U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:43 AM

38 posts, read 24,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenlamb45 View Post
Hi all,

I'm currently a second semester junior at a public university in Illinois. I will graduate in the Spring of 2018 with an Adult & Community Education degree with a Spanish minor and Latin American Studies minor (it was only two more classes). I know mentioning my student loan burden is important to include in terms of budgeting, ect. That said, I will have approximately $35,000 is student loans once I graduate.

That said, my degree is very human service-oriented. Anticipated job placement ranges from non-profits (not on the top of my list), workforce development, student success centers at college/universities, and community efforts for non-English speaking individuals (hence, my chosen minors). My take-home income will probably be around the same as my student loans, which isn't not great. However, that's also based off central Illinois economy and cost of living.

I written several thread about the potential move to Denver and found that it's entirely too expensive for particular situation. That being said, I was hoping that you, the good people of city-data, could fill me in on the Fort Collins area as well as places right in between the two cities.

Anyways, here it is!

1. As a future renter and human service worker, is the monthly rent more tolerable in Fort Collins? I mentioned my anticipated income. If I wanted to get a second job in the Fort Collins area, could I live relatively comfortably?

2. Is Fort Collins' human services sector well-funded/supported? I know in Illinois, human services are constantly facing budget cuts.

3. Is Fort Collins easily adaptable? I come from a very small farming town of 4,400 people. After getting my feet wet, some experience and know-how, is Fort Collins a pretty easy place to commute in? Driving, public transportation, morning/evening traffic, ect.

4. If there is decent public transportation (bus, train, subway, ect), do they extend out to the burbs?

5. This really is not as important to others as it is to me, but what's the music scene like? I'm an avid concert goer and I know that Denver is the one-stop city before bands typically head to Cali. However, Fort Collins has a very large university in it that is bound to attract smaller acts. Does Fort Collins get live music, or is it flyover country because of Denver?

6. What is Fort Collins' local business, restaurant, and retail store "vibe" like? Decent amount of options?

7. I mentioned this above, but what are some cities (of any size) that are located in the middle of these two cities that sort of have what I'm looking for? I'm not opposed to living in Fort Collins at all, but, admittedly, I do want to reap the benefits of Denver.

I can't really think of anything else at the moment. If you have any more information, suggestions, hints, tips, or fun facts, please let me know! I genuinely appreciate your help! Thank you so much!
My post doesn't have to do with moving but, please work on getting rid of the phrase "That said, that being said", or any derivative of it. Look at your sentences. They stand alone without the phrase that most people find annoying. There is no need for it and it can become quite a bad habit in speaking as well.

Clear Writing with Mr. Clarity: The maniacal use of "having said that"

Good luck on your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,103,282 times
" I would like all schoolteachers to make war on the zombies, to make war on the flesh-eaters, to make war on the predatory clauses that introduce so many paragraphs. With good writers as well as schoolkids." --------Sir Harold Evans

Old 06-16-2017, 11:07 AM

3,054 posts, read 2,081,073 times
Technical writing vs creative writing vs filler writing.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:04 AM

3,467 posts, read 4,352,475 times
Not a Coloradan, but I have been curious about For Collins (though I'm probably staying put in Albuquerque). On the music question, this seems helpful:

Music News Archives - Scene Magazine

Old 06-23-2017, 11:27 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,110,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
On the music question, this seems helpful:

Music News Archives - Scene Magazine
As a huge music fan and musician, I've been incredibly disappointed in the the Fort Collins 'music scene'. Sure, there's plenty of mountain music (acoustic, folk, hillbilly, bluegrass, some country), but that's basically it, and what's promoted and celebrated here.

There's not much of anything else. Certainly not rock in all of its colors. No jazz, world, eclectic pop, ska, blues, punk, power-pop, or metal of note.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:19 PM

3,467 posts, read 4,352,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
As a huge music fan and musician, I've been incredibly disappointed in the the Fort Collins 'music scene'. Sure, there's plenty of mountain music (acoustic, folk, hillbilly, bluegrass, some country), but that's basically it, and what's promoted and celebrated here.

There's not much of anything else. Certainly not rock in all of its colors. No jazz, world, eclectic pop, ska, blues, punk, power-pop, or metal of note.
That does sound pretty bleak.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:27 AM

3,054 posts, read 2,081,073 times
Wow, that makes Colo Spgs seem pretty happening by comparison. Blues under the Bridge, Summer Symphony Concert series in local parks, Black Sheep and Gold Room bringing in national touring acts, a dozen local cover bands that are introducing originals in their sets, Meadowgrass Festival, and several neighborhood/community concert series throughout the town doesn't leave us with much shortage of live music.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:32 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,110,910 times
Yeah, COS has more going for it musically. Being a much larger city (than FC) also helps on various levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or