Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 8,009 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a non-traditional college student living in GA trying to finish my Bachelor's Degree in Interpreter Education. These programs are limited and my mobility is very limited! UNC has a distance program in Interpreter Education that requires summer "in house" classes in Greeley. Can you give me honest feedback about the town, the school, and the program if you have any info.
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 03:50 PM

697 posts, read 3,275,234 times
I work for the Weld County Sheriff's Office in a law enforcement capacity and I will be brutally honest with you. Greeley does have a crime problem. Quite a large one for a city its size. We have a significant gang issue too. Again, very significant for a city its size. that being said, there is some good news, the crime seems to be isolated according to current trends. It appears that the crime stays in the same areas for the most part. So avoid those places and all will be fine. It is a great area and I was skeptical about moving here but I am glad I did.

As for UNC. I feel the school is great. The area around UNC is relatively safe. Every now and then we get some knucklehead who wants to stir up trouble, but for the most part, a safe area. I do not know about the specific program, but perhaps someone on here will.

My advice for some areas to avoid, based on current crime trends. I would avoid living (let me emphasize the word living. These areas are not all bad, just a little rough to live. But doing business and visiting is perfectly safe 99.9% of the time). A lot of areas around 11th ave seem to be bustling with gang activities at the current time. Their activities seem centered there though and are rarely violent towards innocent people. 35th ave seems to be another current hot spot between 10th and 20th streets. Finally, another rough area right now is HWY 34 between 11th ave and 35th ave for probably 5 to 7 blocks north and south of 34. Of course, no community is immune to crime, but these three are hot spots right now where most of our property, drug, and violent crimes are happening.

Hope this information helps. Greeley is a great town with a lot of great people. But just like any other town, we have dirt bags too. But according to crime trends, we are winning the fight there.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 8,009 times
Thanks for the info. It definitely helps!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area