Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,816 times

Advertisements

Hello, I recently accepted a position at the new Scheels opening up in Johnstown, CO. I am 25 years old and am excited to be moving out to Colorado. My first choice was Loveland, but future managers have informed me that the cost of living is much more and that Greeley is a much cheaper place to live.
I am moving from Fargo, ND. its a nice town and I have always felt safe here. I have read plenty of threads about gang violence and am wondering if it truly is as bad as it sounds in Greeley. If so, what areas of Greeley are safer and would be a nicer place to live.
I also have heard about the smell in Greeley, this will not be a huge deal to me as I grew up near a beet plant that reeked something fierce, so I will be tolerant of the smell.
How far of a drive is it really to get to the ski resorts? (Loveland, Keystone, Copper)
And lastly how his the downtown/bar scene? As a single 25yo I am looking to meet new people and make friends as soon as I can.
I will appreciate your responses GREATLY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:22 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDA0021 View Post
Hello, I recently accepted a position at the new Scheels opening up in Johnstown, CO. I am 25 years old and am excited to be moving out to Colorado. My first choice was Loveland, but future managers have informed me that the cost of living is much more and that Greeley is a much cheaper place to live.
I am moving from Fargo, ND. its a nice town and I have always felt safe here. I have read plenty of threads about gang violence and am wondering if it truly is as bad as it sounds in Greeley. If so, what areas of Greeley are safer and would be a nicer place to live.
I also have heard about the smell in Greeley, this will not be a huge deal to me as I grew up near a beet plant that reeked something fierce, so I will be tolerant of the smell.
How far of a drive is it really to get to the ski resorts? (Loveland, Keystone, Copper)
And lastly how his the downtown/bar scene? As a single 25yo I am looking to meet new people and make friends as soon as I can.
I will appreciate your responses GREATLY!
Greeley is the most affordable place in the northern Front Range, but gets a bad rap, I believe mostly for the reasons you've mentioned. It seems people generally have negative feelings about it and I've heard and read on here many steering others away. I've lived in the Fort Collins/Loveland area for a few years now and have only been through Greeley once, when I drove out there one Saturday just to take a look. I really don't remember much about it, but it did seem run down to me compared to most of the Front Range area.

You will be an extra 30 minutes from the mountains, compared to say Loveland, which to me, is paramount if outdoor activities are high on your list. I can't speak for the nightlife scene for either place, but Fort Collins is much more happening in that department compared to Greeley, I'd imagine. To get to Loveland Pass or Copper, it'll be at least two hours with zero traffic, but more like 3 probably.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:26 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
The smell you mentioned is more cattle/manure rather than vegetable processing. You might try using Google Maps, and switch to aerial photography to look for feedlots and such.

I'm not sure that cost of living is significantly more in Loveland. Homes in general are higher in Loveland, but most of the rest of costs would be very similar.

You might try doing a city comparison of Fargo and Greeley
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

As far as crime goes, it came up with this:

Violent Crime
Fargo - 27.7
Greeley - 38.7
US average - 31.1 (so Fargo is less than the average, and Greeley is more)

Property Crime
Fargo - 38.9
Greeley - 45
US average - 38.1 (so Fargo is slightly more than the average, and Greeley is quite a bit more)

A cursory glance at other attributes: The unemployment rate and income taxes are higher in Greeley, there are less people in the 25-34 age group in Greeley, and Greeley is much more Hispanic (about 35% compared to Fargo's 3%).

Last edited by Yac; 11-18-2020 at 02:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area