Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 12:13 PM

1,204 posts, read 764,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschlegel View Post
We are recently retired, conservative Christians who are considering relocating to Loveland to be near RMNP, Denver, and Yellowstone. We lived in Denver for a year back in 2000 and have briefly visited Loveland on our way to RMNP. How happy would we be there? How bad are the hailstorm, floods and fires there?

With so many questions like this in this forum, one would think that somehow this group is really struggling because... progressives are telling them who to love, are choosing which bathroom to go to, and are telling them what to do with their bodies.... also they have these camps where Conservative Christians are sent and healed through therapy. Yeah, that's what they are worried about. Poor souls.

Don't worry, rural America is still all yours regardless where you are - Florida, NY or California. You'll fit right in.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:17 PM

3,959 posts, read 4,332,477 times
Loveland has grown by 32% from 2000-2010. This may slow down a bit for 2010-2020 to only 20% Since the birth rate for Loveland is only 4%, the rest of those people would have to be transplants. They certainly could be in state transplants with all the tech work in that part of the state. Ft Collins and Loveland have scored well in numerous quality of life polls and surveys.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:37 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,712,075 times
For pete's sake stop it with the 'growth' crap, just about every city has grown, and blaming everything on California should be listed in the DSM-4 as a psychological matter. Good grief.

There are religious conservatives everywhere, there might be a few less in towns like Loveland that are near college / high tech cities like Fort Collins and Boulder which are full of young people attending university. There's a higher concentration of religious conservatives in Douglas and El Paso Counties, on the other side of Denver.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 20,251,547 times
Well, have to agree with Mike from back east about blaming transplants from California for everything. Although, before we moved from Parker, and out of Colorado in later 2007, we sure seen a lot of California license plates around. Almost shocking at how many.

But, when shopping at Walmart east (Denver St.) have seen plates from Alabama, Arkansas, Texas and even a few from Florida. As for us, we got rid of our Florida plate within a month of being here. We got tired of some folks asking us about the Florida plate! We didn't want to be associated with Florida anymore anyway. LOL

A lot of the "Old-Timers"/Seniors here just miss the "old Loveland", when they first bought there house. Actually, wife and I can understand that feeling.

Again, I feel that the OP would be fine living here.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,565 posts, read 57,481,475 times
Whose blaming CA for EVERYTHING? We all came from somewhere.
People migrate to desirable places. Those who worked for generations to make it a desirable location are displaced (Look at Hong Kong (or Dubai) TODAY!

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/01/0...ple-moving-in/
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...le-moving.html

CA just allowed the artificially gained equity to overflow in the USA to create a housing cost crisis. (They have Prop 13, so their homes are protected)

They could have easily spared the pain to millions losing your home to taxes by requiring keeping the equity invested in CA. Everyone would be better off today, especially those with properties in CA!

Increased valuation is nothing but additional upkeep (wages to maint), after all, we usually build our homes brick by brick to LIVE in not to resell, so who cares if it is $1k or $10m, it is just more to pay in taxes or to replace / insure.

Loveland has a demographic that make is very attractive to families and to active seniors, so... unmistakably has been in the high growth band for decades. (and will continue as long as there is space (and water) available)

EP is another great alternative for OP. Very nice to have the Y and related activities and ministries available (year round). Weather is slightly harsher, winter winds a LOT harsher. Very active senior groups and events and volunteer opportunities. Many Christian outreaches / organizations there. Covid may curtail the prop values brought on by Air B&B. Buy a spot suitable for a guest home / qtrs and you will be golden for your golden yrs.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:08 PM

8,882 posts, read 20,251,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Whose blaming CA for EVERYTHING? We all came from somewhere.
People migrate to desirable places. Those who worked for generations to make it a desirable location are displaced (Look at Hong Kong (or Dubai) TODAY!

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/01/0...ple-moving-in/
https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...le-moving.html

CA just allowed the artificially gained equity to overflow in the USA to create a housing cost crisis. (They have Prop 13, so their homes are protected)

They could have easily spared the pain to millions losing your home to taxes by requiring keeping the equity invested in CA. Everyone would be better off today, especially those with properties in CA!

Increased valuation is nothing but additional upkeep (wages to maint), after all, we usually build our homes brick by brick to LIVE in not to resell, so who cares if it is $1k or $10m, it is just more to pay in taxes or to replace / insure.

Loveland has a demographic that make is very attractive to families and to active seniors, so... unmistakably has been in the high growth band for decades. (and will continue as long as there is space (and water) available)

EP is another great alternative for OP. Very nice to have the Y and related activities and ministries available (year round). Weather is slightly harsher, winter winds a LOT harsher. Very active senior groups and events and volunteer opportunities. Many Christian outreaches / organizations there. Covid may curtail the prop values brought on by Air B&B. Buy a spot suitable for a guest home / qtrs and you will be golden for your golden yrs.
And, just what kind of "demographic" is that? That it is 97% White? Funny, when we lived in Parker, a co-worker told me that she'd never live there since the town was so "White".

You don't even want to know what folks in the South would think of Loveland. 99% of them absolutely love diversity in a population.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:21 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,344,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Just because there are Seniors who don't necessarily like some things that have happened to Loveland, sure don't make them "bigots".

Since we've moved here, we've talked to Seniors who have expressed their dislike about how the city is now, compared to years ago. There are some that simply don't like the word "progress". We don't have a problem going to The Promenade Shops at Centerra Shopping Center, but they sure do.

I don't think the OP would have any problems living in Loveland.
Using the term 'conservative Christian' is code for bigotry. There are plenty of seniors who do not identify themselves as such, and many who are actual Christians as opposed to the fake type whose personal philosophy has nothing to do with the teaching of Christ.

One will find these fake Christians everywhere, but the OP will fit in better in some town on the eastern plains where there is zero growth and 'traditional' ways are more practiced.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,565 posts, read 57,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
... the OP will fit in better in some town on the eastern plains where there is zero growth and 'traditional' ways are more practiced.
Please explain how you arrived at this conclusion? Certainly not from the OP's question.
(Haxtun / Wray was home for me for awhile, Loveland / Masonville for a longer while)

Just curious, as I am missing some context. I don't see anything pointing to this comment in the OP posts from the past 3 yrs.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:06 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,344,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Please explain how you arrived at this conclusion? Certainly not from the OP's question.
(Haxtun / Wray was home for me for awhile, Loveland / Masonville for a longer while)

Just curious, as I am missing some context. I don't see anything pointing to this comment in the OP posts from the past 3 yrs.
The term 'Christian conservative' tells me they would be better suited to a place where no change occurs, so they are not forced to see people who are different from them.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:00 AM

1,204 posts, read 764,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
And, just what kind of "demographic" is that? That it is 97% White? Funny, when we lived in Parker, a co-worker told me that she'd never live there since the town was so "White".

You don't even want to know what folks in the South would think of Loveland. 99% of them absolutely love diversity in a population.

What would they think about it? South isn't monolith. I live in the South right now and it's more diverse than any part of Colorado. I used to be the only non-white person in my job in both Boulder AND Denver. Now I walk into the room and do not feel like a token... I work with Black women who have PhD, MD after their names, and actually hold power as either chiefs of medicine or the dean of school.

Instead of analyzing themselves, people like to put down a region (South) or people (poor people, "white trash") -- so that they feel better about themselves. Don't compare yourself to some other "lesser" place, do your best to be an anti-racist, pro-diversity person. Just feeling good about yourself because "South" is worse isn't going to make anyone any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area