U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 03:55 PM

6,906 posts, read 6,501,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
lessor known GREAT places for retirement in WY... (Enough similar to (old) 'Loveland' to consider... Pre 'Centarra' / Aflluenza ) All the below will be far more 'RODEO', than most of CO.
Powell
Dayton
Lander / Riverton
Sundance
New Castle

SD...
Spearfish
Sturgis
Custer
Piedmont

If you like frequent Rodeo / equestrian events... Estes Park, CO is also worth considering. great destination for events, and not a bad place to live 'off-season', very active and happy 'retirement' groups! quite a bit more chilly than Loveland, and add 40 min to any commute (airport / shopping / advanced medical). Several very nice lakes for fishing +RMNP for catch and release.
Rocky Mountain National Park Fishing | Front Range Anglers
Fishing RMNP, Estes Valley & Surrounding Areas from the Guides at Estes Park Mountain
I think this is very good advice in terms of what you are looking for, but I will be really interested to hear your impressions of Loveland. After reading posts from people for a while, you can't help but paint a picture of them in your mind knowing full well that those pictures are probably pretty far from accurate. I'm thinking Loveland might not be what you're after and that what stealth is suggesting might be better fits, but I like being wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 04:20 PM

7,335 posts, read 16,594,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I think this is very good advice in terms of what you are looking for, but I will be really interested to hear your impressions of Loveland. After reading posts from people for a while, you can't help but paint a picture of them in your mind knowing full well that those pictures are probably pretty far from accurate. I'm thinking Loveland might not be what you're after and that what stealth is suggesting might be better fits, but I like being wrong!
This why we are making the trip there next year during the Larimer County Fair & Rodeo. The lakes there look wonderful and they are freshwater. And, of course, we don't have to think/worry about a Tide Table. Freshwater is much better on a boat engine and outdrive that "brackish" or saltwater.

Where we live next, and hopefully last, doesn't have to be a "Western" type town for-to-say. You'd have to know where we are currently living, which doesn't have a "Western" touch at, to understand how we feel. The crime, traffic and population here is outrageous! Not so much right where live, but in other parts of this city, we won't even drive into during daylight hours. Seriously!

Cheyenne is close enough, if we want to go to Frontier Mall for some "Western" flavor wearing our Wrangler jeans, Ariat Lace-Up Ropers and Resistol hats. Since 2009, when we moved here, we've only been able to wear those clothes one time to a USTRC affiliate Team Roping Championship at the equine center some 40 miles from where we live.

We made a mistake, sort of, in moving here. What can we say.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:48 PM

4,656 posts, read 1,328,429 times
Regarding western flavor and rodeos and such, I think Cheyenne and Greeley are close enough to visit those events, while still calling Loveland home.

As an investment, Greeley is outperforming a bit at this point, but Loveland is more stable, as Greeley's economy is based a bit heavily on the gas and oil industry. If you are looking for an investment, perhaps to leave to your children, I think Loveland is a solid investment with good solid, moderate growth.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:31 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,110,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
This why we are making the trip there next year during the Larimer County Fair & Rodeo.

.... for some "Western" flavor wearing our Wrangler jeans, Ariat Lace-Up Ropers and Resistol hats. Since 2009, when we moved here, we've only been able to wear those clothes one time to a USTRC affiliate Team Roping Championship at the equine center some 40 miles from where we live.

We made a mistake, sort of, in moving here. What can we say.
I'm a little puzzled with the questions and yet the trip is still planned for next year.

As for western wear, I see no difference between FL and Loveland. I don't recall seeing anyone in Loveland with such an outfit. Coming out for rodeo activities and dress will be about the same between FL and locally in CO, in my opinion. In other words, just as infrequent. It sounds like Ft. Worth might be more what you are looking for; both with the western wear and culture, and lots of boating spots.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm a little puzzled with the questions and yet the trip is still planned for next year.

As for western wear, I see no difference between FL and Loveland. I don't recall seeing anyone in Loveland with such an outfit. Coming out for rodeo activities and dress will be about the same between FL and locally in CO, in my opinion. In other words, just as infrequent. It sounds like Ft. Worth might be more what you are looking for; both with the western wear and culture, and lots of boating spots.
Northeastern Florida is extremely different than Loveland. A major difference is the high humidity added to a 90 degree + day. Right now our humidity is 84%, making the temp feel like 94 degrees at 9AM.

We went to one rodeo here, in Lake City, and it was a joke......compared to rodeos we went to in Colorado. Florida is noted for many things, but really anything real Western, NO. By Ft. Collins and I-25 there is the Centennial Livestock Auction, Greeley has a large 4th of July Parade and "nice paying" rodeo and Cheyenne isn't that far away from Loveland.

Parker, where we had our house, wasn't a "Western" type town at all, but we could wear our Western clothes, when going to the rodeo in Denver, Castle Rock, Greeley or Pueblo and no one gave us a weird look, like people here would.

We really don't expect some folks, perhaps like you, to understand what we are saying. You'd really have know, like we do now, the difference between here and there.

BTW, Ft Worth is definitely a "no"!

Old 08-06-2017, 08:12 AM

3,054 posts, read 2,081,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This certainly reflects your view and interaction with Colorado, but its by no means the only perspective of it. There are numerous places in Colorado where Wranglers and Ropers are the daily dress code. Granted, Ft Collins and Loveland are not these places except for certain times of the year. Rest assured there are places where an Aeropostale outfit and Teva sandels are laughed at. Tolerated, yes, but certainly laughed at.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
This certainly reflects your view and interaction with Colorado, but its by no means the only perspective of it. There are numerous places in Colorado where Wranglers and Ropers are the daily dress code. Granted, Ft Collins and Loveland are not these places except for certain times of the year. Rest assured there are places where an Aeropostale outfit and Teva sandels are laughed at. Tolerated, yes, but certainly laughed at.
It's obvious, I think, that the person has never been by, or to, Centennial Livestock Auction or in Greeley. But, then again, if those places are of no interest to them, good enough reason not to know about them. They probably have never been to Strasburg or any area around there. We have. We also use to be members of the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame and go to all of their events. Plenty of Wrangler jeans and Roper boots there. The Front Range isn't all about downtown Denver and the metro area. We've even been to the Spomer Bison Ranch in Milliken.

One thing for sure, The Front Range and Eastern Plains of Colorado sure isn't all "big city"!

Old 08-06-2017, 09:55 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,620,844 times
Quote:
It's obvious, I think, that the person has never been by, or to, Centennial Livestock Auction or in Greeley. But, then again, if those places are of no interest to them, good enough reason not to know about them. They probably have never been to Strasburg or any area around there. We have. We also use to be members of the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame and go to all of their events. Plenty of Wrangler jeans and Roper boots there. The Front Range isn't all about downtown Denver and the metro area. We've even been to the Spomer Bison Ranch in Milliken.

One thing for sure, The Front Range and Eastern Plains of Colorado sure isn't all "big city"!
LOL, I never thought I would see someone brag about being to Strasburg or the Spomer ranch, but then I guess most wanna be cowboys have no idea that going to places like that are not a big deal. Also Strasburg has become less of a small farm town and is now more of a commuter area, you see things have changed pretty drastically in one of the fastest growing areas in the country over the last 10 years.

Also I have spent more time than probably anybody on this board in Greeley, and my mom ran the boot and hat department at the largest farm store in Greeley many years ago Outside of special occasions you will never see dress boots and cowboy hats around Greeley, even during the stampede you will not see that many.

To me it sounds like you want to play dress up and visit these places, which is fine, but if your most important worry is how people are dressing than Loveland is not the right place for you. The traditional western culture has lost much of it's stronghold along the front range especially west of I-25, the poster you are responding to lives in the Fort Collins and Loveland area, and is right. I don't come across many people wearing wranglers in those areas, and have not come across many that even own a pair of traditional cowboy boots. I do not remember the last time I saw anybody with cowboy boots and a cowboy hat in Loveland, Greeley, or Fort Collins.

Now if you want more of a traditional western/farming/ranching culture than you either have to move to the western slope or further east in Colorado. Say somewhere like Fort Morgan, Sterling, Burlington, or Delta and Rangely on the western slope.

If you want to live somewhere that you can play dress up and drive to rodeos and find some people wearing cowboy hats and boots than any place along the front range will be fine. I will let you in on a secret though, most farmers or ranchers only actually wear a cowboy hat, button down shirts, and nice boots for special occasions like weddings and funerals, most wear trucker hats, tshirts (or polos with a breast pocket) with any kind of jeans, and work boots 95% of the time.

As for boating, what do you want to know? Yes there are several lakes around Loveland, yes it is all fresh water and is easier on your boat, and yes Colorado still has a problem with limited lakes and large rivers. Add them all up and what you really find is that most public lakes are packed with boats all summer long, and most people that want to spend a ton of time on their boat find ways to find and join private lakes, but those are getting harder and harder to find these days.

Also if you want to play dress up and not actually be involved in the western culture and lifestyle than you will likely want to avoid Wyoming, as you will stick out like a sore thumb and they are much less tolerant of fake cowboys. If your dream lifestyle is to raise some cattle, farm a crop or two, and be at the coffee shop every morning by 8 am, than Wyoming or further east or western slope Colorado is your best bet.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
LOL, I never thought I would see someone brag about being to Strasburg or the Spomer ranch, but then I guess most wanna be cowboys have no idea that going to places like that are not a big deal. Also Strasburg has become less of a small farm town and is now more of a commuter area, you see things have changed pretty drastically in one of the fastest growing areas in the country over the last 10 years.

Also I have spent more time than probably anybody on this board in Greeley, and my mom ran the boot and hat department at the largest farm store in Greeley many years ago Outside of special occasions you will never see dress boots and cowboy hats around Greeley, even during the stampede you will not see that many.

To me it sounds like you want to play dress up and visit these places, which is fine, but if your most important worry is how people are dressing than Loveland is not the right place for you. The traditional western culture has lost much of it's stronghold along the front range especially west of I-25, the poster you are responding to lives in the Fort Collins and Loveland area, and is right. I don't come across many people wearing wranglers in those areas, and have not come across many that even own a pair of traditional cowboy boots. I do not remember the last time I saw anybody with cowboy boots and a cowboy hat in Loveland, Greeley, or Fort Collins.

Now if you want more of a traditional western/farming/ranching culture than you either have to move to the western slope or further east in Colorado. Say somewhere like Fort Morgan, Sterling, Burlington, or Delta and Rangely on the western slope.

If you want to live somewhere that you can play dress up and drive to rodeos and find some people wearing cowboy hats and boots than any place along the front range will be fine. I will let you in on a secret though, most farmers or ranchers only actually wear a cowboy hat, button down shirts, and nice boots for special occasions like weddings and funerals, most wear trucker hats, tshirts (or polos with a breast pocket) with any kind of jeans, and work boots 95% of the time.

As for boating, what do you want to know? Yes there are several lakes around Loveland, yes it is all fresh water and is easier on your boat, and yes Colorado still has a problem with limited lakes and large rivers. Add them all up and what you really find is that most public lakes are packed with boats all summer long, and most people that want to spend a ton of time on their boat find ways to find and join private lakes, but those are getting harder and harder to find these days.

Also if you want to play dress up and not actually be involved in the western culture and lifestyle than you will likely want to avoid Wyoming, as you will stick out like a sore thumb and they are much less tolerant of fake cowboys. If your dream lifestyle is to raise some cattle, farm a crop or two, and be at the coffee shop every morning by 8 am, than Wyoming or further east or western slope Colorado is your best bet.
Don't know where your "Dress up" and "wannabe cowboy" statements came from! I spent years with PRCA! Still have two "heading" ropes from Classic Rope Company!

Other than that, rodeo is still big along the Front Range and Centennial Livestock Auction is still running.

Never said that The Front Range hasn't changed since we left, but entire area isn't all "big city" yet!

Old 08-06-2017, 11:21 AM

6,906 posts, read 6,501,326 times
Quote:
Don't know where your "Dress up" and "wannabe cowboy" statements came from! I spent years with PRCA! Still have two "heading" ropes from Classic Rope Company!

Other than that, rodeo is still big along the Front Range and Centennial Livestock Auction is still running.

Never said that The Front Range hasn't changed since we left, but entire area isn't all "big city" yet!
It does sound a little like playing dress up the way you talk about "putting on a Resistol and Wranglers", but I get it. I like to throw on a tie dye and go watch Grateful Dead music sometimes, but I don't always dress like a hippie. I would be bummed if I lived somewhere I couldn't do that every once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or