U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 12:04 PM

3,494 posts, read 2,617,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Mountains View Post
I know you wrote this last yr. Thanks! Husband & I want to leave Missouri.

So Colorado is a terrarium? Not what I want to hear. We live in a bluff valley terrarium right now and hate it.

It seems as if everything I read is not really that positive toward moving to CO. Really an eye opener.
I've never heard CO referred to as a terrarium. What exactly do you mean by that?

Is CO for everyone, no. I believe you will need to ask more questions and do more research to determine if it is a fit for you.

I would also caution that Thoreau424 posts are almost always overly negative and are typically posting how awful the place is, even after visiting regularly for tens years, they claim. How you could be that surprised after that many visits is amazing to me. It also is a fairly isolated view of only the NorCo area as well and not the state as a whole. If you are considering Loveland, there may be some relevance in his opinions, but if you are considering anywhere else in teh state, the relevancy changes rapidly.

Stealthrabbit has along history with CO and I tend to respect a numberof his posts, but he also is not a big CO proponent. He will certainly open you eyes to other options, which is never a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 09:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,308 posts, read 43,059,520 times
CO is nice, but it is no longer Nirvana (As many still hope).

As always,
  • do your research
  • stay with locals when you visit (during worst part of yr)
  • Attend events as if you were a resident
  • Visit your county planner and assessor BEFORE starting a property search
  • Be prepared for barriers.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:44 AM

7,471 posts, read 17,313,710 times
I really do believe that those who have never lived in Colorado, should visit in the winter, when the temps are pretty cold and some inches of snow on the ground.

Way to many people, who have never lived in snow, wind up moving to Colorado and later complaining about how cold it is and the snowfall. I remember what one lady said to me, on another forum, who had moved from Sacramento to Colorado, “I thought it only snowed in the mountains.” I really had to LOL when I read that.

So, do your research to Colorado or anywhere, before spending out the money for the move.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:46 AM

8,095 posts, read 7,524,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Mountains View Post
I know you wrote this last yr. Thanks! Husband & I want to leave Missouri.

So Colorado is a terrarium? Not what I want to hear. We live in a bluff valley terrarium right now and hate it.

It seems as if everything I read is not really that positive toward moving to CO. Really an eye opener.
What do you mean by terrarium? I’ve read the post you quoted and don’t see any mention of the landscape.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
What do you mean by terrarium? I’ve read the post you quoted and don’t see any mention of the landscape.
I was wondering about that also.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:38 PM

4 posts, read 1,766 times
I have debilitating arthritis, lived in humid NJ. We moved to Montrose Co, not disappointed. It’s dry, my joints thank me. doesn’t get much snow but close to snow at higher elevations if we feel like visiting it. Great new rec center, lots for seniors to do, volunteer opportunities. Not the heat of Az or the cold of Wy. or the crowds of Denver area.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:44 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,156,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I really do believe that those who have never lived in Colorado, should visit in the winter, when the temps are pretty cold and some inches of snow on the ground.

Way to many people, who have never lived in snow, wind up moving to Colorado and later complaining about how cold it is and the snowfall. I remember what one lady said to me, on another forum, who had moved from Sacramento to Colorado, “I thought it only snowed in the mountains.” I really had to LOL when I read that.

So, do your research to Colorado or anywhere, before spending out the money for the move.
And yet you've been in Loveland for, what, six months now and you're already planning to move to Wyoming because Loveland isn't "Western enough"? SMH.... Obviously didn't do enough research.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:38 PM

Well, Jamary1, we have been in Cheyenne, Wyoming for the last couple days now, and now know, without a doubt, we won’t be moving to Cheyenne. This city is only Western during CFD.

Might wind up moving to eastern Ft Collins, but, most likely will NOT stay in Loveland.

BTW, have only been in Loveland for three months. Have already had three snows since living here. Didn’t bother us at all, but we lived in snow here before. Will take snow over heat and humidity any time!

Old 11-09-2019, 10:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,308 posts, read 43,059,520 times
Don't forget to explore living in Wellington (if you want to be near Cheyenne).

Look to other living situations than a standard apartment complex. I have many HS friends who lived in your current complex and it was a very 'party-central' (first time away from home) option.

55+ might suit you better (it would me if I needed to live in an apartment).

For Loveland, I would be getting on the wait list for the rental units next to Benson Sculpture Garden, or a 55+ MHP or community. IIRC there are some 55+ places near Boyd Lake / East Walmart (Tho I don't like eastside traffic.)

Have you tried the lakes near Campion / Berthoud? (Lon Hagler...)
Getting out of downtown style high density apartments would greatly improve QoL. And you would have a place to keep your boat. We have a subsidized senior housing area in a small rural town near us, and there are as many boats in the parking lot as cars!

Johnstown might open up even more options (lakes / river / less density)p
I really like Berthoud and they should have 55+ places / MHP. The nearby lakes are now private IIRC.

Ideal might be a multi-living space home on Boedecker Lake. Shop with apartment / ADU at a home where the primary residents travel a lot. A good friend built a MIL cottage at his home near Boedecker Lake. Separate entrance / driveway / yard, privacy, covered RV parking + garage (and nice view). I think he was getting $850/ month. Rent would be cut in half if you liked to ride around on Zero turn and mow the grass... Friends on West 8th rent out a 1800 SF apartment above shop for $1000. Very private / quiet / comfortable. (Alley access).

Old 11-10-2019, 04:58 AM

7,678 posts, read 2,260,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, Jamary1, we have been in Cheyenne, Wyoming for the last couple days now, and now know, without a doubt, we won’t be moving to Cheyenne. This city is only Western during CFD.

Might wind up moving to eastern Ft Collins, but, most likely will NOT stay in Loveland.

BTW, have only been in Loveland for three months. Have already had three snows since living here. Didn’t bother us at all, but we lived in snow here before. Will take snow over heat and humidity any time!
There is not going to be one bit of difference for you between eastern Fort Collins or Loveland. If anything, you're going to have more traffic, more young people and more growth in Ft Collins, vs Loveland, however. Your rent will also most likely be a bit more expensive.

If you want Western, you're going to have to move to a small town somewhere remote and desolate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area