U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2007, 06:29 AM

2 posts, read 29,372 times

Advertisements

My DH might be job applying for a job in Greeley. We are from Long Island, NY and are looking for a change of lifestyle. We have 3 small boys and want them to have a good school district and be close to shopping and outdoor activities. I am alittle nervous about people saying that there is a negative attitude towards newcomers. However, being from the NYC area I think we could handle it. Other people were saying the drivers there are agressive!! Have they ever been on the LIE?? How far of a drive is it from Greeley to Loveland or south Fort Collins??? I was also reading about the political parties out there. We are fairly liberal. Anyone know how much teachers make in Colorado?? I heard it wasn't the greatest. I have over 10 years experience teaching high school Spanish. Anyway, I know I threw a lot of questions out there..... hope someone can help us!!! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 AM

530 posts, read 2,371,154 times
Welcome, you will love CO. My family and I moved to Louisville, just south of Boulder last year from New Orleans. I grew up on Long Island and went to school in MI and TX. I have never seen a nicer community in my life. There might be some negative attitudes, but I've yet to see it. We have 2 kids 13 and 11 and they were accepted readily into their new schools. My daughter is in special ed and we love the programs she is in. My 13 yo son has made many friends and he says the kids are very friendly here. We opted for the Boulder Valley School district and we are very happy with it. As far as the drivers, you will always find some crazies around a big city, but compared to NY, I think you will find it quite calm. The Boulder area is very liberal, in fact some people like to call it the "People's Republic of Boulder". I don't know specifics about the Greely-Loveland area but I know that Ft Collins was rated one of the top places to live in the country recently. There is a lot of development in the area and I'm sure people will give you more specific info. As far as teaching positions, try to contact the individual school districts and I'm sure they can give you some info. Remember, people like to post more negative than positive stuff online. Don't let any of that deter you. You will absolutely love Colorado.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:49 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,516,166 times
Commute from South Fort Collins to Greeley I'd say about 40 minutes. Loveland to Greeley about 30 minutes. Maybe a little less in both cases if you live right off of I-25. There's luckily not all that much traffic (at least the last time I checked), so at least it's not a very frustrating drive though it is rather long.

Northern Colorado you'll find more conservative than you're probably used to, but there is a balance of political opinion there. It's not nearly as liberal as Boulder, but not as conservative as, say, Colorado Springs or the southern Denver suburbs either. Fort Collins proper is probably a little bit more progressive than the surrounding areas, but I think coming from the northeast I think you'd still find Fort Collins and all of Northern Colorado conservative.

When I lived in Fort Collins, I knew a lot of teachers who complained that it was extremely difficult to get a position in the Fort Collins (Poudre R-1) school district and some were forced to take positions in neighboring districts. That may turn out to be difficult, but my info is a bit out of date since I left Northern Colorado several years ago.

I don't think people are really all that unwelcoming to newcomers here. I think sometimes people like to complain about "Californians" and "Texans" (very convenient -- we get to blame all our problems on them!), but it's mostly jokingly and I think few if any have animosity against any individual newcomer in particular.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:09 AM

585 posts, read 1,950,368 times
We know a couple from back east (she's from Brookyln and he's from Jersey) and I haven't heard anything from them in regards to people not welcoming them. Their accents are pretty thick, I think people here find that charming.

They like it here a lot. Even their families followed here!

Old 04-02-2007, 01:40 PM

126 posts, read 564,285 times
I would definitely say have a job before moving. It's a very difficult job market up in that area. I know -- we had to move away because of it. I think that they're all relatively liberal cities, esp. Fort Collins with the college there. Greeley has a college too, but I believe it is somewhat more of a "cow town." There is tons of development in all areas. You may want to check out the new Centerra development in Loveland (closest you'll get in Loveland to the highway to Greeley).

Old 02-05-2011, 10:55 AM

161 posts, read 664,291 times
i have few co-workers who love loveland, they drive to denver everyday to work, and drive over 100 miles round trip everyday. they refuse to move from loveland.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 PM

97 posts, read 229,401 times
If you are talking JBS there are soo many people that live in SE Fort Collins and work there.They say its a 30 minute commute and not a big deal. I am not sure on the teacher salaries but a neighbor just moved here from Brooklyn NY and loves it. I could have you talk to her if you wish just let me know. Good luck in your search,
Allison Klein
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area