Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 04:29 PM

27 posts, read 103,038 times

Advertisements

Seeking opinions about the school districts in Fort Collins, Windsor, Johnstown, and Loveland.... We've heard such great things about the Poudre schools, but would like some input on schools in the other districts. In addition to FC, we're looking at homes in Windsor and Johnstown. How are the schools there? We really like some houses in these areas, but if the schools aren't great there, we're going to focus more on Fort Collins/Poudre. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 05:41 PM

169 posts, read 670,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possible relo View Post
Seeking opinions about the school districts in Fort Collins, Windsor, Johnstown, and Loveland.... We've heard such great things about the Poudre schools, but would like some input on schools in the other districts. In addition to FC, we're looking at homes in Windsor and Johnstown. How are the schools there? We really like some houses in these areas, but if the schools aren't great there, we're going to focus more on Fort Collins/Poudre. Any thoughts? Thanks!
There is a recent thread in here on that exact question. There are also many (many) other threads in the past year or two as well. Not to be rude, but please do a search first and then ask the question. Much of this info is already out there. Also check greatschools.net for each district/schools

Old 02-22-2009, 08:53 PM

You are probably referring to a thread I started a couple of weeks ago, that included several questions about the area. Never got much of a response regarding the schools, so I thought I'd ask again. I have checked some past posts and Greatschools but not all schools have reviews by parents and those that do aren't always the most up to date. I'm sorry if my question bothered you, just want to get some fresh opinions and perspectives from those in the area.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
You are probably referring to a thread I started a couple of weeks ago, that included several questions about the area. Never got much of a response regarding the schools, so I thought I'd ask again. I have checked some past posts and Greatschools but not all schools have reviews by parents and those that do aren't always the most up to date. I'm sorry if my question bothered you, just want to get some fresh opinions and perspectives from those in the area.
no problem - maybe someone will post some info. I just know I have seen many threads on the subject so if this one doesn't produce anything your best bet is to search the forum.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:04 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,372,939 times
I went to college there in the 1990's at CSU and did a lot of volunteer work at Johnson Elementary School. I would have to say that I was very impressed with the school district in Fort Collins but like any city it does matter what school you go to. From my knowledge as a outsider I would say any high school in the city is good but I liked Rocky Mountain High and Fort Collins high the best for junior high and elementary I would have my child go to the schools in the south part of town. Johnson elementary school was very good as well as Preston Jr High and Webber junior high.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:03 PM

566 posts, read 1,933,688 times
In our family we made the school choice the number one priority. Then we chose a place to live. With that in mind FC has two great charter schools: Ridgeview Classical and Liberty Common. Both are top rated schools in Colorado. In fact, Ridgeview was rated the fourth best school in the U.S..

Old 02-23-2009, 01:26 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,939,847 times
When I lived in Fort Collins, Poudre R-1 school district was said to be one of the very best districts in the state, if not the best. Many teachers I've known over the years have told me that many teachers around Colorado try very hard to land a position in Poudre.

Nearby Thompson school district in Loveland is also known to be very good. Thompson actually covers parts of the extreme south of Fort Collins as well. I've heard some people say that Thompson is not as good as Poudre, and there may be a grain of truth to that, but from what I've seen they are both very good.

Poudre and Thompson only cover Larimer County. Weld County, to the east, is arguably a step down from either of them. This is not to say that you can't find good schools in Weld County, just that the sterling reputation that Poudre and Thompson has is not shared by any of the Weld County districts. Note that the town of Windsor is split between Larimer and Weld, with the Larimer County portion tied in with Poudre R-1.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:07 PM

Thanks for your input everyone... great info, very helpful. I think you've helped us confirm that we should probably focus on Poudre. Now we just need to find the house!! Thanks again

Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,605 posts, read 57,568,971 times
Quote:
...you've helped us confirm that we should probably focus on Poudre. ...
Don't rule out Loveland, (I'm a 'Big T' alumni, pre '76 flood) as you might appreciate its 'livability' + sense of community (Ft Collins is pretty BIG). Not sure of the ages of your kids or their 'bent' towards 'learning or sports'. They may be less likely to 'get-lost' in the system in Loveland. Ft Collins may have benefits too, But I would try both places on for size, you should find them each acceptable.

Most of my friends in Ft Collins send their kids to private schools, about 80% in Loveland use public school. - private choices I'm sure, You will need to investigate and see which feels best.

Finding a house in either place is not gonna be a problem... BUT... I always recommend AGAINST buying a fairly new tract home, As they can be a bear to get rid of if you get another edict to 'move'. (there are a zillion others FS) I try to find something a bit 'unique'... older home on a park, something with class / identity / rural / view...

I like the area west of downtown Loveland (Westside Park) or near the park on SE side of Lake Loveland (Veteran's park)

Ft Collins has some very beautiful older homes too.

Good luck, you should love NoCo

Old 02-24-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Finding a house in either place is not gonna be a problem... BUT... I always recommend AGAINST buying a fairly new tract home, As they can be a bear to get rid of if you get another edict to 'move'. (there are a zillion others FS) I try to find something a bit 'unique'... older home on a park, something with class / identity / rural / view...
I prefer FC to Loveland BUT I agree that buying an older home in an established area is the best bet. More unique homes, mature landscaping, solid older neighborhoods -- all this makes for a better resale and better living IMO. If you are looking in FC stay north of Drake and even better north of Prospect.

BTW FC (actually Larimer county which includes Loveland too) has a great GIS tool that you can use via the internet to get insight on crime stats in areas, property values, taxes, school districts, flood plains, etc.

Look up a property: Larimer County Property Explorer (good info on current taxes for the property as well as official sq footage etc)

Browse the FC GIS maps (use the icons on top to select different functions - this one is set to Flood Plains by default, but you can get to the other maps in the menu on the left):

FC: FCMaps: GIS Web Mapping Application

IMO the above tools are awesome...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area