U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:33 AM

4,022 posts, read 2,767,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weber View Post
Yes, your Ralphs / Kroger / City Market / King Soopers card is the one to get you the gas discounts. Safeway also has gas stations at which their grocery card accumulates discounts, depending on how much you spend in a month on groceries.

The Sam's in Fort Collins does not have gas pumps. I don't remember if the Loveland Sam's does.

Mike Weber
I have a Vons card, which is now owned by Safeway, so I assume that one would suffice in CO, too. I don't use it often so I don't meet a quota....

This just amazes me: no 'regular' grocery stores in CA have gas stations with them.....

Sometimes I feel that there is just too much Big Brother with these store cards......they know what you buy and sometimes send you coupons for those items, but still........ Ralphs now sends out a quarterly 'check' to be used in the store.....the amount depends on how much you spent during the previous quarter....I'd rather just get cheaper food all the way around but those days are gone.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
There was some talk earlier about Costco being an anchor tenant at a new development in the tiny town of Timnath, on Fort Collins southeastern borders at Harmony & I-25. That may have stalled due to the bad economy, however. But if you're holding out for Costco then that would at least indicate interest from the parent company, and of course Costco is already expanding in both Denver Metro and in Colorado Springs.

Trader Joe's, on the other hand, has shown no sign whatsoever of moving into Colorado, much as the population here would like them to do so. There has been much discussion on this topic -- one theory is that restrictive liquor laws are the difference maker, though some states like MD and PA have similar laws and do have TJ's. Another factor is possibly Colorado's unusual isolation from other metro areas, though the same thing could be said for Santa Fe, NM, which DOES have a TJ's. It bears pointing out that there's a lot of bigger states (Texas, for example) that don't have any issues with liquor laws or with isolation, and they still don't have TJ's either. I'd have to think that a market like Texas is going to get expansion before Colorado will.

In-n-out burger is another frequently asked about chain, but we're too far from their distribution network in Southern California, apparently, although Salt Lake City, UT apparently is just barely within their radius. I doubt we'll see an expansion from them unless they decide to open up a second distribution center somewhere, although even then I'd wonder if we'd be within their radius.

Ikea, on the other hand, is the next-most requested store by city-data relocatees, and there IS an Ikea under construction in Centennial, CO, a suburb of Denver.
Is Timnath the town where it was pretty much a master-planned development until the economy took a dive?

Eons ago, (at least 25+ years ago), I was an outside sales rep for a food company and called on Trader Joe's headquarters....either in Pasadena or S. Pasadena, (I'm senile and can't remember).....it was such a small operation, less than a dozen stores at that time, then it jumped to 18, then 21.....I just checked the site.....yeow, there are tons of them now! I sent a message and asked if they are ever going to set up shop in CO....if I get a response, I'll let you know....the next 2 to open will be in Corvallis and Hollywood, CA. Maybe I should do that on the Costco site, too, about Ft. Collins.....

Old 01-25-2010, 02:05 AM

Well, I see that Loveland has a Cracker Barrel, so that cheered me up....

Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 AM

1,605 posts, read 2,544,479 times
The only reason I added that PS to my post was because of the overwhelming number of people who move here and wonder why there are no Trader Joes.
Wurzig, you might search the Denver forum as there have been several threads on TJs. I called their corporate HQ a little over a year ago to get the straight scoop. The person I spoke with was very nice and said "yes, we know people want a TJs in CO. But there are no plans for any in the immediate future." (she sounded as though she had heard it a thousand times.) It has something to do with distribution, not liquor laws. In this economy it's doubtful that anything has changed. But you never know unless you ask, right?
BTW, when Boulder was renovating their shopping mall a few years ago TJs was one of the most requested stores.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:42 AM

614 posts, read 1,040,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Is Timnath the town where it was pretty much a master-planned development until the economy took a dive?
Timnath was a sleepy farming community just east of Fort Collins, until about 5-7 years ago, at which time they annexed a bunch of farmland around them, and added even more into their growth management area. All of this land does have a master plan for its use. The rate at which the plan is proceeding is slower than originally anticipated, due to the economy, but it is still proceeding.

They have a new exclusive golf club and several new housing developments. A super Wal-Mart opened there in the last year, and they just completed a new bridge / gateway into town. They are working on a re-alignment of the main county road around the historic downtown area, along with some infrastructure improvements.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
The only reason I added that PS to my post was because of the overwhelming number of people who move here and wonder why there are no Trader Joes.
Wurzig, you might search the Denver forum as there have been several threads on TJs. I called their corporate HQ a little over a year ago to get the straight scoop. The person I spoke with was very nice and said "yes, we know people want a TJs in CO. But there are no plans for any in the immediate future." (she sounded as though she had heard it a thousand times.) It has something to do with distribution, not liquor laws. In this economy it's doubtful that anything has changed. But you never know unless you ask, right?
BTW, when Boulder was renovating their shopping mall a few years ago TJs was one of the most requested stores.
Yep, I have seen some of those threads on Trader Joe's....and all this time, I was thinking that all those people had formerly lived in CA....now that I am putting 2 and 2 together, that is probably what surprised me when I saw their map last night...to learn that people were (formerly) from many states that already had them..... There were so many stores on the other half of the USA....I had no clue that they had spread that far...and was also surprisaed that they skipped over quite a few states closer to CA, including CO.

I believe that is In and Out's response when they are asked to spread out to areas farther away.....they advertise as being fresh and don't want to be over a certain distance from their distrubiton centers. I hadn't been to one for many years but there are several of them in this area. I took my girls to one during semester break. The burger was huge, but only because it had about 850 lbs. of lettuce in it, (well, I stretched it a bit, maybe it was 849). The meat was very thin. It tasted okay, but I wasn't impressed.

I'm curious. Did CO used to have the blue laws like the south? You know, where they didn't sell liquor in grocery stores, and if they did, they roped it off during late hours and on Sundays, or something along that line.... I have lived in CA my whole life, so this was a real shock to me when I first learned about it @ 20 years ago.....

Back to Trader's: I live by one, but don't go there often. Even though they carry items one can't find elsewhere, the crowds are overwhelming and I don't like to shop where I feel as if somebody is going to run over me with a cart...yuppies in this area become annoyed if you slow down to look at something on a shelf... I've been in quite a few Trader Joe's over the past 35 years...they're all crowded..

I sent Costco a note this morning.....I'll post here if they respond....

Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Weber View Post
Timnath was a sleepy farming community just east of Fort Collins, until about 5-7 years ago, at which time they annexed a bunch of farmland around them, and added even more into their growth management area. All of this land does have a master plan for its use. The rate at which the plan is proceeding is slower than originally anticipated, due to the economy, but it is still proceeding.

They have a new exclusive golf club and several new housing developments. A super Wal-Mart opened there in the last year, and they just completed a new bridge / gateway into town. They are working on a re-alignment of the main county road around the historic downtown area, along with some infrastructure improvements.
Thanks for the info, Mike. Maybe Costco did indeed have plans for that area......if they answer my question, I'll post it here...

Old 01-26-2010, 07:54 AM

614 posts, read 1,040,196 times
Quote:
I'm curious. Did CO used to have the blue laws like the south? You know, where they didn't sell liquor in grocery stores, and if they did, they roped it off during late hours and on Sundays, or something along that line.... I have lived in CA my whole life, so this was a real shock to me when I first learned about it @ 20 years ago.....
Only in the last couple of years has Colorado allowed liquor stores to be open on Sunday. The grocery stores sell a limited amount of low alcohol content liquor (beer primarily), and not the larger selection of wine and hard liquor found in grocery stores in CA.

Blue laws still have the car dealerships closed on Sunday in this area.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:27 AM

1,605 posts, read 2,544,479 times
Quote:
I believe that is In and Out's response when they are asked to spread out to areas farther away.....they advertise as being fresh and don't want to be over a certain distance from their distrubiton centers. I hadn't been to one for many years but there are several of them in this area. I took my girls to one during semester break. The burger was huge, but only because it had about 850 lbs. of lettuce in it, (well, I stretched it a bit, maybe it was 849). The meat was very thin. It tasted okay, but I wasn't impressed.
We were in Tucson last year and I was surprised to see In-N-Out there. When we go to CA it's a "tradition" for us to stop by and get a burger, but I agree w/you that they really are not "the best". (Actually, we go to get a t-shirt.) For the BEST burger ever go to Five Guys. One opened recently in Longmont. It's a long drive for us, but when I have the urge for a burger that's where I'll go. Second place goes to Red Robin.

Mike W covered the liquor situation here. No wine or hard liquor sold anywhere but liquor stores. I've lived here for so long that it's normal for me, so when I travel it always hits me when I go to a Target or grocery store and there are aisles of wine and booze! There is one Costco in Denver where you can buy it, one World Market and I recently read that there is one grocery store but I can't remember which one. Things are changing... slowly.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:47 PM

27 posts, read 68,827 times
Fort Collins has a Five Guys, near the SuperTarget. Smashburger on Harmony is good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area