Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:39 AM

81 posts, read 81,848 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are driving up to Estes Park for 4 hrs on a Monday (8/20) as part of our Colorado vacation. We'll have the morning or afternoon.. either is available. We want to avoid the touristy sections and just park, walk around and enjoy the best views and water areas before driving back to Fort Collins. Maybe we'd need to drive further towards RMNP? Not sure

Could someone give us some information as to when would be the best time to go.. and where in the park we could achieve this?

Thanks for the suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 08:51 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
If you want to go to RMNP and avoid many of the tourists, stay away from Estes Park and go to Grand Lake instead. Estes won't be as busy on a Monday, but it'll still be noticeable.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:13 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
It won't be as bad during the week, but it will still be congested during this time of year and I would go as early as possible.

If you want to stay within town, you can park at the garage at the visitor's center and walk the loop around Lake Estes, grab a bite to eat and then get out of Dodge.

If you plan to go into RMNP itself and want to see water, you can head to Bear Lake, but again, make sure you go very early. Personally, we only go into the park once a year anymore since we have our dog. We go up to Trail Ridge Road in May right before it opens, to be able to walk on the road with our dog. If you went to see the mountain tundra along Trail Ridge Road, it is very spectacular, but again, GO EARLY.

If you have time and want something less touristy, I would skip Estes Park and RMNP altogether and head through Lyons, Ward and down to Nederland. More local vibe and there are some easier, shorter hiking trails you can do.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
As with any summer trip to a NP.. Go EARLY... go late. (more animals / photo ops / less people / quicker travel)

Nothing like waking up to an Estes Park fresh air morning! If you can't stay there overnight.. I would be SURE to be at one of the 3 inbound overlooks for sunrise (sun lighting up the Estes Park Basin) (inbound and HIGH above Estes from Glen Haven, (NE) or Pole Hill (SE)(36) or highway #7 South)

On your way to Bear Lake, stop at Sprague Lake, there were moose, wading in the lake near parking lot on our last visit.
You can find some nice 'scenic hideouts' in RMNP by staying OFF the main sites / trails.

If I were to need to be in Ft Collins in evening... I would leave Estes Park westbound and go over Trail Ridge, then to Walden and down the Poudre to Ft Collins. (LONG trip 3+ hrs extra, but nice) For an EXTRA nice (2 hrs extra... head to saratoga (free hobo hot springs) then over Snowy Range to Laramie, then to Ft Collins (spectacular!) We used to do that loop on our motorcycles... ~5 hrs after work on a weeknight.

Shorter version.. 1.5 hrs(EP to FC)Go east down 34 (very scenic, then take a short detour (right) to Carter and Flatiron / Pinewood lakes, then head back toward Loveland, but staying on the west side of Devi's Backbone. Head toward Masonville, then over Horsetooth to Ft Collins.

If you have more time...2 hrs (EP - FC),,, you can head up the Buckhorn Canyon from Masonville, then take Rist Canyon down into La Porte. (west of Ft Collins)

Old 08-02-2018, 04:39 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Yes, to do anything in RMNP in the time allotted (assuming the 4 hours includes driving to/from Ft Collins?) you will need to leave really, really early. Get there around sunrise. You'll have a couple of hours to enjoy the relative quiet, then when you are leaving the park you will see the lines of cars waiting to get in.

If you don't want to get up early, honestly I'd choose a different destination.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:38 AM

Ok, sounds good.. thank you all.

No problem in getting there early. It looks like 7AM would be optimal. We have a lot of places to visit in & around Fort Collins so we'll probably stay closer to Estes this time. We'll see though?

BTW, is the aerial tram at Estes a good choice or too touristy? The views from the top look spectacular!

Old 08-03-2018, 10:19 AM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwb View Post
BTW, is the aerial tram at Estes a good choice or too touristy? The views from the top look spectacular!
It's fine, IMO, but if you are planning to drive into the National Park I'd skip it.

If the day is not too windy I'd probably head up Trail Ridge Road first. Views are fantastic. This and the Bear Lake area tend to be busiest.

If you want to stop for a picnic before you head back to FC, there are some nice picnic spots in the trees at Endovalley.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:56 PM

718 posts, read 1,986,366 times
For a quieter experience near Estes, consider hiking in Hermit Park. The Limber Pine trail and Kruger Rock trail are nice and realively uncrowded compared to Rocky Mountain National Park. If you are looking for a longer hike, Moose Meadow to Homestead Meadows is a nice hike. The park is a county park, so fees are considerably less than the National Park. You won't get the same elevation or views as in RMNP, but you also won't have the crowds.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:35 AM

Thanks Mike and hikernut...

Well, unfortunately we won't have a lot of time to hike. The trip is mainly set up around visiting FC and Wellington for possible relocation. We're drawn to water, which is why a short jaunt up to Estes to walk around the lake sounded like a good plan. I've copied everyone's suggestions into a document for future use. If we move, we'll definitely take advantage of this generous information and explore further.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:50 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwb View Post
We're drawn to water
But Colorado is such a dry state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado