U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 04:33 PM

97 posts, read 42,489 times

Advertisements

How feasible is a regular week-day commute from Loveland to Longmont, both in terms of winter travel as well as year-round traffic? I might have an employment opportunity in Longmont but for various reasons I am more drawn towards a place like Loveland as far as finding a residence. I would prefer to avoid long commute times (25-35 minutes is the range I'd prefer to stick to) but I am pretty set about not living in Longmont proper. I am coming from the Los Angeles area so that is my reference for traffic conditions and total lack of experience with any serious weather conditions that don't involve gargantuan flames. Thank you for your opinions and anecdotes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 05:00 PM

7,722 posts, read 2,348,642 times
Traveling from Loveland to Longmont on 287 is a breeze and would take between 20-30 minutes. If you want to live in Loveland, you should look on the western side, then you can cut down Taft and hit 287 near Berthoud. I would also look at Berthoud for living - a very neat little community.

We moved to the area from Los Angeles too, and traffic will be nothing compared to LA. The highways are cleared quickly, but you would have a handful of days when you would experience bad weather and need to just drive very slowly - those are the exception rather than the rule, however.

If you also have additional questions about Loveland, I'm happy to assist. We live in western Loveland.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
If you also have additional questions about Loveland, I'm happy to assist. We live in western Loveland.
Thank you for this feedback! I actually might have several questions. First, I would be making the move in my early twenties as a recent college graduate. I am not looking for urban, go-out drinking every night, party and night-life living. I am big-into outdoor sporting, fly fishing, want to get into hunting, etc. I also want to live in a place that is more politically balanced than where I am coming from, this is one of the reasons I think the Loveland area might be preferable for me culturally than Longmont.

On the other hand, I don't want to be the only young person living among a bunch of middle-aged parents, families, retirees, etc. For one thing I am single and so opportunities to meet and interact with people in my age range is important. Again I'm addressing that concern in terms of serious dating, not casual, night-clubbing sort of stuff. I am not seeking out a college town, just somewhere where I won't be the only person my age is what I'm driving at.

In light of these concerns, do you think Loveland would be a good choice? Is there a subculture of fishing and such in the area? There are other places I might also have employment prospects so I am trying to do some comparative research. Thank you for offering to answer my questions by the way, you're perspective is valuable to me especially given your origins.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealheadrun23 View Post
Thank you for this feedback! I actually might have several questions. First, I would be making the move in my early twenties as a recent college graduate. I am not looking for urban, go-out drinking every night, party and night-life living. I am big-into outdoor sporting, fly fishing, want to get into hunting, etc. I also want to live in a place that is more politically balanced than where I am coming from, this is one of the reasons I think the Loveland area might be preferable for me culturally than Longmont.

On the other hand, I don't want to be the only young person living among a bunch of middle-aged parents, families, retirees, etc. For one thing I am single and so opportunities to meet and interact with people in my age range is important. Again I'm addressing that concern in terms of serious dating, not casual, night-clubbing sort of stuff. I am not seeking out a college town, just somewhere where I won't be the only person my age is what I'm driving at.

In light of these concerns, do you think Loveland would be a good choice? Is there a subculture of fishing and such in the area? There are other places I might also have employment prospects so I am trying to do some comparative research. Thank you for offering to answer my questions by the way, you're perspective is valuable to me especially given your origins.
Loveland is an 'older city' in some ways, with the median age being 40 vs 29 in Fort Collins, for example, but there are, of course, people of all ages. We are 40 and 34 and we are the youngest people in our neighborhood. The people in our area are not old geezers, sitting around, but young at heart people in their 50s-70s or older. I'm sure there are many younger people in the newer, more suburban tract housing type areas going up, but I have no clue.

Downtown Loveland has a lot going on, but I wouldn't call it a party scene by any means. Several breweries, themed bars, a new dine-in movie theater, lots of newishs shops and restraurants and so on. Of course, the same can be said of Fort Collins and Longmont, even more so.

With Fort Collins being just a hop, skip and a jump away, you'd have no problem meeting people your own age, I would say. The towns of Longmont, Loveland, and Fort Collins are quite close together and it doesn't take as long to get from one to the next, as say from Venice to DTLA.

Larimer County and Loveland, in particular, is more politically balanced, with about 1/3 Democrat, 1/3 Republican and 1/3 Independent. You do not see people pushing their views on others and people get along regardless of political orientation, not wearing their politics on their sleeves.

Loveland is nicely positioned for outdoor activities, including of course, RMNP and Estes Park, Poudre Canyon and Red Feathers for more remote camping, fishing, hiking, etc and also easy to get to the areas above Boulder, such as Indian Peaks Wilderness.

I would think with the closeness of bigger scenes, but with the bit of a slower pace in Loveland, it might be what you want, but you would need to visit first, obviously. If living in an established neighborhood, with mature trees, older houses, and friendly people is what you want, any of the towns up and down the northern Front Range would work. There isn't really a huge difference between them, other than Boulder, and as I'd said, they are all almost one big town the way they're strung along (with open spaces between).

Old 11-09-2019, 07:21 PM

6,190 posts, read 2,913,409 times
Quote:
How feasible is a regular week-day commute from Loveland to Longmont, both in terms of winter travel as well as year-round traffic? I might have an employment opportunity in Longmont but for various reasons I am more drawn towards a place like Loveland as far as finding a residence. I am coming from the Los Angeles area...
That drive would be a piece of cake most of the time. On icy days, it might be a bit tricky. It's open to winds, and there are some sloping roadways that can ice up.

A bigger question is why there, coming from LA. There's very little culture or interesting things to do. Maybe you're in the retirement phase though, and ready to slow way down.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Downtown Loveland has a lot going on, but I wouldn't call it a party scene by any means. Several breweries, themed bars, a new dine-in movie theater, lots of newishs shops and restraurants and so on. Of course, the same can be said of Fort Collins and Longmont, even more so.
I've heard good things about the breweries in n.w. CO. These are things I think I would enjoy.

Quote:
With Fort Collins being just a hop, skip and a jump away, you'd have no problem meeting people your own age, I would say. The towns of Longmont, Loveland, and Fort Collins are quite close together and it doesn't take as long to get from one to the next,
Again, this is me speaking from no experience about driving in bad winter weather, but it is feasible to travel between these places even in the dead of winter? Harsher winters and snow are things I am going to have to learn to live with regardless of where I move, because I plan on leaving where I'm at and I'm not a fan of humidity to say the least. Did you find it difficult to acclimate to winter conditions given where you moved from?

Quote:
Loveland is nicely positioned for outdoor activities, including of course, RMNP and Estes Park, Poudre Canyon and Red Feathers for more remote camping, fishing, hiking, etc and also easy to get to the areas above Boulder, such as Indian Peaks Wilderness.
I've wanted to visit Rocky Mountain National Park for some time. I got a chance to hike the Sawtooths near Stanley, ID and that was fantastic. The Gran Tetons are great as well.

Quote:
I would think with the closeness of bigger scenes, but with the bit of a slower pace in Loveland, it might be what you want, but you would need to visit first, obviously. If living in an established neighborhood, with mature trees, older houses, and friendly people is what you want, any of the towns up and down the northern Front Range would work. There isn't really a huge difference between them, other than Boulder, and as I'd said, they are all almost one big town the way they're strung along (with open spaces between).
I might be looking at renting for a while. I think I would also feel out of place depending on how small the town was (10,000+ would probably be better for me). I will consider Loveland more seriously. Hopefully I will have a chance to visit the area in the near future. I had a chance to live in another place I am also looking at, which was extraordinarily useful, but while I was there several people told my I might also really like the northern CO area. Thanks again for your input!

Old 11-09-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That drive would be a piece of cake most of the time. On icy days, it might be a bit tricky. It's open to winds, and there are some sloping roadways that can ice up.
Does 4 wheel drive help at all with icy roads or is there really no easy fix to that one?

Quote:
A bigger question is why there, coming from LA. There's very little culture or interesting things to do. Maybe you're in the retirement phase though, and ready to slow way down.
I don't want to get into the gritty details because they are not the point of this thread, but to put it simply I am strongly at odds with the culture and values of where I live and being young I want to take advantage of opportunities to find something more fitting for me. Also just to clarify, I am not in L.A. proper, but the above still applies. I would say in general the "mountain states" have much more to offer in terms of my interests.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I've heard good things about the breweries in n.w. CO. These are things I think I would enjoy.

Lots of great breweries all over the state. Beer is a big part of the culture for many.

Again, this is me speaking from no experience about driving in bad winter weather, but it is feasible to travel between these places even in the dead of winter? Harsher winters and snow are things I am going to have to learn to live with regardless of where I move, because I plan on leaving where I'm at and I'm not a fan of humidity to say the least. Did you find it difficult to acclimate to winter conditions given where you moved from?

The weather along the Front Range Urban Corridor is very mild with very few terrible winter days - only a handful of bitterly cold days with really bad roads. 95% of the time, there is no snow or issues with traveling, so I would not count that as a serious factor one way or the other.

I've wanted to visit Rocky Mountain National Park for some time. I got a chance to hike the Sawtooths near Stanley, ID and that was fantastic. The Gran Tetons are great as well.

Many gorgeous places to hike and enjoy the outdoors as well. RMNP not being one of my favorites simply because of the number of tourists, but still some great spots within the park.

I might be looking at renting for a while. I think I would also feel out of place depending on how small the town was (10,000+ would probably be better for me). I will consider Loveland more seriously. Hopefully I will have a chance to visit the area in the near future. I had a chance to live in another place I am also looking at, which was extraordinarily useful, but while I was there several people told my I might also really like the northern CO area. Thanks again for your input!
Larimer County has 340,000 and Loveland itself is pushing 80,000. The area is very vibrant economically and a good mix of urban conveniences with small-town features. One hour to Denver and the airport. We love NOCO. Like you said, you'll have to visit and spend some time before you know if it's what you're looking for.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:25 PM

6,190 posts, read 2,913,409 times
But what do you like to do steelheadrun23? What are the hobbies and interests that you've traditionally had, both in a city/suburban sense, and a rural sense?

I'd worry less about the weather (though it does get very naturally dead and dormant for many months, and quite cold at times) and think more of cultural and landscape differences. You asked about a "subculture of fishing", but I see very little of that. It's mostly a culture of beer and hiking. It's a simple mix of interests. You may miss the multitude of possibilities of your LA and CA region. The lack of diversity extends to many levels in this area.

Ultimately, you need to visit and take a good hard look. Not take anyone's word, or anyone's PR. See for yourself, up close, and thinking about it terms that mean something to you. No one can live or advise on another's life. We're all different, with different backgrounds and interests. I know I'd never make any promises of liking or loving it here, or anywhere else.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
But what do you like to do steelheadrun23? What are the hobbies and interests that you've traditionally had, both in a city/suburban sense, and a rural sense?

I'd worry less about the weather (though it does get very naturally dead and dormant for many months, and quite cold at times) and think more of cultural and landscape differences.
"I am big-into outdoor sporting, fly fishing, want to get into hunting, etc. I also want to live in a place that is more politically balanced than where I am coming from, this is one of the reasons I think the Loveland area might be preferable for me culturally than Longmont." steelheadrun23
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area