Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 05:54 AM

307 posts, read 978,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalifornia1976 View Post
We are leaving this god forsaken state and relocating to ANYWHERE within a 45 minute commute to Denver V.A. Hospital. Spouse is transferring there. We have a big family and want to live in a smaller community with good schools. Not as expensive as Boulder though. Any suggestions about where to move to? We are definitely not liberals and dont want to be in an area with that kind of vibe, otherwise we'd stay in California. We also are small business owners and hope to relocate our business. Thanks for your help
I think it will be difficult to not get a "Liberal" vibe in most any community north of Denver and west of I-25. I'm a conservative myself. That said, I would second Berthoud as one poster mentioned. And add that Fort Collins was less liberal-feeling than most communities north of Denver. Loveland too.

Cities east of I-25 are more rural and agriculture influenced and also are more conservative feeling in my opinion. I would recommend Windsor and Brighton.

I will say that I am extremely familiar with California and if you're trying to get away from California, the Front Range of Colorado has similarities with many places in California.

You can PM me for a more details if you desire. Good luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 01:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,661 posts, read 57,789,143 times
Op seems to be absent.

Liberal Small Town north and west of Denver.... Lyons, Nederland, or Estes Park come to mind.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:11 PM

10 posts, read 24,851 times
Small world. I lived in Reedley as
child but we actually live in Fresno currently. We are waffling between Wyoming and Colorado. Both have a lot of pro's.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:45 PM

307 posts, read 978,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalifornia1976 View Post
Small world. I lived in Reedley as
child but we actually live in Fresno currently. We are waffling between Wyoming and Colorado. Both have a lot of pro's.
Move to Clovis! Clovis is nice if you stay around Fresno. That said, I would live in Colorado over California any day. Lived in Fort Collins. There are some wonderful places I know of in Wyoming but unless you pick Cheyenne or Laramie, you will be pretty isolated. Not sure how important that is to you. I've been all over Wyoming and can tell you about most places. I love Wyoming too. If you're coming from CA, Wyoming is a HUGE change. Colorado, not so much.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:15 AM

98 posts, read 237,061 times
What are the pros you see in Wyoming? That may helps with suggestions. I am not a Wyoming fan at all (to live there) and find it to be VERY different from Fort Collins.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,661 posts, read 57,789,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltrazGSD View Post
What are the pros you see in Wyoming? That may helps with suggestions. I am not a Wyoming fan at all (to live there) and find it to be VERY different from Fort Collins.
WY (positives)? (If you don't like it... don't bother with it... for any of the thousands of other readers...)

1) mainly the very caring / helpful people (nice neighbors, generally...) People really care for each other, rather than purpose to AVOID each other.
2) lower population density (very helpful when water is a tight commodity)
3) MUCH better state funding (especially schools)
4) Fiscally responsible
5) Good state revenues / support
6) NO INCOME TAX ! (that makes a Huge difference over a 40 yr career)
7) Low pressure on recreation resources
8) Wide open spaces
9) NICE highways (Especially reflectors / different colors on each side of the road so you don't venture OFF the road in a blizzard)
10) GREAT college (among lowest cost tuition in USA)

Old 05-29-2015, 02:58 PM

9 posts, read 17,055 times
Kalifornia1976, first off, I agree with others, that a 45 minute commute to Denver VA from a lovely, rural place is all but impossible. I have watched the congestion in the highways swell over a little more than three decades, and cities like Ft. Collins and Loveland grow across lovely country to form a new megacity. Berthoud used to be a little stop between Longmont and Loveland. Now it's part of the growing metropolis, and "a highway runs through it." The highways are sure to add additional lanes, too slow to keep up with the congestion, within the next ten years. Golden, hemmed in by mountains, might be considered a bit rural and not too far from the VA. But that isn't all positive either.

I like what StealthRabbit said about Wyoming. We have looked longingly Wyomingwards more than once. Although you say you are conservative, you might want to follow the example of many liberals regarding firearms, namely possessing them, in which case Wyoming seems more lenient towards owning what you want than many counties in Colorado. Weld County Sheriff's Department is liberal on its issuance of C&C permits, for example, while Denver, Adams and Boulder might be a little tighter-handed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area