U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 07:35 AM

7,335 posts, read 16,592,209 times

Advertisements

Am wondering what the Senior population is like in Loveland for Seniors in their early 70's?

Am also wondering about how local Seniors handle the winters there? Sickness?

Wife and I lived in an apartment in Englewood (south) and in a house in Parker for a total of 5 1/2 years. That was 10 years ago. Originally grew up in the "snowbelt" states of Indiana and Michigan. Now living in Jacksonville, FL, since January 2009, but really miss Colorado and southeastern Wyoming.

A little more info about us:
Currently, my wife has a sinus cold and has told me "I can get this, or a regular cold, here or there (Loveland), so moving really isn't going to matter when it comes to winter." I understood what she said, but would like to hear from Seniors and/or others that live in Loveland. Now, I do remember having a hip replacement and rotator cuff surgery, while living in Colorado. The hip replacement had nothing to do with the winter there, but the rotator cuff surgery came from falling in ice/snow in our driveway. After that rotator cuff surgery/rehab, we decided to move to a less "winter" area (small town just north of Charlotte, NC). My thinking was, "I don't want either of us to fall, due to ice/snow, and become disabled". Anyway, after a year in N.C., we moved to here in JAX. Thing is, in 2012, I fell in the parking lot of our apt. complex, which required rotator cuff surgery on my other shoulder. Neither wife or I gave it a thought "we could fall anywhere we move to in any season". IOW, we could have definitely stayed in Colorado and continue to enjoy the things we so much miss about living there.

So, we are wondering here about two things.........Senior population in Loveland and how Seniors there cope with "Old Man Winter". We done it once before, guess we could do it again, even though it has been 10 years ago.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, we are both on Medicare, but I'm also on VA Medical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 09:41 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,109,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Am also wondering about how local Seniors handle the winters there? Sickness?
Seems like most in Loveland are from the town, or the area at least, and are used to the conditions. Probably no significant sicknesses beyond those normal to the age group. Assuming they have decent heating, and tend to stay inside, there appear to be no unusual circumstances.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times
My retiree friends in Loveland are outside nearly everyday. Light snow is often gone by noon. Occasional heavy snow... you get to shovel your sidewalks by noon or get a citation!

My 96 yo friend had logged over 1000 trips walking the 5 miles around Lake Loveland. (most were in the winter, as he was busy climbing 14,000ft mtns and fishing during summers.)

Bicycling is very easy and great access to paved trails.
A Walk in the Benson Sculpture Garden is a nice way to spend a winter (or spring) day

Usually driving around during winter, you are in your shirt sleeves inside your car (Terrarium).

Swimming... I still swim everyday I visit Loveland during the winter (You can choose various times and locations from High Schools or Chilson Rec Center (Where there is an active senior program).
Chilson Senior Center | City of Loveland
Facility Information | City of Loveland
Parks: (Lots of parks)
Parks Facilities | City of Loveland
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Colorado.html

During Valentine remailing program... Senior volunteers show up daily! https://withlovefromloveland.com/the...iling-program/

There is a lot to do in Loveland, and winter is a great time to engage with others in the community.
(art, drama, music, clubs, senior services, Meals on Wheels, Library volunteer, school volunteer...)
http://lovelandmealsonwheels.org/
https://sites.google.com/site/lovelandfishingclub/
Fishing Derby | City of Loveland
http://www.cityofloveland.org/depart...activity-guide

I don't know of any active seniors who stay indoors during winter, 90% of the winter will be dry. (though 40% might be a tad windy). Welcome the Warm 'Chinook winds'! They are amazing (tho rare).

Any nice winter day (most are nice) is great for a drive to Estes Park or up the Buckhorn Canyon / Rist Canyon

When you are really bored... you can drive out to Johnson's Corner for a cinnamon roll!
Cinnamon Rolls from the Johnson's Corner Bakery, Johnstown CO

When possible... take the train to Glenwoood Springs for a couple days soaking in the Hot Springs!

Old 12-03-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My retiree friends in Loveland are outside nearly everyday. Light snow is often gone by noon. Occasional heavy snow... you get to shovel your sidewalks by noon or get a citation!

My 96 yo friend had logged over 1000 trips walking the 5 miles around Lake Loveland. (most were in the winter, as he was busy climbing 14,000ft mtns and fishing during summers.)

Bicycling is very easy and great access to paved trails.
A Walk in the Benson Sculpture Garden is a nice way to spend a winter (or spring) day

Usually driving around during winter, you are in your shirt sleeves inside your car (Terrarium).

Swimming... I still swim everyday I visit Loveland during the winter (You can choose various times and locations from High Schools or Chilson Rec Center (Where there is an active senior program).
Chilson Senior Center | City of Loveland
Facility Information | City of Loveland
Parks: (Lots of parks)
Parks Facilities | City of Loveland
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Colorado.html

During Valentine remailing program... Senior volunteers show up daily! https://withlovefromloveland.com/the...iling-program/

There is a lot to do in Loveland, and winter is a great time to engage with others in the community.
(art, drama, music, clubs, senior services, Meals on Wheels, Library volunteer, school volunteer...)
http://lovelandmealsonwheels.org/
https://sites.google.com/site/lovelandfishingclub/
Fishing Derby | City of Loveland
Leisure Times Activity Guide | City of Loveland

I don't know of any active seniors who stay indoors during winter, 90% of the winter will be dry. (though 40% might be a tad windy). Welcome the Warm 'Chinook winds'! They are amazing (tho rare).

Any nice winter day (most are nice) is great for a drive to Estes Park or up the Buckhorn Canyon / Rist Canyon

When you are really bored... you can drive out to Johnson's Corner for a cinnamon roll!
Cinnamon Rolls from the Johnson's Corner Bakery, Johnstown CO

When possible... take the train to Glenwoood Springs for a couple days soaking in the Hot Springs!
Well, there are Seniors that are luckier than others, health wise, and can be outside often. Also, there are Seniors that live on "fixed incomes" and can't do, or go, places that those with a nice Pension or 401K, with SS, can.

One of the things we were wondering about is how Seniors are there with arthritis pain? I read that living in a higher elevation is better for arthritis than where we currently live.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:47 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times
If you have NO money and have poor health, I would guess you can only flee from USA for retirement (as I and 15m others do). https://patientsbeyondborders.com/

I would not be wasting yours and others time looking within USA for a spot to call home.

I know no wealthy retirees in Loveland, tho there are a few, I am sure.
Most I know only have SS and a tad bit of savings. They choose Loveland for quality of life, and what they can GIVE BACK to the community for improved QoL for others.

Arthritis pain is very subjective to your specific symptoms, I have found high altitude to fester pain / chronic issues rather than foster less pain. But my father found joint relief in Colorado, compared to a neighboring state (more weather extremes (Cold and hot for LONGER periods) + more humidity). My mother had to flee CO and found relief 1000' lower in NM. (most joint sufferers find relief in HOT dry places). A very good alternative is Tucson / Cochise Mtns of SE AZ. (or Silver City, NM). Several Loveland 'health exiles' have ended up in AZ. Prescott is also desired and has VA as does Tucson (and off course PHX...). ALL of these regions have improved warmer / dryer climate than Colorado.

Better give CO / WY / SD a try during mid winter.

You can get a free place stay via house sitting for snowbirds. (Several C-D People have done that for successful relocation surveys.)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-06-2017 at 02:02 AM..

Old 12-06-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If you have NO money and have poor health, I would guess you can only flee from USA for retirement (as I and 15m others do). https://patientsbeyondborders.com/

I would not be wasting yours and others time looking within USA for a spot to call home.

I know no wealthy retirees in Loveland, tho there are a few, I am sure.
Most I know only have SS and a tad bit of savings. They choose Loveland for quality of life, and what they can GIVE BACK to the community for improved QoL for others.

Arthritis pain is very subjective to your specific symptoms, I have found high altitude to fester pain / chronic issues rather than foster less pain. But my father found joint relief in Colorado, compared to a neighboring state (more weather extremes (Cold and hot for LONGER periods) + more humidity). My mother had to flee CO and found relief 1000' lower in NM. (most joint sufferers find relief in HOT dry places). A very good alternative is Tucson / Cochise Mtns of SE AZ. (or Silver City, NM). Several Loveland 'health exiles' have ended up in AZ. Prescott is also desired and has VA as does Tucson (and off course PHX...). ALL of these regions have improved warmer / dryer climate than Colorado.

Better give CO / WY / SD a try during mid winter.

You can get a free place stay via house sitting for snowbirds. (Several C-D People have done that for successful relocation surveys.)
Well, we sure wonít be wealthy at retirement. But, we also wonít be doing some things, and buy things, like we are right now. We are hoping to ship our boat there to a storage area. That is, if itís running good enjoy by then.

We donít miss the winters there, but definitely miss other things. Remember, we spent 5 1/2 years there, including winters. Of course weíre 10 years younger then.
I read online that higher elevations, like Loveland, and low humidity is very good for arthritis sufferers. Currently we live in a very low elevation with lots of high humidity.

We simply donít know if Loveland will be for us, but are planning a trip there next summer.

All we do know is that both Jacksonville and Florida isnít for us anymore. And there are places south of Colorado that just get too hot in the summer for us.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:50 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,102,904 times
the least expensive place to retire right now is Ecuador ....
Portugal was once a good deal but prices are going up.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
the least expensive place to retire right now is Ecuador ....
Portugal was once a good deal but prices are going up.
Funny, but Loveland still sounds like our kind of area. As far as the cost of living there, we'll have to decide on that after we visit.
Really don't know where we will go if not to Loveland, but it has to definitely be out of Florida!

Old 12-13-2017, 09:43 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,109,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Funny, but Loveland still sounds like our kind of area. As far as the cost of living there, we'll have to decide on that after we visit.
Really don't know where we will go if not to Loveland, but it has to definitely be out of Florida!
I'm curious why the strong insistence on Loveland. What is it about the town that is so special and gravitating to you?

It's a huge country, and there are many places not like Florida. If you like the west, but also want to avoid humidity, AZ, NM, and western TX might all be possibilities.

As someone who now struggles with money and costs - since moving to Colorado - I'd strongly recommend against moving to a high-cost area such as this. Sure, some places are more expensive (northeast, west coast, etc.) but this is more towards the high end than low end. Everything seems more expensive than it should be, especially compared to the south. I'd estimate that expenses are about 150-200% more than where I previously lived, which gets shocking after awhile. It's an awful feeling to continue to see savings totals steadily drop. And I'm still of working age. I'll also add that we are very "lean" and simple as to expenses. We don't want or need much, but that isn't enough to stop "the slide". If we were younger, we'd have more flexibility in handling "damage control", but in later years, these matters become much more critical.

I'll also add that visiting doesn't always tell the full story. We visited the area first before deciding to move. The encouraging impression we initially got, and negative one we now have, are two very different "realities". I'm sure many here don't like what I say, but I feel a strong need to be a voice of concern and caution, especially if one isn't of very strong financial footing, and has healthy options as to affordability for the future.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-13-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 12-13-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm curious why the strong insistence on Loveland. What is it about the town that is so special and gravitating to you?

It's a huge country, and there are many places not like Florida. If you like the west, but also want to avoid humidity, AZ, NM, and western TX might all be possibilities.

As someone who now struggles with money and costs - since moving to Colorado - I'd strongly recommend against moving to a high-cost area such as this. Sure, some places are more expensive (northeast, west coast, etc.) but this is more towards the high end than low end. Everything seems more expensive than it should be, especially compared to the south. I'd estimate that expenses are about 150-200% more than where I previously lived, which gets shocking after awhile. It's an awful feeling to continue to see savings totals steadily drop. And I'm still of working age. I'll also add that we are very "lean" and simple as to expenses. We don't want or need much, but that isn't enough to stop "the slide".

I'll also add that visiting doesn't always tell the full story. We visited the area first before deciding to move. The encouraging impression we initially got, and negative one we now have, are two very different "realities". I'm sure many here don't like what I say, but I feel a strong need to be a voice of concern and caution, especially if one isn't of very strong financial footing, and has healthy options as to affordability for the future.
Loveland has a nice small population, compared to here. Crime is much lower than Denver metro or here where we live. Since we are into boating and fishing, the lakes around Loveland area are nice. Hopefully, we will be able to have our boat there.

What do we miss? Rodeo's, Fairs, RMNP (with it's Elk) and the "small town" feeling that we definitely don't have here. Being close to "cowboy" stuff, like Centennial Livestock Auction, Cheyenne, Greeley 4th of July Parade.......get what I mean? I spent a number of years with PRCA (based in Colorado Springs) and we REALLY miss the rodeo stuff.

Weather and COL could be better/would be better other places, we just miss Colorado that much. Wife doesn't want to live in Vegas or Phoenix or anywhere where it's really hot in the summer.

In visiting there, we will find out more about costs, but at the same time, will be able to check out the lakes, boat storage, apartments and so on.

BTW, we won't be rich or poor when we move. We already know that we will have to "cut back" on certain things, but that will be just the way it will be. We just want to move to a descent, nice, safe area.

One thing for sure, Loveland sure is no Beverly Hills, CA or Highlands Ranch, CO..........when it comes to "costing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area