U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 01:22 PM

4 posts, read 3,492 times

Advertisements

I have witnessed first hand how private aircraft elect to 'buzz' my area..
they are leaving from an airport near Timnath, not reaching 1000 feet as required by law
and the noise level from their climb is very loud!
It has become obvious that their choice of flight path is along the foothills and
the most direct path is over my neighborhood!

Please be aware if you are moving here, or live and fly in this area that those of us
who live on the ground are NOT amused at the increase of noise level from small
private planes! The sound of airplanes overhead does not increase my enjoyment of living in Colorado!

And I grew up in a pilot's family and we flew often!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 02:42 PM

4,879 posts, read 9,627,732 times
Lots of varying opinions about houses close to airports. In some areas, the airport was there first and the city/county allowed houses to be built too close. In some areas it's the opposite.

I used to live close to Centennial Airport, and I know that airport has restrictions on where they can do their take-offs and landings. That particular airport has a complaint line for residents who feel that the restrictions aren't being followed. Maybe the airport near Timnath has something similar?

Old 04-22-2016, 02:56 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,392,276 times
I'm familiar with the Loveland - Fort Collins airport, but not airports/airfields around Timnath. I tried looking at aerial pictures around Timnath, but didn't see anything (the imagery could be old, or it was unclear where to zoom in). It would be interesting to find the source location.

That's definitely not a good thing; being bothered by low-flying aircraft. I wonder what they are doing out there. There seems to be a rogue effect, as one goes east from the fringes of Larimer County into Weld County (fracking, stray shootings from firearms, and maybe now this). Plus, it's not to far from the mysterious vehicle incidents on I-25 (windows broken or shot out).

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 04-22-2016 at 03:04 PM..

Old 04-23-2016, 02:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,408 posts, read 39,758,015 times
There are legitimate private air fields near Timnath, the 3 i know of have very experienced older pilots who would not be endangering or purposely obnoxious. As mentioned... They have been there long before the housing boom. It is sad, but not uncommon to displace airfields for housing sprawl. It is price of admission, but tough to find another home / hanger / airstrip.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:29 AM

11,256 posts, read 43,233,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoCUC View Post
I have witnessed first hand how private aircraft elect to 'buzz' my area..

Few pilots today risk their expensive access to private aviation by "buzzing" anybody.

More likely that the pilots are on climb-out and your site is under a reasonable path of flight from their departure airstrip.

they are leaving from an airport near Timnath, not reaching 1000 feet as required by law

that would be an "airstrip", not an "airport". The pilots can legally fly lower than 1,000' above the ground as long as they are in climb or maintain the legal separation from man-made structures; ie, not directly over your house.

and the noise level from their climb is very loud!

[COLOR="blue" While some small GA aircraft are louder than others, the perception of "noise" level by the listener can vary greatly. [/color]

It has become obvious that their choice of flight path is along the foothills and
the most direct path is over my neighborhood!

And with the advent of nicer flying weather after the winter months, there will be more aviation activity.

Please be aware if you are moving here, or live and fly in this area that those of us
who live on the ground are NOT amused at the increase of noise level from small
private planes!

Absent using a DB meter and documenting that the aircraft are being flown too low over your house, you've just got an empty complaint.

I've sat for years on several airport noise abatement groups and gone out to verify noise complaints even from folk living directly under the departure end of a GA airport here in Colorado ... and very few complaints were in excess of the noise standards from the airport or of pilots seeking to "buzz" your residence. For the most part, the complaints were from folk who were sensitized to the sound of aircraft and if they could hear them at all, it was "too loud".

I've sat at some of those residences and DB measured and recorded street traffic noise far louder and more continuously than the intermittent aircraft noise. But the aircraft noise was objectionable to the complainer and they ignored the traffic noise. Selective hearing at it's finest.

The sound of airplanes overhead does not increase my enjoyment of living in Colorado!

OTOH, for some of us ... it's a wonderful sound. Love to hear those GA aircraft out flying.

And I lived under an "aerobatic box" near 2V2 for 5 years and got to listen to multiple aircraft on many days play there. What a beautiful sight to have our own private airshow as a backdrop and watch some very talented pilots fly there. Plus we got to watch many days of balloons flying in the area; some so low we could have a conversation with the pilots as they crossed over our house. The roar of the propane burners wasn't quiet ... but it was part of the fun for them and us.

And I grew up in a pilot's family and we flew often!
But apparently you're not a pilot so perhaps aren't really familiar with the rules that pilots fly by for ground clearance or noise abatement procedures which may/may not apply to departures from small airstrips.

I've known numerous folk to purchase homes directly under the departure threshold of an airstrip and then wonder why the planes were flying overhead. Perhaps you've done the same thing ... bought your place without doing your due diligence before making the purchase. An oft-told tale where folk discover that there's a local situation that interferes with their "quiet enjoyment" of their property but only after the fact is when they'll complain about it.

My bet is that the airstrip and associated activity existed long before your residence. At that, the few private airstrips in the area don't have that many flights departing each day.

My Erie residence was adjacent to such a small airstrip with approx 20 based aircraft at the residential airstrip there. It was uncommon to see or hear more than a couple flights per day there; on many days there were no departures. Even on a busy weekend when somebody was hosting a BBQ ... perhaps 5 more aircraft would fly in. That's hardly the stuff of an overwhelming noise signature from GA activity and I lived under their flight path where the aircraft were rarely more than a couple hundred feet into the air on departure. The duration of their noise signature on take-off was but a few seconds ... most of the aircraft were 160HP or less, most of them much less with 100-125HP which simply can't make that much noise even at WOT on departure.

I've camped at back country airstrips where I was under the departure end of a one-way strip, and even there the noise levels on take off for all but possibly one or two aircraft in a week-end fly-in simply wasn't objectionable or "too loud". I was literally less than a couple hundred feet from the aircraft. That's a far greater aviation operations density than the private airstrip you live nearby ... again, my bet is that there's not but a couple of operations per day from your local airstrip, at the most.

As pointed out above, there are noise abatement procedures in effect for GA "airports" and dedicated phone lines to register complaints. I've seen some of those lines get 500 complaints in a month and not been surprised to see that 490 of those complaints were called in by the same person. They called in every time a plane took off in their direction when the wind favored that runway for operations. As part of the noise abatement group for the airport, I went to that complainer's house and registered louder noise levels on a Saturday morning from multiple lawn mowers, leaf blowers, hedge trimmers, and chain saws ... all of longer duration than the few seconds of an aircraft departure.

Last edited by sunsprit; 04-23-2016 at 10:45 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 11:30 AM

One man's ceiling is another man's floor!

I have lived here since 1973! I KNOW all about the airstrips locally...sky diving, air shows..MY FATHER SET UP OTTUMWA! and we went to Oshgosh for YEARS!

I LIVED right next door to Fort Collins/Loveland airport for 5 years! Saw the 'Blue Angels' do their airshow from MY ROOF!
Talk about 'buzzing'...we were told there was a hazard ...a small chance that one of them would crash into our subdivision, but of course the airport got priority over the safety of a small subdivision!
and I never had ANY expectations that the airport was supposed to accommodate the subdivision! I knew which was there first! It was low rent, and that's what I needed at the time!

What is GA?

yes, you are correct, I do not personally 'fly'...I actually came to Fort Collins because there was a GLIDER STRIP north of town! but being in college here, without a car, I couldn't get there to become part of it.

Does my interest in gliders tell you anything? I am not a fan of noise!

I am well aware of the sound of small planes. My father took me along to 'the airport'...in suburban Illinois..I visited many small airports as a child..sat there listening to pilots talk flying, the 'tower' talking to the flying pilots, and all the noise of take offs!

This twin engine Beech was too LOW! period! he wasn't flying safe for the area! I could have read his N number if I thought of it! I was so flabbergasted that he was even doing this! I have watched several aircraft from my backyard - got treated recently to an impromptu airshow with five single engines putting on a formation flight with smoke and a loop! ..some are just fine..I can hear them, but can barely see them.. in this case I could have READ THE N NUMBER!

And YES, the air traffic pattern has changed SINCE we bought this house...lived in this upscale neighborhood for 20+ years and I have WATCHED the amount of air traffic increase over time! From helicopters from Cheyenne Air Force Base to small planes practicing their turns using the main road near my house..the number of aircraft has increased enormously.

And I come from a 'flying' family...my dad flew jets for a major airline for 30 years and he owned several small single engine antique aircraft, and I helped him 'rib stitch' the cloth to the wings, among other things...I think I know what I am talking about!

One man's ceiling is another man's floor! I stayed in Colorado because it was QUIETER than Chicago! and I LOVED IT!
now, its becoming just like the place I left, and it is SAD!

you can talk all day about how wonderful it is to hear aircraft, and decibel levels, etc etc...it doesn't change that Colorado WAS about mountains, clear skies, clean air, and QUIET...you could HEAR THE BIRDS! and people like you think its BETTER this way? I beg to differ!

As a child, we lived away from the airport FOR A REASON! we NEVER expected them to be quiet! I did NOT build a house next to an airstrip and then complain because of the noise! One man's ceiling is another man's floor!

Old 05-08-2016, 12:29 PM

4,879 posts, read 9,627,732 times
WacoCUC, a possible answer to your question has been posted at least twice. Heed what Sunsprit said "As pointed out above, there are noise abatement procedures in effect for GA "airports" and dedicated phone lines to register complaints."

GA is General Aviation.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:19 AM

Just a quick post...many thanks for the GREAT video of a Waco fly-in!
thank you for the memories and all the great Wacos!
as far as I can tell, my dad's was not among them. None of the paint jobs were like his...he struggled for months deciding how to paint that plane! looked at historical documents etc. I recall we went to the Smithsonian so he could check out THEIR records!
..saw it recently online for sale from someone in the southern US.
Thanks again for the great video!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or