fort Collins or Loveland! Better yet, we really liked the small town feel of Berthoud and Windsor.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-25-2014, 01:53 PM

20 posts, read 38,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
are you in one of these neighborhoods?
and not stuck in suburbia / endless sprawl?

smaller town type feel. Maybe an older neighborhood with homes that have character and charm.

All the cities mentioned have this type of area, and all have +/-.

I can't deal with stoplights, so Ft Collins is out for me (except for 1AM till 5 AM when the Ft Collins lights flash... Thank goodness). Vintage homes are nice, but will need to endure city / college scene / noise / traffic.

I don't like racial strife - Greeley is out. Trees are nice, neighborhoods with vintage homes are nice. (I like the streets with Sears and Roebuck Homes. Played / attended a lot of chamber music concerts in these homes and area.

Loveland you can have VERY quiet and safe vintage home neighborhood with Mtn view and 5 minutes to parks / trails. People are nice / established in the older neighborhoods. I can still swim daily CHEAP!!!! at High School.

Berthoud would be my top choice if I wanted a SMALL town with some character. (and I didn't mind driving for some services).

East of I-25, tornado and hail country.
Longmont and south can get a 'Denver attitude' (busy / prideful / aloof)
Hi StealthRabbit!

I've always enjoyed your posts. I feel the same about Berthoud, it's such a cute town! Have you been to the Loveland Chilson Recreation Center? The pool and hot tub are amazing! My girls and I enjoyed very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area