U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 02:53 PM

14 posts, read 9,154 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I will be moving to Fort Collins soon (April) and would like to know how the job market is in the area. While my work experience has primarily been in advertising and copywriting, I am looking out branch out of those fields. I've also traffic agent/coordinator for cargo company experience and have done my fare share of television production work, as well.

I've been reading up on Halliburton and other energy (oil & gas) companies and they seem to pay rather well. I figure I'd apply for entry-level position and see where things go from there.

Are there any other companies or industries looking for hired help? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 05:09 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,116,724 times
The job market is horrible in Fort Collins, unless you're into real estate, the medical field, or work in construction, and have a long history of education and work in Colorado (i.e. you're a native or long-timer). Even nearby towns are hard. I ended up having to work in a town close to an hour away.

I'm unaware of Halliburton having an office here. The area seems quite against oil & gas, unless you are talking about Weld County, which isn't Fort Collins. There are no TV stations here, other than maybe a little college one for students.

Jobs pay horrible around here. Do heavy research with real numbers (real jobs, real pay), and factor in cost of living before you jump. Keep in mind that locals and long-timers will get preference over those from other states. Skills and work experience seem to mean nothing to people here. It's more about clicking and being like others. Regardless, there is huge competition over jobs around here. And it's not getting any better with the endless stream of newcomers...

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-25-2017 at 05:33 PM..

Old 03-02-2017, 02:37 PM

549 posts, read 1,278,235 times
Fort Collins is very competitive for entry level work. Proceed with caution. If you get hired by Halliburton you probably will end up in ND, Texas, Wyoming, ect. Wherever the work is. Hope you fit in with the rednecks.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,409 posts, read 39,775,898 times
Ft Collins is OUT for entry level jobs. (college + lots of kids + people thinking it is the 'in' place to be + high housing costs)

If you want a fresh start in a new place with opportunities (especially energy), consider SD (Income tax free). Rapid City has a lot of activities (including TV and Media), mtns nearby, and close enough to energy. Spearfish is very nice, but a college town (more competition for entry jobs). Sturgis is between the two and worth considering.

Tax Free WY is a risk (high housing costs)

Tax Free TX if you are ready to REALLY work (energy). It is not an ez life.

A good friend went to Saudi when young and worked oil. 10 yrs later he looked 40 yrs older, but he was very well off. (+/-)

State Income tax free earning was a BIG raise when I left Colorado for WA in 1970's. That little bit of savings was a big help to retiring 15 yrs early.

Consider getting beyond entry level at whatever you do. Sooner the better.

Tax Free WA minimum wage is $11. (More in Seattle, but HIGH CoL)
Tax Free TX is $7.25 (hint: WA is over 50% MORE !!!)
Colorado (taxed) is $9.30

If you want energy, get your CDL license, that will get you up to $18 - $25.
Work nights +20%
Work Weekends +10%
Work Overtime especially on Holidays! (3x pay in some careers)

Don't come to FC and make salads for $7+ tips (?)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-03-2017 at 09:18 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 5,585 times
I have been researching this move too and find that jobs are scarce. Have you thought about the beer industry or government? seems those are places with steady employment in FoCo. Going entry level is hard too. I retired early and now want to reenter the workforce, lots of ageism competing with millennials

Old 03-09-2017, 07:04 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,116,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgecko View Post
...lots of ageism competing with millennials
Worth repeating. I agree wholeheartedly. Additionally, I've never been in an area (like this) with what seems like such a high percentage of 20-30 somethings.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:35 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,625,200 times
If your plan is to go into the oil field than Fort Collins is not the best idea.

If your plan is to work in the field than you need to be somewhere between Greeley and Brighton. While Fort Collins is only about 35 miles from Greeley the yards are actually in the east to southeast area of the Evans greeley area. So it is usually closer to a 45 minute drive in good driving conditions, which is actually much more likely when going to work as opposed to when you will be getting off. Those guys usually start at 4 am and work 14-16 hour days, they are getting off during rush hour after a shift of very physical work. If you are not used to that kind of work than the last thing you want to do is add another 1:30 of driving time to your days. That is also if you are lucky, what many do not tell you is that many companies hire from northern Colorado for North Dakota and northern Wyoming, so that means you end up driving up to those fields for 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off, when it is slow. Once it picks up those will quickly pick up to where it is really 3 weeks on and 1 week off, and they will try to convince you to work that other week off as well. I know many guys who have been gone for 6 weeks straight.

If you are working in the regional offices those are usually in downtown Denver, if you are trying to get an entry level job that works in the office you can easily have a 1:30-2:00 hours commute each way. For the entry level type jobs down there you are not making the huge paychecks, the mid level guys and lower management usually end up on the road a lot as well. It leaves a bad lifestyle either way, you want to be much closer to the city for that job.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:02 PM

14 posts, read 9,154 times
Thanks for all the informative responses. I am reconsidering the oil & gas avenue of employment, unless it's a cushy office job with one the companies. While I do have a bachelor's degree, it's not in the field. The beer industry might be worth looking into, though. Again, thanks everyone for responding.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,409 posts, read 39,775,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoFtCollins View Post
Thanks for all the informative responses. I am reconsidering the oil & gas avenue of employment, unless it's a cushy office job with one the companies. While I do have a bachelor's degree, it's not in the field. The beer industry might be worth looking into, though. Again, thanks everyone for responding.
then try to get a GOOD job... CSU, USFS, Medical, Woodward, Budweiser, Costco, or Walmart distribution...
FSA Loveland

There are a herd of excellent qualified candidates, but you might be the perfect one!

let us know your field / experience / desired position and we can be of even more help!

Old 03-23-2017, 06:39 PM

75 posts, read 61,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Ft Collins is OUT for entry level jobs. (college + lots of kids + people thinking it is the 'in' place to be + high housing costs)

If you want a fresh start in a new place with opportunities (especially energy), consider SD (Income tax free). Rapid City has a lot of activities (including TV and Media), mtns nearby, and close enough to energy. Spearfish is very nice, but a college town (more competition for entry jobs). Sturgis is between the two and worth considering.

Tax Free WY is a risk (high housing costs)

Tax Free TX if you are ready to REALLY work (energy). It is not an ez life.

A good friend went to Saudi when young and worked oil. 10 yrs later he looked 40 yrs older, but he was very well off. (+/-)

State Income tax free earning was a BIG raise when I left Colorado for WA in 1970's. That little bit of savings was a big help to retiring 15 yrs early.

Consider getting beyond entry level at whatever you do. Sooner the better.

Tax Free WA minimum wage is $11. (More in Seattle, but HIGH CoL)
Tax Free TX is $7.25 (hint: WA is over 50% MORE !!!)
Colorado (taxed) is $9.30

If you want energy, get your CDL license, that will get you up to $18 - $25.
Work nights +20%
Work Weekends +10%
Work Overtime especially on Holidays! (3x pay in some careers)

Don't come to FC and make salads for $7+ tips (?)
Excellent post. ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or