U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 02:06 PM

516 posts, read 869,684 times

Advertisements

I have lived all over the world and most of the United States, but I have not yet enjoyed the western mountians.

For back ground, lived in Hong Kong, Seattle, New York, Houston, and D.C. for the big cities and Fargo, Sioux Falls, Sioux City, for the mid sized cities and Orange Texas, Nacogdoches Texas and San Augustine Texas for the small towns. I liked towns the size of Fargo and smaller better, but found that towns without a Walmart or
movies theater to be a little difficult.

I have spent 3 months in Medford, but that was all hotel time and that is not the same as living there for years.

I will have a telephone interview in a few weeks for a job in Loveland. I also believe I will have an interview in Watertown South Dakota.

Loveland and Watertown will be the same job
with the same organization. Watertown will pay more and have a move
package. Loveland will have less travel and less overtime, and the wages will be 4 percent less.

My wife has migraines brought on by pressure changes and had a poor experience in Medford. (Even though Medford and Oregon are delightful places) As such we are a little leery of Loveland. On the
other hand, Watertown is near the center of the continent and has pretty significant pressure changes regularly. (We have tried to move to the equator and the coast but that is not happening so we must take what we can get. Not that I am broken hearted as I am
about done with heat and humidity)

I know South Dakota and the Midwesr as we have been there for 5 years. The people are great. What I do not know is the culture around Loveland.

Ideas? Thoughts?

I am thinking we may make a 4 day visit after Thanksgiving or maybe even after New Years. (Things
move slow sometimes)

Cheers
Qazulight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 07:21 AM

3,491 posts, read 2,609,763 times
Watertown is a micropolitan area with a combined population of over somewhere around 30k (estimating as I can't find any figures from the last decade on this). Loveland (at 66k) is part of the Fort Collins MSA with a combined population of nearly 300k. That is a pretty sizeable difference that will have an impact on travel anywhere in the area. I wouldn't necessarily call Fort Collins a small city as it is bigger than any of the mid-sized cities you listed and Loveland is surrounded by other small municipalities that create a fairly populated area all within the orbit of Fort Collins.

Fort Collins is dominated by CO State University and has a somewhat extensive arts, music, brewing, and numerous tech companies in the area. By CO standards, it also has a fair amount of water in the form of lakes, rivers and streams. Agriculture is still a dominate industry in the region as well.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Watertown is a micropolitan area with a combined population of over somewhere around 30k (estimating as I can't find any figures from the last decade on this). Loveland (at 66k) is part of the Fort Collins MSA with a combined population of nearly 300k. That is a pretty sizeable difference that will have an impact on travel anywhere in the area. I wouldn't necessarily call Fort Collins a small city as it is bigger than any of the mid-sized cities you listed and Loveland is surrounded by other small municipalities that create a fairly populated area all within the orbit of Fort Collins.

Fort Collins is dominated by CO State University and has a somewhat extensive arts, music, brewing, and numerous tech companies in the area. By CO standards, it also has a fair amount of water in the form of lakes, rivers and streams. Agriculture is still a dominate industry in the region as well.
Thanks,

We trade off simplicity and cash, for beauty and activities.

Seems about right. My wife is a photographer and like canoes. I like building them. A Makerspace would be a plus for us. The job is just off the Interstate near the airport so living in Fort Collins or one of the little suburbs shouldn’t be a problem.

I am thinking we will need to drive over and have a look. Sometimes it is the way people form up into a society that makes the difference. I found Fargo to be an excellent place to live. Even with the flat featureless landscape and weather that tried to kill you.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 10-09-2019, 12:30 PM

708 posts, read 1,768,923 times
I'm no weather expert, but I believe we get our share of pressure changes here, so it wouldn't hurt to research that further.

If your job is near the Ft. Collins / Loveland airport, you will be within easy distance of 3 or 4 Wal-Marts and several movie theaters.

You could live in Windsor, Wellington, Timnath, Berthoud, Drake, Masonville, Laporte, Bellvue, etc. and have the feel of a smaller town with the convenience of Fort Collins and Loveland amenities a short distance away.

Best of luck with your research!

-Mike

Old 10-10-2019, 01:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,210 posts, read 43,000,650 times
Age and kids?

SD offers income tax free state (if financially driven).
Watertown appears quite close to MN and all the water / canoe experiences of that area. (Loveland is quite limited in 'Canoe-exploration' places, as small irrigation lakes (where you can see the perimeter from one spot) and low flow (rocky) rivers don't really count. But... Southern Wy has some potentially nice canoe spots (2-6 hr drives).

I really like the friendliness and activities / access of Loveland (30 yrs living near there / Masonville / Estes Park), but it is NOT the Watertown 'midwest experience' (down-home).

I would research the atmospheric conditions of both (to best suit your DW), then pick the best career move. (most opportunity to learn and earn in prep for next move).

Both are essentially prairie homesite areas. (flat and brown)
Loveland offers mtns nearby + plenty of crowds doing the same. But many trails and a good arts scene. A benefit of Loveland is proximity to WY (for outdoor activity). And good lap swimming / hiking options. and many community interest groups.

Watertown is 4 hrs to MSP and 6 hrs to RC. That may be stretching it for most people on this NoCO forum. (They prefer Denver or Cheyenne within 1 hr). You can judge how important this is to you and your lifestyle / needs.

Do check out Benson Sculpture Park and Devil's Backbone hiking and Masonville living while doing your survey trip to Loveland.
http://www.cityofloveland.org/depart...reation-trails
https://www.larimer.org/naturalresources/parks

Old 10-13-2019, 12:37 PM

5,082 posts, read 4,813,906 times
Average home price in FC is almost 250% of Watertown. ($390 k vs. $160k)

The gap in what $300-400k buys might not be as big as this makes it seem but there is some significant difference in housing markets.
If you rent, the cost difference is a bit smaller but still almost 2-1 on average.

If you could be happy in Watertown, I'd pick it unless Fort Collins' appeal to you turns out super high.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-13-2019 at 12:54 PM..

Old 10-13-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Age and kids?

SD offers income tax free state (if financially driven).
Watertown appears quite close to MN and all the water / canoe experiences of that area. (Loveland is quite limited in 'Canoe-exploration' places, as small irrigation lakes (where you can see the perimeter from one spot) and low flow (rocky) rivers don't really count. But... Southern Wy has some potentially nice canoe spots (2-6 hr drives).

I really like the friendliness and activities / access of Loveland (30 yrs living near there / Masonville / Estes Park), but it is NOT the Watertown 'midwest experience' (down-home).

I would research the atmospheric conditions of both (to best suit your DW), then pick the best career move. (most opportunity to learn and earn in prep for next move).

Both are essentially prairie homesite areas. (flat and brown)
Loveland offers mtns nearby + plenty of crowds doing the same. But many trails and a good arts scene. A benefit of Loveland is proximity to WY (for outdoor activity). And good lap swimming / hiking options. and many community interest groups.

Watertown is 4 hrs to MSP and 6 hrs to RC. That may be stretching it for most people on this NoCO forum. (They prefer Denver or Cheyenne within 1 hr). You can judge how important this is to you and your lifestyle / needs.

Do check out Benson Sculpture Park and Devil's Backbone hiking and Masonville living while doing your survey trip to Loveland.
Loveland Trails | City of Loveland
https://www.larimer.org/naturalresources/parks
We are at careers end. 48 months and we are either going to start building boats and take up quilting, or get an RV and clean camp sites at Yellowstone (or both)

The only kid that matters is the only Grand Child that lives near Des Moines.

Watertown is looking better and better.

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 10-14-2019, 10:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,210 posts, read 43,000,650 times
Congrats on Career sunset yrs. BTDT. (3x).
SD would be a good start to the No State Income Tax retirement domicile plan, looks like you have had plenty of stays there. (As you know, many FT RV'rs continue to domicile in SD since it only requires one overnight / lifetime to be a FT resident.)

Hang onto any LT career benefits, and fully enjoy the paid vacation of employment yrs. We are FIRE and shoe-stringing until medicare age. We do a lot of travel, including international for medical care pre age 65. And keep income props and personal use cabins near San Antonio and Loveland for travel and weather convenience. Our WA domicile is 20 min from PDX, which is a benefit during the 'air-travel season' of retirement. When I decide to stay in USA, I would like to join you in YNP, but my preference is to winter there. (drive a snow coach / play music in lodges). I had a college age trucking route that took me Denver to YNP 3x / week, and still frequently go to Tetons. (And will head to WY Pioneer Home when / if we need SNF care.)

For wooden boats and quilting... we have interests in both and just last week were at the oldest continuous wooden boat shop in USA (NH). We stayed in the guest home of 30 yr participants there, so got lots of history. https://lowellsboatshop.com/

Also live reasonably near Pt Townsend, WA. https://nwmaritime.org/

Both are wooden boat and quilting centric and income tax free states, so are domicile potential as well.

Best wishes for "Finishing Well".

BTW: Loveland is a really nice active retirement destination, You might want to give it a try for a future season. There are a few decent RV parks nearby, here is a good one for short stays. https://www.reserveamerica.com/explo...10103/overview

Old 10-16-2019, 06:42 AM

7,677 posts, read 2,252,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
I have lived all over the world and most of the United States, but I have not yet enjoyed the western mountians.

For back ground, lived in Hong Kong, Seattle, New York, Houston, and D.C. for the big cities and Fargo, Sioux Falls, Sioux City, for the mid sized cities and Orange Texas, Nacogdoches Texas and San Augustine Texas for the small towns. I liked towns the size of Fargo and smaller better, but found that towns without a Walmart or
movies theater to be a little difficult.

I have spent 3 months in Medford, but that was all hotel time and that is not the same as living there for years.

I will have a telephone interview in a few weeks for a job in Loveland. I also believe I will have an interview in Watertown South Dakota.

Loveland and Watertown will be the same job
with the same organization. Watertown will pay more and have a move
package. Loveland will have less travel and less overtime, and the wages will be 4 percent less.

My wife has migraines brought on by pressure changes and had a poor experience in Medford. (Even though Medford and Oregon are delightful places) As such we are a little leery of Loveland. On the
other hand, Watertown is near the center of the continent and has pretty significant pressure changes regularly. (We have tried to move to the equator and the coast but that is not happening so we must take what we can get. Not that I am broken hearted as I am
about done with heat and humidity)

I know South Dakota and the Midwesr as we have been there for 5 years. The people are great. What I do not know is the culture around Loveland.

Ideas? Thoughts?

I am thinking we may make a 4 day visit after Thanksgiving or maybe even after New Years. (Things
move slow sometimes)

Cheers
Qazulight
We live in Loveland and find it a great place to live. It's conveniently located close to Ft Collins, to Boulder, RMNP and other great hiking options and just an hour to Denver or to the airport. The culture is similar to the rest of the Front Range urban corridor - heavy on outdoor activities, beer, and nice people. The poverty level and unemployment rate are low. One rarely sees the kind of poverty in Colorado that other parts of the country experience, except for the extreme southern part near the New Mexico state line.

The weather and climate are some of the best in the country with only a few bitterly cold days a winter and only a few weeks of really hot weather in the summer. One hardly ever has to use the AC (get a house with a whole house fan), and with the low humidity and few bugs, life is very comfortable. I generally wear shorts and short sleeves at some point in each month of the year. No amount of money could entice me to live in a humid place again.

Much of the newer parts of town and Colorado as a whole are growing rapidly, which brings the usual bland housing, more feeder highways, strip malls, etc, but that is becoming hard to escape anywhere in the country, as most people don't seem to notice what's wrong with that.

The west end of Old Town is the best area to live in town and also west of town heading towards the foothills is nice. Downtown is continually being reinvigorated, with some nice restaurants, unique stores, a new dine-in theater, and several breweries.

I believe, however, that the pressure changes are probably extreme, but I'm not sure. You can probably find that information somewhere online.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:20 PM

5,894 posts, read 2,766,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
...The weather and climate are some of the best in the country with only a few bitterly cold days a winter and only a few weeks of really hot weather in the summer. One hardly ever has to use the AC
Not really. There are many bitterly cold days across Jan-March. Lots of 80s-90s hot days June-Sept., when AC usage is needed, unless you're at high altitude in the mountains (not the norm), under shaded trees (not that common in most populated areas), live in one of those below-ground dwellings (especially rare), or are into the uber-macho-I'm-hot-but-will-inwardly-suffer-outwardly-smile way of some. I for one am not afraid to state how things are. There is no image or sacred cow that needs to be stoked/maintained in my book.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-17-2019 at 05:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area