Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 11:35 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
As far as young people go, they want to live in an area that has very nice salaries...…...like the Springs or Denver. Loveland, Windsor, Berthound, Longmont and even FC isn't going to offer the nice paying jobs these young "college educated" people want. At least that what we think.
That's not true at all. Lower salaries in Loveland, FC, etc. are no hindrance to the many young people moving here. They largely move based on image and culture, as those towns meet what they want (beer, bicycles, weed, young vibe, etc.) Being a college town and area doesn't hurt either.

No, they will continue to come, and do whatever they have to to pay bills. If they have to suffer with lower wages, and be degreed and working at fast-food joints, so be it. That's the reality. To some it might not be logical, but they're perfectly okay with it.

I'm not sure you really want to see matters clearly, based on your comments. You can't force a place into being something that exists in your mind.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-21-2019 at 11:47 AM..

Old 01-21-2019, 11:58 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
2019 Census data estimates the current population of Colorado is 5.7 million. That's a big increase from the 4.3 million reported in the 2000 Census. While a lot of these people live on the Front Range, they are not all living just in Denver and Colorado Springs. A lot of people are living further out, like in Loveland, Windsor, Berthoud, Longmont, etc. because they can't afford the high cost of housing in the big cities. And many of these incoming migrants (ooh, dare I use that word?) work remotely and can live anywhere they want.

So, Loveboating, your fields of corn and bales of hay might still exist out on the eastern plains, but they are rapidly disappearing anywhere close to the whole Ft. Collins to Pueblo megalopolis. Yes, the Stock Show will continue on, but it is also located in the midst of a rapidly growing big city. That's just reality.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:00 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That's not true at all. Lower salaries in Loveland, FC, etc. are no hindrance to the many young people moving here. They largely move based on image and culture, as those towns meet what they want (beer, bicycles, weed, young vibe, etc.) Being a college town and area doesn't hurt either.

No, they will continue to come, and do whatever they have to to pay bills. If they have to suffer with lower wages, and be degreed and working at fast-food joints, so be it. That's the reality. To some it might not be logical, but they're perfectly okay with it.

I'm not sure you really want to see matters clearly, based on your comments. You can't force a place into being something that exists in your mind.
We did talk to quite a number of Seniors in Loveland, but that was at at two places on the west end of Eisenhower Blvd, a few miles east of our hotel (La Quinta). Now, on the east end of the Blvd., we did see quite a number of young folks as we did at Boyd Lake. But, “Old Town Loveland” and east on Eisenhower Blvd. more, much more, of a Senior citizen area. Remember, we were just there last July.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:04 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Great points above Dreaming of Hawaii.

I could drive home the point further and point out the constant sight around Loveland and FC of conversion of farmland and fields to 3-story condos and McHardiplank neighborhoods. The latter are of higher value and need now, and there are certainly developers and eager landowners busily making deals.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:46 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,384,986 times
Whats amazing is this thread is 5 pages long.

For anyone wanting to live in the past, Pueblo has virtually the same population as it had in 1970. There are numerous retail places that have left the rest of the state that survive in Pueblo. The eastern part of Pueblo county is full of family farms, tractors, and equestrian activities. The parking lot of Pueblo County High smells like hay more often than not. Avondale in Pueblo County may be a great fit. Small, so small its not officially a town, agricultural in nature, inexpensive real estate, safe environs. Its 30 minutes to Lake Pueblo and 50 minutes to John Martin Reservoir. State Fair and rodeo is right up Highway 50 and numerous county fairs are east on 50. National Western and Estes Park are a couple hours up I25.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:44 PM

[quote=TCHP;54210454]Whats amazing is this thread is 5 pages long.

Agree

Old 01-21-2019, 03:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We don't mind some "change", and we've seen a lot more than "some change" where we currently live. But, take away the elk, fields of corn, tractors sitting around, round bales of hay laying around, cattle grazing and the rodeo action...……... THAT will be going too far. Fortunately, Colorado will never be all "big cities" and the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo will continue on, as well as other rodeos along the Front Range.

One thing is true, and very factual, not all of Colorado is changing. Simply drive thru part of Loveland going towards, and to, Carter Lake...…….no changes there.
I'm Big T 'alumni'.
I've taken that drive daily from 1960 - 1980, then monthly from 1980 - 2019. (and continuing.. were in 3 homes in that region last month)

"Take off the harness blinders"... LOTS has changed (Please come aware of that). I talk with new residents and lifelong seniors every month from that area, and it is not panacea. There are 10x the homes in rural area alone ( ZERO additional traffic improvements, except more stop signs and lights). Especially Carter Lake (where my mom built several homes) and many friends still live 'reluctantly'... due to the influx. Do some research and realize there were NO subdivisions west of Taft in 1960, except a couple enclaves near churches. Take a night flight and notice the lights! (Just departed DEN and flew to Laramie, then west, lights of rural homes visible from Snowy Range to COS.)

Be informed and prepared. Yesteryear... no longer evident in Front Range NoCo, Pride and drag queens have 'come-out'. Expect the NWS to reach it's demise in your lifetime. (Maybe, maybe not)

Haxtun, Grover, Herford, Briggsdale, Carr.. less change, still evident. Get as close as Nunn, and change is in your face. (Daily).

Even WY is significantly changed, but the advantage to live there is significant (If you are interested in more conservative leaning politics). There are NO majority voting populous regions that can take over the state electorate (as there are in many states, including CO). (3) counties control the entire 'will / legislature' of my current state (39 counties total).

As a result, we lose 350 businesses (employers) and farms (employers) annually due to immense costs and regulations. It is VERY costly and time consuming to move a farm. And decades (generations) of conservation / infrastructure / soils / orchards / crop rotations are lost. That can be the 'price of admission' of Drag Queens and others who may have a contrary view and vote of your enterprise... But U.S.A. is still a free country (temporarily).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-21-2019 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-21-2019, 04:32 PM

All I'm saying here is...…...the Loveland and FC area is very much different than where we live here in Florida. At first, a day or two after driving thru Loveland, we weren't as crazy about it as we thought we'd be, UNTIL we started thinking about where we currently live. The more we thought about it, the more we changed our mind about the Loveland area, especially the west end of Eisenhower Blvd as a person is heading into somewhat farm-land areas going towards Carter Lake.

Nothing is going to happen to the area, along I-25 going south from Eisenhower Blvd, where there is field after field of corn, tractors sitting, round bales of hay, some cattle grazing, etc...……….before we get there to live. Building does happen, but not THAT fast!
The Centennial Livestock Yard, on a Service Road by the I-25 in FC, isn't going to close down anytime soon. That livestock auction has been there for years.
Heck, there is an event in Loveland, called Loveland Days where there is a parade, carnival and indoor rodeo at The Ranch/Budweiser Center yearly. The Great Western Stock Show and Rodeo in Denver isn't going anywhere soon. The rodeo in Greeley isn't either. The elk aren't going to run out of RMNP and head up to Wyoming.

IOW, gentlemen, the area has changed and is changing, but is still much, much different than where we live. In fact, when we told some folks at a McDonalds on Eisenhower Blvd that we lived in Jacksonville, FL, the first thing they said to us was "why?".

Funny, but when we drove up to the western end of FC, by way of side streets off of the western end of Eisenhower Blvd., we seen many, many acres of open land...…….many!

Old 01-21-2019, 06:48 PM

Gentlemen?????????????????

I’m giving up on responding to the rest of your posts.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Gentlemen?????????????????

I’m giving up on responding to the rest of your posts.
That’s ok. Sorry I used the word “gentlemen”, especially if you are a woman.

However, what I said in my last reply is totally true. Some things have changed and other things are changing, but not the things I mentioned. As long as there are still elk in RMNP, corn fields, rodeo action and other things we seen there, we are happy. It will take a LONG TIME for those things to disappear! Thank God!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area