U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:08 PM

55 posts, read 206,635 times

Advertisements

Hi...thanks in advance for all relplies!

My husband and I are looking into relocating and started our search in New England. Though we're still seriously considering that area we feel we need to check out CO before making any decisions. My husband has visited before and loves it; I've never been but have never spoken to anyone who has either lived there or visited and didn't love it. I'd love to get a few questions answered if possible.

First of all, we live in Nashville, TN - a very nice town but too big with too much urban sprawl for me. So...is there a lot of urban sprawl in the Boulder and/or Ft Collins areas?

We have a 2 year old and are seeking a safe community with good schools. I realize the crime stats for Boulder are a bit high and what I've read says that the university skews that - in general, is Boulder a safe place to live? Does it feel safe downtown? Would I be uncomfortable walking around alone - with my child - there?

How are the schools in Boulder/Ft. Collins? Any to steer clear of?

One of our main reasons for looking in New England was to be near the coast - I grew up on the coast in FL. So, obviously CO would be lacking that, but is there any water near these areas? Water for kayaking, swimming or just playing near? What would be the best towns to be near water?

Any towns that I'm overlooking and should consider? Towns that are small to medium sized, with a town center, safe, good schools, maybe some water nearby?

Okay, guess that's more than enough for now. Don't want to turn people off before getting started! : ) Thanks again for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2006, 11:59 PM

8,670 posts, read 19,322,178 times
Boulder has a no growth policy, surrounded on two side by foothills, and the other two suburbia. Boulder has a reservoir.

Ft Collins is a small town with more lakes.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 20,934 times
Boulder is the safest town I've ever lived in. I went jogging at 1AM without the slightest sence of insecurity.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:11 PM

27 posts, read 77,410 times
I am from Chicago (a flatlander) and was very impressed by the Horsetooth reservoir just outside Fort Collins. It does not compare to the ocean or the Great Lakes of the Midwest but it is very impressive with the foothills surrounding it. There was an inlet bay with many boats docked. We were there(wife and I) Memorial Weekend(2006) and it was very peaceful. I would also be interested in seeing it during peak season to see if it was a madhouse with boats and skiers everywhere. If anyone could add to this it would hlp both of us. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 AM

2,755 posts, read 8,688,003 times
Default sprawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4acadia View Post
First of all, we live in Nashville, TN - a very nice town but too big with too much urban sprawl for me. So...is there a lot of urban sprawl in the Boulder and/or Ft Collins areas?
Fort Collins and Boulder are both great towns, and both of them have very strong policies to control growth and sprawl (Boulder more so). Their efforts have created some great livable communities.

BUT... I'm sorry to say that surrounding communities to both of them are not so enlightened in their sprawl fighting power. The worst offender of all is Weld County, which borders both Boulder County and Larimer County (Fort Collins), on its eastern side.

The amount of sprawl in the I-25 corridor between Denver and Fort Collins has exploded, and since Weld County actively encourages and subsidizes sprawl, this problem will likely get worse and worse every year throughout our lifetimes. This despite the collapse in the housing market in Weld County due to overbuilding.

What this means is that although the immediate area around Fort Collins and Boulder may have some community separators as a moat, there will be likely an ocean of sprawl all the way for miles just to the east.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 PM

55 posts, read 206,635 times
Default Heading to CO

Thanks to all for your input! It looks like we'll be heading to Boulder, probably around late Feb/early March. We loved both areas but Boulder had the compact feel we like and the mountains are, of course, beautiful. Plus, it turns out my brother accepted a job offer in Longmont...so it's a family convoy now! We're very excited, and appreciate all the input we've received.

Good luck to all.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:18 PM

929 posts, read 1,088,265 times
Default Fort Collins vs. Boulder?

Which one would you choose and why?

I did a cursory search in both Boulder and Ft. Collins forums and strangely could not find a thread on this!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:42 PM

585 posts, read 1,467,120 times
Fort Collins. Real estate is more affordable, more down to earth, and I like the downtown area better.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:56 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,513,619 times
Um, I think your search was a little too cursory. Try again.

Also, as Charles would say, you need to give us more information about yourself and what you are looking for in a place.

(Charles? Yeah, that guy that spent all his days and nights talking up Colorado and then upped and moved to...Alabama.)

Old 11-17-2008, 10:08 AM

2,755 posts, read 8,688,003 times
Boulder is more scenic, more to the left politically, MUCH wealthier, and has a bigger-name university. It's also closer to Denver. On the downside, it's expensive, arguably pretentious, and CU is also famous for torching living-room furniture and related activities.

Fort Collins is more of a conventional town, though its consistently rated high for quality of life. It's more middle of the road politically, solidly middle class, not too expensive, with an underrated university (CSU). It is also farther from Denver, and enjoys several less crowded access points for mountain recreation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area