Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 01:03 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times

Advertisements

I'm new to FC & need to have a filling & 2 crowns replaced. I found that out before relocating, at a dental cleaning/exam, but waited on the work as I was moving out of state too soon. I need to have nitrous oxide & be knocked out cold for dental work... not sedated, anesthetized.

Since I don't know anyone, I'm relegated to Yelp reviews... none of which are good for any dentist I can find locally. I do have a dentist I've seen before in Denver, who is good, but he's outrageously expensive, double what most charge. My recent estimate was $3,300 for the 2 crowns & filling... that was what it cost at the Denver dentist 7-yrs ago just for 1 crown & a cleaning, so I'm sure it will be double... I'll use him as a last resort.

I don't have any insurance, so was hoping to find a local dentist who offers nitrous & can make the crowns in-house, like the others.

Can anyone give me a referral? If you don't wish to do it on the thread, a DM would be great.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 03:33 PM

Default Correction...

Someone pointed out in a DM that I made a mistake in my post, so I wanted to clarify.

I need a dentist who uses anesthesia that knocks one out, not just something that only puts the patient in twilight sleep. I thought asking for nitrous was exactly that, but now I'm unsure... I just need to be unconscious for dental work.

Oh, & of course, I'm mainly looking for a dentist who is good enough that you'd make a referral to him/her.

Sorry about the confusion & thank you kindly for all the DM referrals!

Old 12-29-2018, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 719 times
I wouldn't recommend google because you never know with the SEO. Try family and friends otherwise I personally used opencare and you get to find local dentists in your area and read the reviews for yourself

[url=http://get.opencare.com/uber]Opencare[/url]

Old 12-29-2018, 10:15 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Many dentists have someone on call they can schedule for anesthesia work. I had gum grafts done under a general anesthetic and it was a nurse who specialized in that field. Cost me $700 for that but I was out like a light for the whole procedure of harvesting skin from the roof of my mouth and inserting it into the gums. I get wildly claustrophobic when any dentist approaches my mouth with a jaw spreader to keep my mouth pried open.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitious12 View Post
I wouldn't recommend google because you never know with the SEO. Try family and friends otherwise I personally used opencare and you get to find local dentists in your area and read the reviews for yourselfOpencare
I don't know what SEO is & obviously I have no local family/friends or I wouldn't have asked on a public forum. Opencare has TONS of scam reviews. I was asking for a name of a dentist someone has used & liked, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Many dentists have someone on call they can schedule for anesthesia work. I had gum grafts done under a general anesthetic and it was a nurse who specialized in that field. Cost me $700 for that but I was out like a light for the whole procedure of harvesting skin from the roof of my mouth and inserting it into the gums. I get wildly claustrophobic when any dentist approaches my mouth with a jaw spreader to keep my mouth pried open.
I understand, Mike. I have a former ex-bf who had similar surgery & he sent me to his Centennial dentist in 2013.

So, I've returned to a previous, outrageously $$$ but good dentist (2-hrs south... the aforementioned dentist), although it's a Mission Impossible type endeavor. Already went for the exam, paid the $4K for my upcoming crowns, fillings & cleaning on Jan 8 & got my drugs... turns out I wasn't given an IV before (I could have sworn I was), but he was the last dentist I saw for crowns/fillings & gave me a Valium to take the night before, then 3 Haldol for the day of... it was 5-yrs ago & my anxiety level is so high with dentists, I just didn't recall.

Since I'm comfy with him, although he charges about $1K more than local dentists. (I called 10 & none of them offered all I needed), I just decided to go with him. Fortunately, my ex-bf lives in Denver & has allowed me to stay at his house the day before, will take me to surgery & pick me up the day of, so I can rest the evening then return home 2-hrs north the following day.

I'm not looking forward to it & would rather toss $4K at anything else, other than teeth... but, at least he does good work. If anyone wants his name, DM me... I'm unsure if I can 'advertise' for him here.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:34 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
You'll be fine. My sedation was IV in the back of the left hand. Out like a light in seconds. Woke up feeling fine.

You'll do great, just remember this universal truth: In Espresso We Trust.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
You'll be fine. My sedation was IV in the back of the left hand. Out like a light in seconds. Woke up feeling fine.

I'd prefer an IV, but he uses Haldol... they feed you a pill every 15-min or so... in 45-min, you're out. I remember little of last time, but what I did like is after 4-hrs, I woke up & only felt as if I'd been there for 10-min. I'm always afraid I'll wake up in the middle while I'm being drilled... yikes.

Quote:
You'll do great, just remember this universal truth: In Espresso We Trust.

Hahaha, Mike. Indeed. Espresso is the sustenance of life, I'm sure of it.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:41 PM

12,981 posts, read 9,501,161 times
You may need propothol, which may also require an oral surgeon or an anesthesiologist. I've had it used many times before for shots in my back (spine) and you're totally out, even though they claim you're in twilight. It's good stuff. I also had it one time for extraction and it does the trick.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
You may need propothol, which may also require an oral surgeon or an anesthesiologist. I've had it used many times before for shots in my back (spine) and you're totally out, even though they claim you're in twilight. It's good stuff. I also had it one time for extraction and it does the trick.
The dr decides. It's not up to the patient.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:42 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Nitrous oxide, a.k.a. laughing gas, does NOT knock you out. It just makes you spacey and relaxed. I used to go to a Boulder dentist who frequently used it, if the patient agreed. It made the dental work less stressful but was not what I’d call necessary.

I don’t recall any other of my dentists using it, though some might have provided it upon request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area