U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,074 times

Advertisements

Hi there:

My husband and I are looking into relocating from Illinois to the Fort Collins, Windsor, Loveland area. My we are self-employed, and my husband works remotely, so that isn't an issue. I am most concerned about getting my kids into good schools. The ratings online seem a little outdated. By the time we move, my kids will be going into 9th and 7th grade. The 9th grader has mild Aspergers, but has always functioned well in the public school system we have here, which is excellent. Both of them are very musical and are in band, so a good music program is a must.

Thoughts appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 02:33 PM

43 posts, read 33,269 times
Fort Collins consistently listed amongst the best towns in America. As you've read additionally the Public school system is top notch as well. While I can't speak to type of schooling for children in the spectrum, I can speak to that there are TONS of after school, outdoor non profits that cater to children/Adults/families with both physical and cognitive disabilities, unlike anywhere else I've ever lived.

Biggest task will likely be housing, it's a sought after commodity in the front range, and Colorado all together these days seeing the 2nd largest increase in rental housing rates in the past year second only to San Fran, so don't expect to get what you pay for, more like your paying for what's not inside the walls of your home, which folks here put a premium on.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,322 posts, read 39,595,005 times
Personally, I much prefer Loveland (older and rural areas) to FC. Schools are pretty equal, but more personal / community support in smaller town. FC will avail more 'professional' music exposure, and certainly worth it if your kids aspire to future music careers.

Since you have special needs, please look in detail to your specific needs. My biggest complaint about FC quality of life is BAD traffic / routing and aggressive drivers in big SUVs (soccer moms in a hurry to get to Starbucks). Get a FC home that is walking and biking distance to 90% of your trips and you may be happy and safe. There are some very pretty, quiet, residential areas in each town, but by far the majority of housing is suburban SPRAWL. Tract homes everywhere, just avoid that, and college transient rental areas. If you can live rural, consider high ground in Rist Canyon. Recent Floods have presented some available opportunities in housing, in a normally very tight market,... Build on a solid rock on high ground and out of the hydraulic curve effect of a raging river (which is usually a small creek). It is really quite ez access to CSU, without the hassle of FC's overcrowded and stoplight infested main drags. (Beware that a major rail line bisects FC north to south), and no bridges for street traffic!

Consider getting your kids into local colleges early, (ours went FT to college in grade 10 and beyond). That eases the social burden of public high school daily relationship 'drama'.. It is enough hassle to move, without the clique thing. Early college was good for our kids, they were done by age 20, and off on their own paths. Btw: There are lots of IL folks happily well adjusted in FC. Maybe they have an annual picnic.... If not, PM me and I will fix you up with some local 'immediate' IL friends. (FC school teachers for last 30 yrs).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-28-2016 at 02:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or