Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 06:46 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,734,709 times

Advertisements

I and others have mentioned that bullying is a severe problem in Fort Collins schools, now it has led to tragedy.
Two 11-year-olds commit suicide in Fort Collins; one family blames bullying | FOX31 Denver

Fort Collins mourns deaths of two PSD students

IT is a severe problem in Fort Collins, and the school district is very good about blaming the victims and covering things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 07:18 AM

127 posts, read 233,779 times
Well ... that just brought a few tears to my eyes.

My story* is -- at its core -- a story of bullying.

LOTS of people know that all 'vulnerable populations' are susceptible to this sort of behavior. In my case, it's the medically disabled. These two ... were (?) 'different' kids. It happens to the elderly. It happens to gay people. It happens to people of color. It happens to developmentally disabled kids.

It happens .... in all kinds of situations.

What hurts me the most, maybe, about this particular story is that I DO understand how it got so bad.

They may have either felt helpless and hopeless, and been unwilling to reach out for help, or -- like in my case -- they may have shouted "HELP !!!!" from the rooftops, and to the heavens, and been ignored.

Totally, profoundly, and utterly ignored.

Either way ... the epitome of a preventable tragedy.

----
* The View From the Gulag: The Destruction of a Medically Disabled Man in Colorado

Old 11-24-2015, 01:50 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,992,384 times
Thanks jwiley for posting this. Several years ago, I "checked out" of keeping up with the news (watching TV, listening to talk radio, and reading most "news"print). So it's good to be made aware of these significant and notable events.

That is truly sad. And it is very tellling that a police spokesperson apparently said "Colorado does not have direct anti-bullying legislation on the books that could yield charges". I used to live in a state that was much more pro-active with regards to bullying, and CO really seems to be lagging.

By the way, jwiley it looks like you've moved (from Loveland). Congrats, and best wishes with your updated region.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:19 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,734,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Thanks jwiley for posting this. Several years ago, I "checked out" of keeping up with the news (watching TV, listening to talk radio, and reading most "news"print). So it's good to be made aware of these significant and notable events.

That is truly sad. And it is very tellling that a police spokesperson apparently said "Colorado does not have direct anti-bullying legislation on the books that could yield charges". I used to live in a state that was much more pro-active with regards to bullying, and CO really seems to be lagging.

By the way, jwiley it looks like you've moved (from Loveland). Congrats, and best wishes with your updated region.
I did move to Grand Junction last week, and partially due to the schools in fort collins, I am hoping for the best but after the nightmare of dealing with the crap in Fort Collins I am not real positive

Old 11-26-2015, 04:09 PM

Sorry to hear about the "crap" in Fort Collins. I have my own reasons for also moving on and moving away (hopefully in 2016).

Old 11-28-2015, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 8,437 times
Good luck, I've lived in 9 different cities and 5 sates in the US. You can find reasons to stay or leave each one.

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the "crap" in Fort Collins. I have my own reasons for also moving on and moving away (hopefully in 2016).

Old 11-28-2015, 07:04 PM

Well, I've made a list, and their are at least 10 reasons to move away from Fort Collins and back to a better location. Coincidentally, there are 10 reasons to also no stay put. There is nothing in the "should stay" column, so it's an incredibly easy decision.

I definitely don't need luck; have plans and arrangements nicely under control. Out of just two (2) locations, one's a solid winner. Having to try 9 cities in 5 "sates" though... I'll send luck your way instead. By the way, any Steppenwolf reunions on the horizon?

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 11-28-2015 at 07:13 PM..

Old 03-11-2016, 11:47 AM

4 posts, read 8,437 times
Bye Bye!

And I won't wish you luck, since you have this all buttoned up!

Ignore user button active!

Quote:
Well, I've made a list, and their are at least 10 reasons to move away from Fort Collins and back to a better location. Coincidentally, there are 10 reasons to also no stay put. There is nothing in the "should stay" column, so it's an incredibly easy decision.

I definitely don't need luck; have plans and arrangements nicely under control. Out of just two (2) locations, one's a solid winner. Having to try 9 cities in 5 "sates" though... I'll send luck your way instead. By the way, any Steppenwolf reunions on the horizon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area