Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Information on bicycling club in Loveland Texas, former A group rider looking for moderate B rides for self and daughter

Old 01-27-2008, 10:02 AM

22 posts, read 61,912 times

Advertisements

I realize there is a Fort Collins cycling club but I am looking at Loveland first to relocate. Any rides in that area.

First I was a road bike junkie for many years riding for the CRC racing club in NYC and The NYC Cycle club (those were the days) and then 10 years ago family put an end to my A+ rides and USCF racing. I have the road rash scars of every road racer to show (OK I don't have my broken collar bone X-Rays). But I still love riding just time has not been kind even though I manage to get in some miles each week. But I want to redeem myself in my new location.

I know I don't want to be in the A group again , B rides may be a stretch right now since my overall mileage has dropped to almost zero this winter and looking at my trainer has been my only exercise except for a few rides in the cold on my mountain bike over the rock salted streets. I also hear it takes about a year to acclimate to the elevation coming from the north east.

When you look at catalogs and salivate over triple cranksets you know its time to wind it down a few notches. But I still like speed but I realize mileage is my salvation not speed. I already have one bike with a compact crank and 12-25 but it does not seem small enough LOL

I would also like to get my 11 year old daughter on some short rides with others of her age so she can see what riding is really about. Maybe she will get the bug and pull her old fart Dad up some hills.

Any help would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 11:24 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
In my experience, there's a wide variety and many riding groups in your area, with different levels of riding skill and interest. It's a great place to ride ... flats, hills, back country .....

IMO, the best way to "hook up" with the locals who share your riding interest and style will be to contact the local bike shops and ask around or check their bulletin boards. Go for a couple of rides and you'll know very quickly if the group suits your needs and expectations.

I was never able to ride to the level you've been at, but when I was in that Front Range area, I had no difficulty finding 25-50 mile daylong rides that were not competitive, but a good pace for a serious recreational rider on a custom built frame road bike(OLMO). I avoided the hard core race prepping riders ... I was just too paranoid about wanting that much pain and injury in my life ... broken bones wasn't on my agenda and would have made earning a living impossible.

If you've been in good health, training, and physical condition, you should be acclimated to the altitude within a couple of weeks. Have fun!

Old 01-27-2008, 03:13 PM

I passed my racing years a long while back and my broken bone was in a race not on a club ride or training ride. But I like organized rides with a group of experienced riders in a pace line, I thought the FC cycle group had rides going out of Loveland or maybe a group formed in Loveland itself. I'll try Goggle again and see if there is an organization established. Bike stores are always a fall back for me but does not guarantee experienced group riders.

I did one club ride where I am now in NJ which is not all that flat. Someone crashed out right in front of me within the first 1/2 hr. I went down too as did a few others. But I was the only one prepared with any medical supplies so I also had to give first aid and the guy who fell went home wearing half my med kit. Also that B ride I fell in was really an A ride. I finished out the 60 mile route just fine but it was not the ride I expected or wanted.
Maybe I just need some reassurance people I ride with have had some experience in a group setting. But the two weeks getting used to the altitude part sounds much more reasonable. Besides I think I am going to need a month on the road before I can do much of anything right now. Still holding onto that triple idea for one bike.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:25 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,382 times
Your physical ability will be different at the higher elevations where the air is thinner. There are many bike races in this area throughout the year in both Fort Collins and Loveland areas. You might want to check the city websites for both of them for more info on bike groups.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:20 AM

I do not want to race. Had enough of that.

Found P.E.D.A.L in loveland but I am not sure what they are looking at their web site. I sent them an email but it usually takes a few days for someone to respond.

The bottom line is there is probably more than I could have hoped for. I also just passed 50 so I want to just keep fit and not train. But I dont want to ride with a bunch of people who cannot work in a pace line. I will be happy keeping it at a nice easy 20 on the flats.

Since my physical shape is poor now I think its only up from here so taking it slow at first would be my plan even I was in shape. I certianly would not head west on my first ride LOL. Just looking in that direction is scary.

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:11 PM

423 posts, read 1,959,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodenspoke View Post
I do not want to race. Had enough of that.

Found P.E.D.A.L in loveland but I am not sure what they are looking at their web site. I sent them an email but it usually takes a few days for someone to respond.

The bottom line is there is probably more than I could have hoped for. I also just passed 50 so I want to just keep fit and not train. But I dont want to ride with a bunch of people who cannot work in a pace line. I will be happy keeping it at a nice easy 20 on the flats.

Since my physical shape is poor now I think its only up from here so taking it slow at first would be my plan even I was in shape. I certianly would not head west on my first ride LOL. Just looking in that direction is scary.

Thanks for the info.
I here you on the just passing 50 thing!!!! We welcome riders like you that can keep a pace line. There will be plenty of areas for you to ride. In fact Lance Armstrong was seen in the area last year riding his bike. Must be good riding if he was here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area