U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 1,755 times

Advertisements

I find this site very informative and helpful for us as we look to relocate to the area. We are now looking at homes East of 25. In particular, west of Windsor and east of Fort Collins. A quick look at Google maps shows some oil/gas wells close to homes in the River West, Highpointe Estates, subs and others in the vicinity.

I'm wondering if this is a concern for residents of these subs? More wells coming? noise, odor, traffic issues? Impact on home prices? Likelihood of more drilling in the future?

All opinions and voices are welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 07:16 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,620,009 times
I do not live in those subdivisions, but you are likely to find oil wells near any subdivision that has been built in the last 15 years or so. They do not bother me but I grew up in the heart of the Colorado oil fields, and know what they mean for the state. You will usually not notice much noise, odor, or traffic issues on already established wells, at most they will get 1 truck a day and a pickup or two a day that visit the wells. Yes it is likely that there will be more drilling, Colorado holds some of the biggest oil fields in the country, and once the price or oil goes over $60 a barrel than I fully expect drilling to pick right back up in the state.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:09 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,109,530 times
I've heard of fracking issues on that side of the interstate, and seen comments on this very forum, though I don't remember exactly the folks where located (definitely inside Weld County, maybe around Severance?) I don't think it was Windsor, per se, though.

People in neighborhoods over there were experiencing the usual "suspects", i.e. attributes (vibrations, tremors, broken pictures and furniture falling over and breaking, maybe noise too). I'm not sure that anything has changed since (I remember reading about these things maybe three years ago). Search The Coloradan newspaper online too. There have definitely been news reports.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:42 AM

191 posts, read 134,689 times
Too bad the news of a fatal home explosion, directly caused by a nearby gas pipeline, never made these pages, but two people are dead as a result. Soon afterward, an oil storage tank blew up within a few miles.

Over the past 20 years, I've watched drilling rigs and gas facilities spread along the north I-25 corridor like mushrooms after the rain (which you wouldn't see here, but it's a convenient metaphor). Now, you'll never be out of sight of one between Denver and the Fort. There are tens of thousands of wells now, and over a hundred thousand separate pipelines among them.

Would this kind of development, plus the attendant workforce change a place? You bet. If you like Oklahoma or Texas, here's where you can enjoy that kind of fossil-fueled prosperity with legal pot and a mountain view. Love it or leave it, but the sleepy, agricultural northern Colorado that I once saw is changed forever.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:26 AM

20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Here's a map of all the oil and gas wells in COLO.

https://denverpostdata.carto.com/viz...9693/embed_map
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:39 PM

390 posts, read 278,103 times
I can tell you that neighborhoods that live with oil and gas right on their doorsteps are full of unhappy campers that live there. The usual complaints are vibrations, noise during the night, bad smells on and off so that they can't open their windows at night etc, rumbling trucks in and out and sometimes spills. Other people, it doesn't bother at all.

I would use the map shared above and maybe jump on some local Facebook pages (if you are on facebook) to see if you can't talk to some of the residents of these particular neighborhoods.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:44 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,102,904 times
I have friends who live in Windsor they dont have any problems . The area around Hwy 392 and the Poudre River .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or