U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 12:59 PM

74 posts, read 105,855 times

Advertisements

Anyone out there who makes this commute for work, Fort Collins to the DTC? I live in Centennial but do alot of boating up on Carter lake in Loveland so I'd like to move north however my job is in the DTC. I could work from home 2 days a week but that leaves me with 3 days a week battling I-25. I hear there is new bus service from FOCO and Loveland called Bustang to union station. Would really like to move north but that commute on I-25 scares me as I know I-25 is very bad. I assume this would be a hellish commute but wonder if the bus would be at least doable? then take light rail to DTC..

any thoughts? or comments from those who make this trek?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 02:07 PM

6,526 posts, read 10,194,145 times
My boss at my previous company made the trip from the west side of Loveland to Inverness once a week and hated it with a passion. He'd leave his house between 5 and 5:30am to get to work before the traffic hit - typically between 7 and 7:30.

Bustang won't help you much because it'll drop you off at Union Station. Then you've gotta spend another 20-30 minutes on a light rail train to get from downtown to the DTC. On top of that if there's a wreck on I-25 you'll still be in the backup - on the bus with god knows who else.

I personally wouldn't do that commute because I value my sanity too much.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:57 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,619,029 times
I work in a business that requires me to go to occasional meetings in the tech center, and I will usually only agree if I can set the meeting times as that can easily turn into a nightmare. During rush hour that is a minimum of a 2 hour drive, bad weather expect 3 hours as a minimum, and it has taken me over 4 hours when there was a couple of wrecks along I-25 even when the weather was nice out.

I have heard about the new bustang service but have yet to meet anybody that has actually used it, but in my experience with public transportation the time it takes to get somewhere usually is longer in a bus.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:53 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,191,290 times
Carter Lake boating season is what? maybe 6 months in a good year of moisture where the lake level doesn't drop too early in the irrigation season?

Moving North of Denver to live presents a year-around commute, even if only a three days per week.

I gave up on the Hwy 52 @ I-25 residential commute to a much closer in Denver location business when the traffic rush hour times and density reached crazy proportions back in 1998. It was a daunting drive then, especially complicated by inclement weather and traffic accidents. Extend you trip requirements in today's traffic to the DTC and you'll be spending a lot of time and commute expenses to get to work.

IMO, you're far better served by continuing to live reasonably close to your DTC job and use your discretionary time to reach Carter Lake.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:55 PM

74 posts, read 105,855 times
Sunsprit, yea I think you are right. I can't stand I-25 and the traffic seems to get worse weekly. 50% of the time I travel on the highway there is at least one accident if not multiple accidents. I'll either make it work in the DTC area or I may relocate to another less busy state alltogether.. thanks

Old 10-12-2015, 08:06 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,579,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
- on the bus with god knows who else.
You mean like other professionals trying to save some money and help the environment, or do you mean people like you?

Old 10-12-2015, 08:34 AM

1,822 posts, read 1,390,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhden2000 View Post
... I can't stand I-25 and the traffic seems to get worse weekly. 50% of the time I travel on the highway there is at least one accident if not multiple accidents.
It's definitely a big problem. If they would just widen I-25, everyone would be better off. The flow would be quicker, and people wouldn't be so close to one another. Two lanes (north of Longmont) is pathetic and ridiculous. Compared to other states I've lived in, there seems to be major dysfunction and ineptitude as to getting major thoroughfares widened, and we don't need to hear lame excuses like TABOR. Other states just roll up their sleeves and make it happen. Everyone should be highlighting this and putting the heat on those responsible. Most of this comes down to people trying to live their lives and earn an income (which feeds the state with tax money after all), so they should be paying attention.

I'm fortunate to be able to bypass the interstate most of the time (only drive short distances on the frontage roads), but I feel sorry for my co-travellers just a few feet away. There almost seems to be a resignation that it will never improve, and that they have to accept and submit.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 10-12-2015 at 09:00 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 08:00 PM

3,049 posts, read 2,077,790 times
Why not try boating at Barr Lake or Empire Reservoir?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area