U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 10:20 AM

5,894 posts, read 2,771,179 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the update LB. Sorry that it didn't turn out as you were hoping.

Based on your previous words and comments, I had guessed that you would come to the same conclusions. But it is hard to convey fully through words. Seeing up "close and personal" is the ultimate reality check.

You have more information now, and can fine-tune your research with what you now know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 10:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,236 posts, read 43,019,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We are here in Loveland and have been for almost a week now. We fly out on Saturday afternoon.

Have been to different parts of the area and have figured that it isn’t the town for us. ...Didn’t seem like the same rodeo we went to when we lived in Parker.

So, bottom line is: Glad we made the trip, but looks like....nope!
Yup, the region has changed...
so.. if you are still going to be rodeo / country / old -days centric, probably gonna need to head to the CO prairie towns, western slope, or WY. (Red Feather Lake area MIGHT do, but it does not have much for services.)

If WY... consider Sheridan, Buffalo, Powell, or Cody ... still some country left in each.

If you want to remain close to CO, Torrington, and even Pine Bluffs, WY is worth a look

Since you enjoy lakes... might as well consider Douglas or Chugwater.

As a retiree... and looking for slow pace... I would focus on WY, as CO has pretty well sold out to the upwardly (?) mobile. i.e. high costs, big crowds, fast pace, just the cost of progress.

For your costs stress... rural AR or TX, might suffice.
My Hill Country props (near Fredericksburg, Bandera, and Kerrville) are very reasonably priced, quite / "Cowboy" and also senior friendly (and HOT today!) thus I flee to PNW for summers.

Loveland / Estes Park are still places we visit 10+ times / yr, but Colorado has become nicer to Visit than to live. (for us). I suspect we will spend a few yrs there again, but it can never be the 'Home' we cherished 40 yrs ago. The people came, the landscape and cost structure changed, local people who had built the nice communities were displaced and discarded. New Price of Admission!

Hope you had a good trip... it is always best to 'see-for-yourselves'. I attended the National Western StockShow in 2018, for the first (and last) time since 1970's. Totally different experience in 'today's' culture. +/-... I still have many other things to do and enjoy, but I will not be back to the Stock Show (that is fine with me, they still sell out!)

Old 07-26-2018, 04:55 PM

7,471 posts, read 17,307,766 times
Well, after visiting Parker and driving around some, plus seeing our old house, we are totally against moving back to Parker. Lots of people and LOTS of traffic.

We are reconsidering Loveland. Will check out some apt. complexes on the eastern side of Eisenhower Blvd, close to I-25. Are now very interested in Ft Collins as well.

So, if things turn out good, we will be returning to Colorado north. The area does have thing we like after all.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Well, after visiting Parker ... we are totally against moving back to Parker. Lots of people and LOTS of traffic.

We are reconsidering Loveland. Will check out some apt. complexes on the eastern side of Eisenhower Blvd, close to I-25. Are now very interested in Ft Collins as well.

So, if things turn out good, we will be returning to Colorado north. The area does have thing we like after all.
Wellington has worked well for a couple retired friends.

and of course Nunn!! (A friend from Wellington just sent me this pic this week!)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-nunn-grow.jpg

For Loveland, consider the traffic... for 'liveability' / enjoyment... I would stay off Eisenhower as possible.

Friends just rented a place down on Magpie and Swallow for the last 2 yrs (South end of St Louis)
Also walking distance to Chilson Center / Library (preferably South or West of Chilson Center) has several lower cost places on Hotpads.

West 10th Street / 8th (920 Douglas and 1112 Gard Place)
and over on the west side of town (next to Rist Benson Lake / Safeway... 2368 W 18th Street $1200 / month duplex, also on Greeley Dr, next door)

Rist Benson was my (small) elementary age fishing / swimming hole, we built a floating dock. At the time the airport was next door (where K Mart is now).

Another nice (quiet) rental area is near St joes Cath Church.

Ft Collins is VERY accessible from west Loveland (as is the 'short-cut- to WY!!!) and Rist Canyon, Buckhorn, Poudre, Big T, and a lot of nice lakes for fishing (towards Campion / Berthoud) + Carter and Horsetooth Res.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:13 AM

We, mainly my wife, is somewhat worried about the winter months here. It has been 11 years since we endured a Colorado winter. It can get rather cold In Jacksonville, Fl during a Florida winter, but no snow, just frost.

Not totally sold on moving back to Colorado yet, but if not there? When we move, we’ll both be in our early 70’s and definitely on a lower income. Mentally, we feel younger than we are, but physically, a lot of times arthritis pain definitely tells us how old we are. Our boating years are growing shorter and shorter and, with no dry storage (forklift drops boat into water, like we have now) in Colorado or other states, we don’t know if we can go back to ramp launching and retrieving.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
...For your costs stress... rural AR or TX, might suffice. My Hill Country props (near Fredericksburg, Bandera, and Kerrville) are very reasonably priced, quite / "Cowboy" and also senior friendly...
I second SR's comments about TX being a possibility, especially the western part of the state, and maybe Hill Country:

1) it is fairly dry
2) the weather is mild (in between the extremes of FL and CO)
3) there is a good balance of age (not dominantly young), maybe even weighed more towards seniors
4) the cowboy spirit tends to be alive and valued
5) slower pace
6) wide-open spaces
7) less subject to change and volatility
8) reasonable costs / COL
9) access to real lakes
10) ease of travel, no I-25 congest-a-thons
11) recreation, camping, and state parks are more developed statewide (than CO), and less expensive
12) savings and limited income go much father!

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-27-2018 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-27-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I second SR's comments about TX being a possibility, especially the western part of the state, and maybe Hill Country:

1) it is fairly dry
2) the weather is mild (in between the extremes of FL and CO)
3) there is a good balance of age (not dominantly young), maybe even weighed more towards seniors
4) the cowboy spirit tends to be alive and valued
5) slower pace
6) wide-open spaces
7) less subject to change and volatility
8) reasonable costs / COL
9) access to real lakes
10) ease of travel, no I-25 congest-a-thons
11) recreation, camping, and state parks are more developed statewide (than CO), and less expensive
12) savings and limited income go much father!
We just don’t like Texas that much to live there. Just like Florida, many like/love it, even wth the tropical storms, possible hurricanes and high humidity, while others definitely don’t.

Even though Parker has a Feed/Tack Store and a yearly parade (Parker Days) of equine units, like Loveland does (Laramie County Fair/rodeo), Parker wasn’t Western at all.

Really wonder what the winters are truly like in Ft Collins and even Loveland areas. How cold it can get and how much snow can fall. We were told that Parker winters are much worse than either Loveland or Ft Collins.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:17 AM

5,102 posts, read 4,820,690 times
If you didn't think Loveland was the right area yesterday, I would be kinda skeptical about bringing it back to consideration today but maybe it is the compromise, not finding better mix of what you want. Fort Collins makes no sense imo, unless you bottom line are admitting to yourself that you want / need a very developed / pretty big and sure to get much bigger area to feel set.

I've haven't re-looked at every that you've said but if you want old west, low snow, summer boating and rodeo activity in town all summer (go to it when you want but see gear all the time in modest amounts, etc.) then do Cody. Or Cody for 9-10 months a year and Fla, TX or CO for rest.

Other areas to consider might include Cortez / Dolores (lots of lakes within an hour, some fairly warm). Cortez is fairly old west. Durango is a new West town but not everybody outside it are.

Prineville OR, part old west. Rodeo, lakes. Near but not too near Bend for modern urban stuff. Helena MT. Rapid City SD. Muskogee OK. Casper / Douglas / Glendo WY. Lakeside / Pinetop or Payson AZ (oldest continuous rodeo, easy warm big lakes within a few hours).

Since Parker years ago because of winter concerns and you me too them again, maybe Arizona or Oregon (or possibly the earmest part of SW CO) might be worth a closer look.Eastern WY and Helena MT are probably the worst places I mentioned if winter concerns are pretty high.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-27-2018 at 11:36 AM..

Old 07-27-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
We just don’t like Texas that much to live there. Just like Florida, many like/love it, even wth the tropical storms, possible hurricanes and high humidity, while others definitely don’t.
But western TX doesn't have tropical storms, hurricanes, and high humidity. Maybe you don't realize the size of the state, and just how much is away from the coast. It's not like FL, which is surrounded by water, humidity, and threats of hurricanes and tropical storms. The western part of TX is more similar and linked environmentally with NM. It's as dry in that part of the state as the desert southwest.

You've not looking objectively and realistically. Just like you wanted to assume modern CO is so similar to earlier CO (which you found not accurate), you need to ease up on perceptions and assumptions of other places as well. Oh well, I won't try offering you any more help. There seems to be no clear path forward and no true search; only a longing for yesteryear.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-27-2018 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-27-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
We, mainly my wife, is somewhat worried about the winter months here. It has been 11 years since we endured a Colorado winter. It can get rather cold In Jacksonville, Fl during a Florida winter, but no snow, just frost.

Not totally sold on moving back to Colorado yet, but if not there? When we move, we’ll both be in our early 70’s and definitely on a lower income. Mentally, we feel younger than we are, but physically, a lot of times arthritis pain definitely tells us how old we are. Our boating years are growing shorter and shorter and, with no dry storage (forklift drops boat into water, like we have now) in Colorado or other states, we don’t know if we can go back to ramp launching and retrieving.
you've brought in a few more criteria (that is good). I use a chart / grid with weighted criteria and score each location.

1) Rocky Mtn west = will never be assured of mild winters / low costs / boating and rodeo access
(it WILL have winter, it has higher than average costs, growing population for available recreation (and water), morphing (dwarfing) social status as 'farm and ranch centric) - That is now the Price-of-admission ($$$ and neighbors).

2) Consider you will likely have a 'staged retirement', different abilities, interests, locations

3) No place is perfect (Florida and CA seem to best fit your current desires, but they each come at a price)

4) Cash / available funds to change lifestyle and location will restrict you (so find the 'best / most likely fit' FIRST)

There are so many great options for you. but... (You can do this on the airplane while returning to FL...and have a DOUBLE successful trip!)
Consider:
1) Finding a location on vast water where you can moor your boat
2) Define your climate zone needs
3) Specify your available budget
4) identifying other services required (airports & colleges for me, hospitals for some, beach / mtns for others)
5) Family / friend proximity

Get out your map / atlas, (airline flight magazine map...)
A) draw circles in areas you can tolerate / enjoy.
B) research costs and services within your circles (keep the circles to a total of 5 for starters)
C) watch videos / PBS specials on the chosen areas
D) Join Forums in each area
E) Narrow it to (2) for trips during rotten weather (I just booked < $100 on SWA to 6 areas, but if you can endure / risk Frontier or Spirit, you can go for 1/2 that fare) I use SWA due to FREE cancellations and changes and free bags.

You have some time,

Take time and make the right decision.

From my perspective...(based on your criteria)
I would look to:
NE TN / southern KY, and western NC (lots of lakes, cowboys, out of tornado alley)
GA, SC mtns
NW AR
Central TX (if you can stand it... Canyon or Medina Lake)
#5, someone else can provide.

You are too far from my region (PNW) to use it as a possibility, tho we have a lot of water, cowboys, and mild winters. the left coast is expensive and will remain that way

The mtn states will continue to have 'winter'. (and be BROWN 6 months / yr)
CA and FL have a lot of options, some might be affordable AND desirable.

Good luck...

we are planning our different strategies; (by decade)
60 - 70 active / adventuresome / productive (earning extra dough doing RE remodeling and side gigs / hope to find or build a rural senior cottage community)
70 - 80 - 'restrained' active.. less adventuresome, and less 'input' (energy) to trips / liquidate BURDENSOME properties and assets (too much to maintain during our 80's) - LAND in a 'preferred' spot by age 80 (out from under managing an 'estate' / huge yards and farmyard), but maybe living at a camp / retreat center as volunteer staff. - done 'fixing stuff' (cars, trucks, tractors, fences)
80-90 - defined location with access to daily care if needed (probably in our own place with extra space for a caregiver)
90+ senior village / continuing care option... place to tinker, place to rest in the shade.
SNF (if needed)... already have the application for WY Pioneer Home (Thermopolis, WY) filled out and on file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or