Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:35 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,033 times

Advertisements

I haven't found much animosity towards Californians and I'm a stereotypical CA type with the Mercedes/BMW's and all that. It's very refreshing to be in a town (FC) where I can go for days at a time without hearing one word of Spanish. Being in CA during the Mexican invasion was very depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 12:56 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
K9, I don't really think there is "hate" towards Californians, I prefer Californians to New Yorkers anyday, though we do have more Californian transplants that's for sure. Colorado generally has a strong "live and let live" attitude, consider the fact that around 55% of the state is out-of-staters, us "Native-Coloradans" are actually a minority. However my personal opinion is move to somewhere that makes you happy, if that's Colorado then so be it, but not to get away from some social condition, that might cause some frustrations. One of which you listed illegal immigration, Denver and Boulder are as much sanctuary cities as San Francisco, Colorado herself is a new hotbed for illegal immigration most of which I have noticed are also coming in by way from either Texas or California. In my personal opinion, Fort Collins is not without the same problems that Denver/Boulder faces or the rest of the country, but is still a great place to live and as for investment, a solid one for the next 10-20 years.

Interactive Map: A Nation of Illegal Immigrants

Old 10-07-2008, 01:36 PM

18 posts, read 58,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
K9, I don't really think there is "hate" towards Californians, I prefer Californians to New Yorkers anyday, though we do have more Californian transplants that's for sure.
I urge you and others to keep an open mind about New Yorkers. Like Colorado (though perhaps more so), NY is a state of flux. Yes, there are a lot of born and bred NY'ers (and there is nothing wrong with them either), but most of the people I meet in NY are from somewhere else. The fact that people are from so many differing areas brings the wonderful diversity, culture and education that NY is known for.

We're moving to Fort Collins very soon. I'm originally from NY, was raised in FL and returned to NY where I've lived for the past 7 years to finish college and start my career.

My SO was born and raised in Phoenix and has lived in NY for the past 8 years.

We're really looking forward to living in Fort Collins. I truly hope we don't encounter prejudice when we say we're from NY.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:08 PM

94 posts, read 491,890 times
I've relocated from Long Beach, Ca to Fort Collins recently and haven't encountered any negativity about being a transplant. As stated earlier there are plenty of Hispanics but nothing like southern California. Now on that note, I find Fort Collins to be a little bland....being that 85% of the population here is white. I'm not talking trash, I just miss the diversity.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:33 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada1427 View Post
I've relocated from Long Beach, Ca to Fort Collins recently and haven't encountered any negativity about being a transplant. As stated earlier there are plenty of Hispanics but nothing like southern California. Now on that note, I find Fort Collins to be a little bland....being that 85% of the population here is white. I'm not talking trash, I just miss the diversity.
Neighboring Greeley has a much higher hispanic population. Ft C has always been pretty much white bread, all the way back to its deep agricultural roots.
Now, you must have been a good transplant and changed your license plates pronto!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:47 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
Anyone wishing to move to Colorado because they think that people, or life in genral, will be significantly better, will likely be disappointed:

Good reasons for moving to Colorado:
1) Because you have family or close friends here
2) Because you love the mountains, the snow and the seasons
3) Because you have found a good job and a decent place to live here.

Bad (or false) reasons for moving to Colorado:
1) Because everyone thinks like you and you can be friends with everyone.
2) Because we have no traffic, crime or sprawl.
3) Because we have no major social issues to deal with.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:00 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Anyone wishing to move to Colorado because they think that people, or life in genral, will be significantly better, will likely be disappointed:

Good reasons for moving to Colorado:
1) Because you have family or close friends here
2) Because you love the mountains, the snow and the seasons
3) Because you have found a good job and a decent place to live here.

Bad (or false) reasons for moving to Colorado:
1) Because everyone thinks like you and you can be friends with everyone.
2) Because we have no traffic, crime or sprawl.
3) Because we have no major social issues to deal with.
I have to agree with every single one of those.

In my case, only #2 in the good column applied to me. #3, came after being here a few months.

The bad column is so true! People are people everywhere. In my experience, (#1) I made the most friends in a CA small town I hated and that I thought was ass-backwards.

#2, and #3 exist only in narrow-minded folks' dreams.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:08 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyerishBD View Post
I urge you and others to keep an open mind about New Yorkers. Like Colorado (though perhaps more so), NY is a state of flux. Yes, there are a lot of born and bred NY'ers (and there is nothing wrong with them either), but most of the people I meet in NY are from somewhere else. The fact that people are from so many differing areas brings the wonderful diversity, culture and education that NY is known for.

We're moving to Fort Collins very soon. I'm originally from NY, was raised in FL and returned to NY where I've lived for the past 7 years to finish college and start my career.

My SO was born and raised in Phoenix and has lived in NY for the past 8 years.

We're really looking forward to living in Fort Collins. I truly hope we don't encounter prejudice when we say we're from NY.
I feel ya and my apologies if I have offend you, as for prejudice, Colorado has one of the most "live and let live" attitude so rest assurred you will do just fine no matter where you come from. I can care less where you come from if you are a good neighbor you are a good neighbor simple as that. But matter of fact ... is there a reason for the move to Colorado? And what makes Colorado better than NY in your perspective? There's ought to be a reason for that. And I just want people to think ... Perhaps it's the differences that makes NY attractive to some and Colorado attractive to others. And as Colorado welcomes you, I also hope that you welcome the changes including becoming a New Yorker planted in Colorado and not merely a transplant from New York. I hope you understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area