Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 11:02 AM

10 posts, read 16,397 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are trying to buy our first home in Fort Collins.

We love the Waterglen Neighborhood because it's only about 7-8 minutes from old town, a 20 minute bike ride, and only 6 minutes from my work. The houses seems really nice and are newer (2002 or newer).

We like the fact it has a pool and lots of parks and green spaces for our dogs to play.

The one thing we are not sure about is how close it is to the INTERSTATE. I also don't really like the $100 a month HOA fee but since it pays for basic cable, trash, and all your outdoor sprinkler water I think it will offset with bills we don't pay.

We have looked at three houses out there so far - all varying distances from highway. Some are very loud and as you get farther they get quieter but you can still hear the constant hum from the highway as trucks and cars zoom by. We spend a lot of time outside having bbq's, playing with our dogs, entertaining guests, etc.

Now I see people walking and sitting on their patios all the time - I wonder if maybe after a few weeks it just becomes background noise you hardly notice.

Anyone have any experience with this?

If you have ever lived in the neighborhood or known someone that did -- did they enjoy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 11:25 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
What is the actual mileage from the house to the interstate? I'm not familiar with that neighborhood. Some people are better than others at noise immunity. And it varies by type; some have no problems with say, dogs, while others get irritated quickly. Keep in mind too that sounds will carry differently at different times of the year. It seems like noises in town (such as trains) are heard louder during winter.

Since it is a concern, you probably ought to err on the side of caution. I could see where that might be annoying; constantly being reminded of the road and vehicles in the distance.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:32 AM

The problem is that the housing market sucks. The moment a house goes up it gets over 100 walk throughs and when we make an offer we are competing with about 25-30 other bids. Everyone offers at least $15K over asking price.

So you can't really be too picky when looking at location.

I would say the house is maybe 100 yards from interstate - maybe 150 yards.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:45 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
I agree whole-heartedly about the first statement. That is quite close to the interstate; on the order of yards. I was thinking in terms of miles. You're probably more in an open and willing position that I am at this point. I've already given up on the compromises and consessions to live in this area (no longer worth it to me). Good luck though, and best of wishes!

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 07-31-2015 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-31-2015, 11:50 AM

It's really all about give and takes.

I could live in a super nice updated home (looks like model home or something off tv - with granite, stainless steal, double sided fireplaces, bamboo floors, etc) if I live by interstate.

Or I can move away from interstate and live in a dated, run down, needs lots of repairs, weeds for a yard, etc) home towards center of city. But that one does not have hwy noise.

So you can see the perdiciment I am in.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:22 PM

127 posts, read 234,524 times
I had a HUGE problem with constantly barking dogs, mere feet from my house and bedroom.

That said, I have previously lived about as close as you describe to both train tracks (including about 12 tracks and a rail yard) AND a highway. In one case, I was on the uphill side of a freeway that carried significant tractor-trailer traffic, so the big diesel engines would be roaring. On the other side, the exhaust brakes would be chirping.

That's a 'constant' noise, versus an 'impulse' noise (sudden, and coming against a backdrop of quiet). I'm NOT particularly noise sensitive, and never had a problem with either the trains or the vehicles. You do TEND to tune them out over time.

I don't think it's the same with impulse noise. I've heard that same contrast from lots and lots of people.

But I tend to agree: the fact that you seem concerned about it ... might be enough reason not to take the risk. If it's an HOA-controlled community, there's probably very little you could do to block out the noise, other than costly improvements to the actual home.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:11 PM

531 posts, read 1,146,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thcguy12 View Post
It's really all about give and takes.

I could live in a super nice updated home (looks like model home or something off tv - with granite, stainless steal, double sided fireplaces, bamboo floors, etc) if I live by interstate.

Or I can move away from interstate and live in a dated, run down, needs lots of repairs, weeds for a yard, etc) home towards center of city. But that one does not have hwy noise.

So you can see the perdiciment I am in.
Look at it this way. Highway noise is not something you can fix. It is always going to be there, and may get worse.

Dated, run down, needs repairs, weeds for a yard, these are all things that can be fixed.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:14 PM

If you have money they can be fixed - yes. We don't have that money for fixer upper though.

Thanks for all the feedback though - your right - it's not something that is going anywhere.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:31 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,985 times
I helped a seller sell one of the homes in that subdivision several years ago. Her home backed directly to the freeway behind one of the big dirt berms. The noise was noticeable, but she said she was used to it. When I was showing homes to buyers in the neighborhood yesterday, I noticed the noise more on the east side of the homes than on the west, so it may depend on the direction the outdoor living space faces. It is not a bad idea to head back out to the neighborhood and just walk around for an hour or so and see what you think before making a decision.

The traffic counts on that part of I-25 are lower than south of Mulberry (34000/day vs. 50000/day), but with all of the development in Wellington, those numbers are climbing.

On another note, the bike ride to Old Town from Waterglen is kind of challenging with the traffic on Vine.

Good luck with your search!
Mike Weber

Old 08-14-2015, 02:49 PM

We got an offer accepted on a home in Waterglen. We are in the process right now and close Aug 31. The house was a rental but the owners don't want to rent anymore so they came in and updated everything (stainless steel appliances, new paint, new water heater, new bamboo floors, new granite counter tops, composite granite sink, new fixtures, new carpet, new nest thermostat, etc). So basically we will be the first ones to live in this home with all this brand new stuff - really stoked. 3 bed / 3 bath with AC, sprinklers, 1500 sq feet, etc - very nice.

The house is a couple more blocks from the freeway and the noise is hardly noticeable outside and not at all inside. We have been going over to play in the parks, look at stars, walk the trails, do walk throughs, inspections, etc -- every time the noise gets less and less for us. I think it seems loudest at night when there are no other sounds but crickets.

We are excited - we love that neighborhood, the pool, the greenbelts, the park, the stream, the location near downtown (two miles). It's gonna be great.

PS Talked to several people who live out there - they all LOVE it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area