Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 09:11 PM

13 posts, read 17,401 times

Advertisements

My husband will be starting a new job in Loveland and we will be relocating from the Boston metro area in a few months. We have two young kids and would like a smaller town to live in, Berthoud seems to fit what we want. I don't want a huge house (less than 2200 sq ft would be ideal); too much wasted space, too much to clean and maintain, would rather spend our time and money being outside. I would also like something relatively new, or at least renovated. When I do searches on zillow and realtor.com I find very few choices. All the new stuff looks enormous! We have huge houses here in the Boston area too, but you can find smaller ones as well...am I missing something? Or is it another thing I will have to adjust to moving to CO??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 09:53 PM

6,801 posts, read 10,429,567 times
I agree with you - I don't like how nearly all the new houses are too big.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 PM

718 posts, read 1,977,481 times
Typically in our area the listing data includes all square footage in the house, including unfinished basements. Most newer homes have unfinished basements. When you are seeing a 3000 square foot 2-story home listed, you are likely seeing a 2-story home that is 1000 square feet on the main level, 1000 on the second level, and has a 1000 square foot unfinished basement. The actual living space is only 2000 square feet.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weber View Post
Typically in our area the listing data includes all square footage in the house, including unfinished basements. Most newer homes have unfinished basements. When you are seeing a 3000 square foot 2-story home listed, you are likely seeing a 2-story home that is 1000 square feet on the main level, 1000 on the second level, and has a 1000 square foot unfinished basement. The actual living space is only 2000 square feet.
Ahhh, that is helpful to know. Right now I am just looking online, we haven't been out there to look yet, so that is reassuring. Thanks for the insight!

Old 09-14-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I agree with you - I don't like how nearly all the new houses are too big.
Agreed! Just too much wasted space, use too much energy to heat/cool it, filling it with "stuff" - I like a cozy house.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:00 AM

10,948 posts, read 6,991,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsLuvScience View Post
Right now I am just looking online, we haven't been out there to look yet
Make sure you visit first and get a reality check before getting to deep into your relocation plans. Boston and northern Colorado are two vastly different worlds. I can't see how anyone who likes one, would be able to like the other. Colorado is very dry and open (not wooded in any way) compared to Boston and the NE. The state, and especially small towns like Berthoud, have a strong western culture and attitude. You won't find anything familiar to the NE. Hopefully that wouldn't be a problem for you.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-14-2017 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 12:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,569 posts, read 57,493,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Make sure you visit first and get a reality check before getting to deep into your relocation plans. Boston and northern Colorado are two vastly different worlds. I can't see how anyone who likes one, would be able to like the other. Colorado is very dry and open (not wooded in any way) compared to Boston and the NE. The state, and especially small towns like Berthoud, have a strong western culture and attitude. You won't find anything familiar to the NE. Hopefully that wouldn't be a problem for you.
If in Berthoud (and seeking familiar homes / area w/ NE USA.. get a place next to the city park) older homes (lots of smaller ones too). My 1st Colorado home (very near Berthoud) was 680sf, payment was $128.84 so I thought I was gonna die broke ($1.65 / hr wages at the time). It is still there, and was For sale last I saw... It Had an AWESOME Rhubarb plant! (worth the investment)

Old 09-14-2017, 03:28 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,253,918 times
builders don't like to build small homes , there is more money to be made in the luxury home market. Let the less fortunate eat cake...

Old 09-14-2017, 06:27 PM

718 posts, read 1,977,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
builders don't like to build small homes , there is more money to be made in the luxury home market. Let the less fortunate eat cake...
Much of the reason for larger homes being built is due to the overhead component. Water and sewer tap fees and land costs do not typically vary by home size. Often, impact fees such as street over-sizing, utility connection fees, and development costs are based on a per-unit cost and not by the size of the unit. Therefore, the cost of constructing actual increase in size is a relatively marginal cost, but does make the average price per square foot appear more palatable.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Thanks for the concern. Yes, it is VERY different, which will be welcome to us in many ways. We have been to Colorado many times, but not specifically to Berthoud. The pace of life and expense of living in Boston is ridiculous, and takes forever to get to places where we can do the things we love to do (hiking, skiing, biking). We are looking forward to a slower pace, smaller town, and wide open spaces. Less humidity will be nice too! There are great things about Boston, the history and educational systems and beautiful fall - but we are ready for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area