Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 08:41 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
He did a wrap-up summary in Post #89, on Page 9.

~ The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence ~
Thanks. Just read through. Can’t say I’m surprised either. Kind of unfortunate to spend a couple years building something up in your mind when a cheap flight earlier could have saved a lot of trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 08:58 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Thanks. Just read through. Can’t say I’m surprised either. Kind of unfortunate to spend a couple years building something up in your mind when a cheap flight earlier could have saved a lot of trouble.
Yes, but hold the presses.... He/they changed their minds a few days later, and reversed the conclusions of Post 89.

~ It's mighty purty over there, somewhere other than here ~

Old 08-06-2018, 09:26 AM

81 posts, read 81,768 times
Quote:
Yes, but hold the presses.... He/they changed their minds a few days later, and reversed the conclusions of Post 89
Yes, the plot thickens! Will they, or won't they???

Old 08-06-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwb View Post
Yes, the plot thickens! Will they, or won't they???
LOL. I'm placing bets that they will, but not for months, and not before bucketloads more rocks are thrown at the Florida weather and humidity, and at that region for not having enough western mentality. The same complaints have already been repeated a dozen or more times here (maybe several dozen) like a broken record.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-06-2018 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 10:46 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Quote:
LOL. I'm placing bets that they will, but not for months, and not before bucketloads more rocks are thrown at the Florida weather and humidity, and at that region for not having enough western mentality. The same complaints have already been repeated a dozen or more times here (maybe several dozen) like a broken record.
Now, now...….be nice to us, we are Seniors! We just can't jump up and move at a notice, like we could've
30 years ago. No matter how much someone likes an area to move to, it still takes MONEY to move there. If we do indeed have our boat shipped and stored there, that will cost, as well as finding a storage for our apartment stuff and driving there (as in food, gas, hotel/motel). And, on top of that, while my wife is still working a full-time job and has vision insurance, I need cataract surgery in both eyes before we completely pack up.

We made the switch from "not-likely" to "oh yes", after sitting in the hotel room and seriously thinking about it. Then, after returning to Jacksonville, and this darn humidity that hit both of us at the airport, drove around doing some errands and shopping and came to a conclusion that THERE is much, much better than here.
Sort of funny, but when we were expressing the "not-likely-to-no way", my wife told me "now don't go on that relocation forum and tell them how we feel right now." And, what the "H" did I do, exactly what she told me not to do and I got hit right between the eyes, when we changed our minds to the positive side. Have to listen to what the wife tells me.

In the beginning, a couple of years ago, when we really started talking about leaving, I was the one that was pretty much constantly talking about northern Colorado. Now it's my wife that can hardly wait to move, but, certain things still have to be done.

Thing is, yes we complain about the weather and humidity here, but then again, none of you live here and have still have to put up with it. Right?

Our original plan was to move this year in May, but an expensive boat repair last Oct. had to push that date up a year and HOPEFULLY that date won't be pushed up another year (to 2020), but financial and health things can happen.

So, PLEASE give us a break here, ok? Thanks.

Last edited by BabyBoomers2; 08-06-2018 at 10:57 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Thing is, yes we complain about the weather and humidity here, but then again, none of you live here and have still have to put up with it. Right?
Wrong. I've lived in a very humid and hot area too; exactly like Florida. Did I put up with it? Yes. Did I complain about it? Rarely. Most of the time I kept to myself.

What I found there is that thinking about heat and humidity a lot, and dwelling on it, only makes it worse. It's a miserable counter-productive approach. If you want to make matters worse for yourself, that is one thing. But spreading the noise and gloom to everyone in earshot and Internet-shot(?), isn't welcomed by others. Whether in FL, CO, or Timbukto, people grow tired of that. It makes it look like you have nothing productive to focus on. It gives off the impression that you spend all day every day scowling at miserable FL and wimpering about not being in CO.

It might be a lot healthier to be able to find (or make) peace wherever you are. Maybe a change in attitude would go a long way. Since you might not be able to change your environment now, you can 'mentally' improve matters. Studies have shown that frustration, irritation, and annoyance can have a corrosive effect on oneself, so doing something in the opposite direction might make you happier.

I have utmost respect for seniors. But we need to take responsibility for our actions too. And we don't want to be guilty of playing the 'sympathy card'. That just adds to that undesirable "deck". I'm familiar with money and budget issues too. Others are in the same "Boat" as you

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-06-2018 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Wrong. I've lived in a very humid and hot area too; exactly like Florida. Did I put up with it? Yes. Did I complain about it? Rarely. Most of the time I kept to myself.

What I found there is that thinking about heat and humidity a lot, and dwelling on it, only makes it worse. It's a miserable counter-productive approach. If you want to make matters worse for yourself, that is one thing. But spreading the noise and gloom to everyone in earshot and Internet-shot(?), isn't welcomed by others. Whether in FL, CO, or Timbukto, people grow tired of that. It makes it look like you have nothing productive to focus on. It gives off the impression that you spend all day every day scowling at miserable FL and wimpering about not being in CO.

It might be a lot healthier to be able to find (or make) peace wherever you are. Maybe a change in attitude would go along way. Since you might not be able to change your environment now, you can 'mentally' improve matters. Studies have shown that frustration, irritation, and annoyance can have a corrosive effect on oneself.

I have utmost respect for seniors, being one myself. But we need to take responsibility for our actions too. And we don't want to be guilty of playing the 'sympathy card'. That just adds to that undesirable "deck". I'm familiar with money and budget issues too. Others are in the same "Boat" as you
Then you wouldn't believe what some folks told us at the hotel and other places we went to in Loveland, FC and Cheyenne, after we told them we live in Jacksonville....."You have to be kidding, that state? How in the heck can you stand the humidity there?" IOW, people in Loveland and FC have no love for any part of Florida as many-to-most here have no love for Colorado or any surrounding states. We weren't surprised at how they felt, but there were those at Cheyenne Frontier Days that, due to our western wear, couldn't believe where we lived. "You've got to be kidding me" we heard.

As for me, I am a "mouthy" type person and sometimes that good and other times, not so good. Just my personality. I had a short talk with our apt. complex manager who told me that many renters don't come to her about any complaints, but will go talk to neighbors and friends about those problems. She said "that's the good thing about you...….you tell me what you're thinking, not just go to neighbors and complain.

Actually, I had some on this very thread that completely understood our complaints about Florida and didn't criticize me for stating what we didn't like. I'm not the quiet type person and my wife likes that trait about me.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:44 AM

Anyway, somehow we WILL make it there. When exactly, not sure, but definitely hoping next June/2019. Don't think either of us could tolerate two more years here and leave in 2020, but...…….finances and health procedures do rule.

What is funny, we just bought, online, a Denver Bronco's baseball cap for my wife and a Wyoming Cowboys baseball cap for me...…..to wear here.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Then you wouldn't believe what some folks told us ... after we told them we live in Jacksonville....."You have to be kidding, that state? How in the heck can you stand the humidity there?" ... "You've got to be kidding me" we heard.
So, you live according to others opinions? What others think is what you must think? You'll never be happy living that way.

Everything you reveal shows a need for negativity. Whether you're complaining there, or repeating what others have complaining here, you're connected to it all. Follow the trail and look in the mirror. This sounds like more of an attitude issue than one of location.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-06-2018 at 12:10 PM..

Old 08-06-2018, 11:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Now, now...….be nice to us, we are Seniors! We just can't jump up and move at a notice, like we could've
30 years ago. No matter how much someone likes an area to move to, it still takes MONEY to move there. If we do indeed have our boat shipped and stored there, that will cost, as well as finding a storage for our apartment stuff and driving there (as in food, gas, hotel/motel). ...

So, PLEASE give us a break here, ok? Thanks.

We are passing on suggestions to you and OTHER READERS (more importantly, because they are more apt to heed).
  • Consider we are not 'green horns' (I'm a senior, been retired over 12 yrs)
  • Many of us have had to relocate a few times (5x internationally for me)
  • And we have made a LOT of mistakes in our journeys (Like shipping too much STUFF (such as a Bulldozer.../ machine shop / RV's, Cars...)) You can move 'Light' and replace stuff that is not heirloom / antique / collector quality. Moving ANYTHING that has seen rust, Sun exposure (FL to AZ) or saltwater will be a challenge to sell in Colorado (BDTD) Of course... not applicable to You... , so maybe the next guy!
  • As mentioned pages ago, and substantiated by your comments recently ("might be getting too old to boat.". (as in current craft and logistics / cost activity... Cradling the boat & having someone else launch (FL) / avoiding crowded and high pressure Launches in Colorado GOOD IDEA ) There are MANY better (and cheaper) solutions than shipping your existing boat back to CO. Might be a perfect time to readjust to Colorado waters and appropriate gear / crafts / locations for seniors (I will guess that will not be Horsetooth and Carter Lake)

BTW: Living in Thailand is kinda hot and inconvenient at times. But it beats MANY places I have sweltered with no AC... no car, no boat

Time will tell, but someone (of thousands of readers) might get some value out of this thread. (if they can stumble through it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area