Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 11:41 AM

202 posts, read 352,673 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

We may be moving to front range within the next year. We are supposed to go visit this summer to scope out places unless we can’t due to COVID.

We are very interested in FoCo/Loveland and would love any helpful info!

-it’s myself, my husband (in our mid 20s) and we have a 6 month old daughter.

-we won’t be selling our house now (live in Texas but we’re from rural Montana). So we won’t
Be buying for a few years. Our budget initially will he likely around 1500-2000 a month. We are okay renting an apartment at first if we need to. Is this budget too low?
-Husband makes about 80k a year (if that matters in determining if affordability). I’m not working now as I stay home with my daughter but I’m a pharmacy tech and can get a license in Colorado If I need to go back to work.
-we’re pretty center politically, I know some areas like boulder lean super left. Not sure how FoCo/Loveland leans.

-we like hiking, good walking trails, walkable downtown with farmers markets. my husband is a fly fisherman, though I know we will have to drive a bit west.

-we don’t care about nightlife at all, except we do like to walk downtown and maybe hit up some breweries.

-how are the schools? I know we have years to go but I’d like to settle somewhere with good schools.

-if anyone has any insight about the vibe of these areas please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 07:40 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiev111 View Post
Hey all,

We may be moving to front range within the next year. We are supposed to go visit this summer to scope out places unless we can’t due to COVID.

We are very interested in FoCo/Loveland and would love any helpful info!

-it’s myself, my husband (in our mid 20s) and we have a 6 month old daughter.

-we won’t be selling our house now (live in Texas but we’re from rural Montana). So we won’t
Be buying for a few years. Our budget initially will he likely around 1500-2000 a month. We are okay renting an apartment at first if we need to. Is this budget too low?
-Husband makes about 80k a year (if that matters in determining if affordability). I’m not working now as I stay home with my daughter but I’m a pharmacy tech and can get a license in Colorado If I need to go back to work.

You should be able to rent a house or apt for $3k. When you get ready to buy, real estate can be on the higher end.

You should be fine on $80k if you don't live completely extravagantly.

-we’re pretty center politically, I know some areas like boulder lean super left. Not sure how FoCo/Loveland leans.

You will be fine in Loveland, as most people don't talk about politics and it is divided about 1/3 Dem, 1/3 Rep and 1/3 Ind.

-we like hiking, good walking trails, walkable downtown with farmers markets. my husband is a fly fisherman, though I know we will have to drive a bit west.

Lots of hiking in the area in Loveland, Ft Collins, Boulder, the mountains, etc. Fly fishing up the Big Thompson, Poudre, etc. Several farmers markets around.

-we don’t care about nightlife at all, except we do like to walk downtown and maybe hit up some breweries.

Good breweries in the area. Not a lot of nightlife in the Loveland area, but some in Ft Collins, but sounds like that is fine by you.

-how are the schools? I know we have years to go but I’d like to settle somewhere with good schools.

Not sure about schools.

-if anyone has any insight about the vibe of these areas please let me know!

Both Loveland and Ft Collins are growing rapidly with lots of new sprawl and all the negative issues associated with it such as lack of proper planning, traffic, hideous tract housing and such. I would look at old town Loveland or Ft Collins for the long term.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Thank you so much!

Old 05-07-2020, 10:25 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiev111 View Post
-we live in Texas but we’re from rural Montana
The two above notes are the ones I'd keep in mind. People in CO are very against Texas and Texans. Even if they don't openly voice it / share it, it's still there and runs deep, and the resentment will eventually show through. Though there are some Montana types in the rural areas, you'll mostly find different types in the city areas. So keep cultural / regional differences in mind.

Cost of living is probably much more than you are considering. Going by 80k per household is definitely erring on the low side. You need to take a good look at cost comparison for various bills from where you live now vs. northern Colorado.

The area has more workers than jobs, and you'll be competing with many. Lots of employers prefer people from CO, and they will get the edge and priority.

https://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog...-colorado.html

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-07-2020 at 10:50 AM..

Old 05-07-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The two above notes are the ones I'd keep in mind. People in CO are very against Texas and Texans. Even if they don't openly voice it / share it, it's still there and runs deep, and the resentment will eventually show through. Though there are some Montana types in the rural areas, you'll mostly find different types in the city areas. So keep cultural / regional differences in mind.

Cost of living is probably much more than you are considering. Going by 80k per household is definitely erring on the low side. You need to take a good look at cost comparison for various bills from where you live now vs. northern Colorado.

The area has more workers than jobs, and you'll be competing with many. Lots of employers prefer people from CO, and they will get the edge and priority.

https://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog...-colorado.html
Thank you for the insight! I definitely plan on telling people I’m from Montana LOL. We’ve only lived in Texas for a couple years so I don’t consider myself a Texan. Luckily my husband has a job he’s just transferring with this company and he will be getting a pay raise so he will be making more than 80 K a year. I was also offered a job working from home so that will help as well. Nonetheless, cost-of-living definitely will increase for us so we have to take that into account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area