U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 12:14 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,403 posts, read 39,722,706 times

Advertisements

North Denver Girl also recommended Denver area schools (which are a bit far for Ft Collins employment.)

Skydog is one of (2) ignored, so who knows...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 08:40 AM

390 posts, read 278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
North Denver Girl also recommended Denver area schools (which are a bit far for Ft Collins employment.)

Skydog is one of (2) ignored, so who knows...

All schools I recommended are in Ft Collins.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:14 PM

390 posts, read 278,103 times
A lot of Ft Collins high schools made this list.

https://patch.com/colorado/denver/co...s-new-rankings

Old 08-05-2018, 05:31 PM

6,904 posts, read 6,499,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Maybe, but Calgary is about 1.2 million people, compared to only ~164,000 here. It's also an economic powerhouse compared to FC. "The Calgary CMA is home to the second-highest number of corporate head offices in Canada among the country's 800 largest corporations" - per Wiki. Fort Collins isn't even notable compared to Denver, let alone the entire US.
Please understand that i was not recommending Denver, nor was I saying that Denver (or Calgary) is the same as Ft Collins. What I am saying is that the move from a city that is in many ways a smaller version of Denver to Ft Collins is not the huge culture shock that moving from say Miami, New York, or Los Angeles to Ft. Collins would be.

On another note, the fact that I have made Stealth’s exclusive ignore list has made my evening. That guy Doesn’t have a nice word for Colorado and hates when his opinions are challenged with facts.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:53 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,355,834 times
I don’t agree that Rocky Mountain Hight School is “rough” in any way. At least it wasn’t when my daughter graduated from there in 2011. It is known as a school that is good for music and arts and so I think it would probably be a good choice for your son I don’t know about swimming programs for your daughter. Generally my opinion about charter and private schools is that people move to FC from other places and assume the public/neighborhood schools can’t be any good. They are wrong in that respect (from my experience) but sometimes people refuse to critically examine their preconceptions.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:22 PM

698 posts, read 1,706,659 times
Thoreau's initial post did not mention Poudre High School, the IB high school in Fort Collins and also the second oldest high school of the 4 main options. The OP may wish to check into that option. I had several friends whose children attended Poudre and had good experiences.

My daughter attended Rocky Mountian High School and we were very pleased with her 4 years there. She was challenged by her AP classes and her extra-curricular activities. Rocky has been known as a school with good athletic programs, as well as good academics. There have been several years in the past decade that Rocky Mountain has been the most sought after high school, so they limited enrollment to residents of the local attendance area while the other 3 schools allowed students from any part of town to attend, as long as they were able to provide their own transportation.

When I attended Fort Collins High Scool it was a highly regarded school. They still have a good reputation. It is known for theater and performing arts.

Because the school district allows students to attend where ever there is room, our daughter chose to attend middle school in the Fossil Ridge attendance area. After a couple of years there, we all felt like it would not be a good fit for high school, so she attended Rocky for high school.

My son wasn't getting the challenges he needed in the mainstream schools in Fort Collins, so he attended Poudre Global Academy in grades 4-12. This might be another option for the OP. It is a hybrid of classroom teaching and online, self-paced learning. This was a perfect fit for our son, who was bored by normal paced classes.

As I mentioned above, the Poudre School District allows student to choice into schools outside of their designated attendance areas when the school has enough room. Therefore, your choice of home location may not be as critical unless you are aiming for a specific school that may be at capacity.

Best of luck in your search.
Mike Weber

Last edited by Mike Weber; 08-06-2018 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: spelling typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or